Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 load data for major pf

fishnfst

I've just finished browsing all 13 pages of this forum.  Man there is a lot of info here.  Patrick I saw some misc. data that you posted using a 180grn bullet and bullseye.  I am currently loading for my .45 and have lots of bullseye on hand.  It would be great to be able to use it in my .40 also.  On hand I also have ww231, WSF, WST, Blue Dot, International Clays and Unique.  By far I have a lot of bullseye, Unique and International clays.  I would like to load either a 165 grn or 180 grain to make major pf.  Which of these should I try and in what combination?  Just looking for starting data and I'll work up.  I am currently shooting a glock 22 with the stock barrel.  I will only be shooting jacketed bullets loaded as close saami spec length as my magazine will allow.  My stock barrel has quite a long throat in it one that far exceeds my magazine length.  Any and all info would be much appreciated.  Anyone with any data using the bullseye would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks

Doug

Should I go to a lighter bullet?  If so would I still be able to make the major pf with something lighter?  Or should I choose  a different powder to start with?  Thanks for the quick reply Patrick.

Doug

fishnfst,

I have loaded many rounds of 180gr. FMJ .40's for my G22 and G35 using WW231 but a couple of years ago I started using WST and found I like it better for both full power loads and reduced loads.

A MAX loading listed in the Winchester data is 5.0gr./WST with a 180gr. bullet for 900 fps @ 28,100 psi.

I use this load with a Winchester bullet in the Glocks and the Walther P99 with very good results.

I'm not much on PF any longer but if memory serves me, this should be a 162 PF. ??

The 231 loading of 5.0gr. is listed as 950 fps @ 33,200 psi. PF being 171. ??

As far as MAX .40S&W loads and Glock pistols. I've never had a problem, never blown a gun but, don't use your brass too many times with full power loads.

Good luck.

here is couple loads...

5.0 grns of universal/180 grn plated berry's bullet @1.135 OAL/ average velocity 965 fps out of 5 inch schueman bbl.

5.5 grns N340/180 grn plated berry's bullet @1.135 OAL/average velocity is 950 fps from same bbl above.

of course YMMV.

Stick with the 180's, and if you simply must use your supply of Bullseye, abandon your brass after four loadings or so.  (I used to much more cavalier about 40 brass, but recent struggling and cursing with brass of dubious ancestry has me much more cautious.)

Thanks Patrick, I have an unlimited supply of once fired .40 brass.  The brass has been shot out of berettas not glocks.  I load them once and then dump them.  I think I saw your load was 4.7 grains with a 180 col 1.135, using bullseye of course.  I saw on the hodgdon website that the max load is 5.5 grains for a 180grn jacketed bullet.  I will start with your 4.7 and work up.  

THanks

Doug

Glock 22s and Clays are a bad combination. Watch your brass closely to see if your barrel has adequate support. I have a 1st generation G22 and the barrel did not adequately support the brass.

I use 4.3 grs. of Titegroup with a 180 gr plated bullet loaded to 1.125". I get an average of 935 fps. out of a G35. I have to bump the charge to 4.6 grs. and 1.200" OAL in my Kimber .40. The 4.3 gr load is very easy on the brass. No "guppy belly" brass even with a stock Glock barrel.

• 6 months later...

Thanks guy's, but I forgot to mention I'm shooting a Glock 22. I have some loads worked up, 180 gr fmj, over 5.2 of 231, oal 1.123, 5.6, oal 1.122, 5.8, oal 1.130, and 6.2, oal 1.130, any advice is welcome. I don't want to create to much pressure. Thanks!!!

Nothing beats some good load books, a keen eye for pressure, and a chronograph...using someone else's recipes off the web is risky at best.

That said...I have been using 4.5g of TiteGroup @ 1.135 OAL in my Glock (and a Para).  So far...so good.  Makes about 170pf.   Start low and build up.  Watch for signs of pressure.  Use at your own risk.