Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

unclasified

ironman5669

OK, I shoot at a local club ( two actually) that are not uspsa clubs. however many of the shooters are uspsa members, a few are even gms. the problem is, they all shoot open class. I shoot limited.

I usually shoot about 75 percent of the gm who wins the match. but since he is in open and I am in limited, i dont know how I would measure up to other limited shooters, anyone care to speculate? ( I am Usually in the top 3 in limited, but none of the limited shooters are classified)

Anything we say would be a wild guess. There's just no way we could speculate based on standings from a non sanctioned USPSA match. The only way you'll really know, is to find a sanctioned club, that holds sanctioned USPSA shoots with USPSA classifiers and get a USPSA membership.

Your Classifications are based on performances on USPSA classifiers, not overall standings. (Otherwise, I wouldn't be a C class, lol) Ask the local USPSA shooters where they shoot.

Edited by Aristotle

How are they scoring the match? They might be using the USPSA scoring software and are just not affiliated with USPSA anymore or never were. If they are using ez-winscore, ask the stats guy to print you out or email you a copy of the results with combined divisions. You can tabulate the results with everybody combined, that will get you a percentage of the overall winner, even if they are in open.

Tom

Anything we say would be a wild guess. There's just no way we could speculate based on standings from a non sanctioned USPSA match. The only way you'll really know, is to find a sanctioned club, that holds sanctioned USPSA shoots with USPSA classifiers and get a USPSA membership.

Your Classifications are based on performances on USPSA classifiers, not overall standings. (Otherwise, I wouldn't be a C class, lol) Ask the local USPSA shooters where they shoot.

I am a uspsa member already, there are just no clubs close enough for me to get there. some of the guys have larger pocketbooks than I do and can afford to travel farther!!!

How are they scoring the match? They might be using the USPSA scoring software and are just not affiliated with USPSA anymore or never were. If they are using ez-winscore, ask the stats guy to print you out or email you a copy of the results with combined divisions. You can tabulate the results with everybody combined, that will get you a percentage of the overall winner, even if they are in open.

Tom

they are scoring uspsa format and i shoot about 75 percent of the total, but that includes open class shooters. wouldnt i be scored against other limited shooters?

If you are shooting 75% of the open Gm who is winning the match, I would say you are easily putting up A class scores in limited if not higher.

Tom

thanks, that is about what I figured, I wish the local clubs were uspsa clubs, then I could see how i compare to other shooters all over the country.

If you are shooting 75% of the open Gm who is winning the match, I would say you are easily putting up A class scores in limited if not higher.

Tom

It's often not that simple. For example, at Nationals only three or four Open A shooters shot 75%+ of the match winner and only a similar number of M shooters were above 85% (don't recall the exact number but it was low). Either most of those folks aren't really A or M shooters or the percentages don't work out that perfectly when you look at one match.

Just because a GM is the best shooter at a match doesn't mean that they're a 100% shooter or that they shot all that well (for a GM) at that match. If they had a so-so day, it might really only be an 85% day, but nobody else was good enough to beat them. Shooting 75% of that turns into 63.5%. Add in that it's with a Limited gun and it'll be higher, but not necessarily A or more.

Now, if the GM happens to be one of a small handful of five or six guys and you're shooting 75% of them with a Limited gun then maybe it works out, but that's not so likely. Just too hard to tell really....too many variables. R,

Tom

It's often not that simple. For example, at Nationals only three or four Open A shooters shot 75%+ of the match winner and only a similar number of M shooters were above 85% (don't recall the exact number but it was low). Either most of those folks aren't really A or M shooters or the percentages don't work out that perfectly when you look at one match.

Just because a GM is the best shooter at a match doesn't mean that they're a 100% shooter or that they shot all that well (for a GM) at that match. If they had a so-so day, it might really only be an 85% day, but nobody else was good enough to beat them. Shooting 75% of that turns into 63.5%. Add in that it's with a Limited gun and it'll be higher, but not necessarily A or more.

Now, if the GM happens to be one of a small handful of five or six guys and you're shooting 75% of them with a Limited gun then maybe it works out, but that's not so likely. Just too hard to tell really....too many variables. R,

Exactly what I was thinking.

Tom

In addition to Bart's observations, I have noticed that the spread from GM to others tends to open up at major matches. I know that some GMs experiment at club matches and try stuff that they would probably not risk at a major. And there may be some tendency to go on cruise control. By that I mean to shoot good enough to beat the local crowd but not really hang it out there.

Why don't you talk to the other shooters that are USPSA members and try to organize a push to get sanctioned?

Later,

Chuck