Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NC Sectional 2009 Ant Hill

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say what a great match the NC crew put on. Squadded with a great group of guys from Virginia. We shot Saturday. Started at 0800 and were walking off the range by 1PM. Ant Hill Range is an absolutely beautiful range. The CRO's, RO's and staff were top-notch. Thanks for putting on such an enjoyable match. Some of everything in the stages; memory (tombstone), speed, some long shots, steel, high round count stages. And the weather guessers were wrong. They said rain and 75 degrees; we had sun and 86 degrees

Kudos!!

Edited by pas44

Just out of curiosity what was your favorite stage and what did you like about it.

Trying to make some notes for what the shooters are looking for in stage design.

Thanks and I am glad that all had a great time.

Congrats to the winners, shooters and staff it was a great match.

Looking forward to where and whenever the next Sectional will be.

Before I levy any criticism, I must thank everyone that busted their butts to make the NC Section a great match. It was a lot of fun, it was VERY well organized, and EVERYONE on the ENTIRE staff was polite, helpful and prepared.

What I liked was the size of the stages. Big round count, some long hard shots, tight shots and a little hosing too! I also really got a kick out of the tombstone stage, although I was very slow on it, trying to make sure I got all my hits.

The only negative that our group commented on were the many opportunities to break the 180. There were a LOT of shots right along the line.

Otherwise, I spent over 12 hours in the car with 3 new friends, I had a great dinner and shot a fun match. I could only be happier if I beat Eddie.

Seth Markowitz

This was my third time working the NC Sectional (twice at Ant Hill) My daughters second. We plan on doing it every year we can. As always, had a great time. It's a lot of work, but ROing a big match is almost as much fun as shooting it.

All the stages were great. Well, I didn't completely enjoy Tombstone. Note to self, try not to finish on a 100% memory stage. Didn't have much memory left when we got there. I think I did ok all in all.

Just out of curiosity what was your favorite stage and what did you like about it.

Trying to make some notes for what the shooters are looking for in stage design.

Thanks and I am glad that all had a great time.

Congrats to the winners, shooters and staff it was a great match.

Looking forward to where and whenever the next Sectional will be.

Well I actually liked all of the stages, which I did not think that I would from the written stage descriptions. I did not think that I would like a lot of the stages because I compete in revolver division. Having to reload 4-5 times on the majority of the stages was daunting to me, but I managed to get into a rhythm that held for me throughout the match. Of the stages I liked the most The Octagon, Holding The Stick, and Tombstone Territory stand out the most to me.

Before I levy any criticism, I must thank everyone that busted their butts to make the NC Section a great match. It was a lot of fun, it was VERY well organized, and EVERYONE on the ENTIRE staff was polite, helpful and prepared.

What I liked was the size of the stages. Big round count, some long hard shots, tight shots and a little hosing too! I also really got a kick out of the tombstone stage, although I was very slow on it, trying to make sure I got all my hits.

The only negative that our group commented on were the many opportunities to break the 180. There were a LOT of shots right along the line.

Otherwise, I spent over 12 hours in the car with 3 new friends, I had a great dinner and shot a fun match. I could only be happier if I beat Eddie.

Seth Markowitz

The 180 was no issue, in my opinion, gun handling and shot execution is the shooters responsibility and part of the sport. IMHO I did not see anything that was a problem with any of the stages as far as the 180.

Constructive criticism on the flipper: hard to score the swinging no shoot and possible shoot thru- was it a no shoot only or a no shoot with a hit on a target- no way to really determine or score properly. . . .too much of a variable on the possible shoot thru-same if the shooter reloaded after the first flipper window- if a reload or 2 static were engaged fromt he second window one might get a no shoot and a hit on one of the 2 second window targets. . . how to determine or score??? bno real way to determine if the far no shoot was hit from where. . .

my .2

yep- i was not penalized on the flipper just so u know. . . just bad, slow shooting on my part. . . .just an observation.

weigh in folks,. . .

It wasn't an 'issue'... there were just a lot of places that the line could easily be crossed. Obviously it wasn't that big a deal, as there were few DQs.

I thought Flipper was going to be an issue. It was quite easy to lean out and take the targets behind the swinging no-shoot from the port before you get there, then hit the activator and clamshell. My squad never had to deal with it.

Paul and I came down from Ohio, and really enjoyed the match. Ant Hill is a georgous range! Like shooting a match on a golf course. Much nicer than the gravel pits we are used to up here, and easier on the feet and knees. I liked the big round count field courses, and liked the flipper stage the best. I thought I had some pretty good times until I saw the scores. Chris Tilley must me hell on wheels! Wished I could have saw him shoot some stages. We shot with some great guys from Virginia, congradulations on winning SS Ed! And the Calabash seafood in the area was top notch! I'm already planning next year to shoot this, then use a week of my time share in Myrtle Beach (only an hour away).

Quote from OPENB: "Chris Tilley must me hell on wheels!"

That he is! :) It really is a pleasure and a schooling to watch him shoot. But you better not blink.

I worked Stages 8 & 9 with Phudd and his daughter. We had a great time working with a really good staff. Enjoyed working with all the shooters as well; everyone seemed to be enjoying the match.

I was pleased with my own shooting on Friday, although I had a major brain fade and forgot a target on Octagon. Tombstone was "interesting". I was slow but managed to get all my hits. Good stages otherwise.

Looking forward to next year's match.

I manage to come in first in my class, but there were not enough revolver shooters in the class for me to get a plaque. <_< It is disheartening to me that I shot the best I could in the match, and because of something I have no control over (the number of shooters in my class) I cannot get an award. There were other classes in revolver division where a similar outcome occurred, so I was not alone.

It just does not seem right that at a state level competition where competitors are preregistered that at least first place awards are not available for every class that has competitors. There is never a guarantee that enough competitors will be in any specific class to have awards given by the method that I was advised. There were only two B class shooters, so there was not an award for the top B class shooter. I am a D class shooter myself and working on advancing up in class. I could realistically go to matches and even if I advance in class, win my class and get no award because not enough people were in my class. :(

Blueridge...I understand your situation completely. I also was first in my class, but there were not enough competitors in that class to award a plaque. And I understand your frustration.

But the section did do what the rulebook proposes, i.e. a minimum of 3 in class for a first place plaque, minimum of 6 to award first and second, etc. It's pretty well known that that is how awards are done at Level II and above matches.

Congratulations on your match performance. I hope that you have many more first place finishes.

Blueridge...I understand your situation completely. I also was first in my class, but there were not enough competitors in that class to award a plaque. And I understand your frustration.

But the section did do what the rulebook proposes, i.e. a minimum of 3 in class for a first place plaque, minimum of 6 to award first and second, etc. It's pretty well known that that is how awards are done at Level II and above matches.

Congratulations on your match performance. I hope that you have many more first place finishes.

Maybe the way IDPA presents awards spoils me. :blush:

"Trophies will be awarded based on number of contestants per class and division and go to the top third of those competitors One (1) trophy should be awarded for every three (3) shooters entered in a particular division and class."

Example:

1-3 shooters in SSP/MM = 1 trophy

4-6 shooters in SSP/MM = 2 trophies

7-9 shooters in SSP/MM = 3 trophies

I don't expect USPSA to change, but I like the IDPA method better. :)

(On an unrelated topic, I plan to shoot production with my revolver this year at least once [maybe 2-3 times] just to see how many production shooters that I can finish ahead of. :lol::D )

Edited by Blueridge

I think that there should be a plaque for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the division... not by class. The class system is fine for documenting progression... and that's it.

I didn't finish 4th C, I finished 26th Limited out of 51.

Edited by Seth

I liked the match, and great job from the staff. It's been many years since I shot Ant Hill, and the range was as beautiful as I remembered it. Some *golf courses* aren't as immaculate or groomed.

I liked Tombstone, Holding the Stick and ended up liking the Octagon, though at first I thought it was silly. It was a blast to shoot. The other stages...neither here nor there. I did actively dislike Flipper, probably because it crushed me, but I agree about a swinging no-shoot being tough to score, and it blatantly rewarded taller shooters. I also agree with you, Seth, about the 180 -- there were many stages with the targets right at the 180, for sure. It wasn't dangerous, but you had to put the throttles on mid-stage to avoid overrunning an array.

Will the match be there for 2009? Or back at SWRGC?

Edited by boo radley

You're right and I apologize. I didn't mean to denigrate anyone's achievements.

I hang onto each and every match finish like its the Ultimate Achievement in my life....

Seth (editing my post as well)

Actually, that is NOT what the rulebook says in Appendix A2:

Unless otherwise specified, USPSA sanctioned matches will recognize Divisions and Categories based on the number of registered competitors who actually compete in the match, based on the following criteria:

1. Divisions

Level I and Level II

A minimum of 5 competitors per Division (recommended)

Level III / Nationals

A minimum of 10 competitors per Division (mandatory)

2. Categories

Division status must be achieved before Categories are recognized.

All level matches: A minimum of 5 competitors per Division

Category (see approved list below)

3. Individual Categories:

Categories approved for individual recognition are as follows:

a. Lady

b. Junior Competitors under the age of 18 on the first day of the match.

c. Senior Competitors over the age of 55 on the first day of the match

d. Super Senior Competitors over the age of 65 on the first day of the match. A competitor over the age of 65 on the first day of the match may enter Senior Category only if Super Senior is unavailable.

e. Military Military personnel on current active duty orders.

f. Law Full-time law enforcement officers with arrest powers.

4. Individual Classes:

Division status must be achieved before Classes are recognized.

Level I and Level II

A minimum of 5 competitors per Class (recommended)
-(bold emphasis added)

Level III and Nationals

A minimum of 10 competitors per Class (mandatory)

The NC section was more generous than they were required to be. Since it is "recommended" rather than "mandatory," they chose to award a larger amount of places. At the up-coming SC section match, we will also start Division, Class & Category recognition at 3 shooters and not at 5.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

I liked the match, and great job from the staff. It's been many years since I shot Ant Hill, and the range was as beautiful as I remembered it. Some *golf courses* aren't as immaculate or groomed.

I liked Tombstone, Holding the Stick and ended up liking the Octagon, though at first I thought it was silly. It was a blast to shoot. The other stages...neither here nor there. I did actively dislike Flipper, probably because it crushed me, but I agree about a swinging no-shoot being tough to score, and it blatantly rewarded taller shooters. I also agree with you, Seth, about the 180 -- there were many stages with the targets right at the 180, for sure. It wasn't dangerous, but you had to put the throttles on mid-stage to avoid overrunning an array.

Will the match be there for 2009? Or back at SWRGC?

Boo, the match is back at SWGC for the next 2 years. I will be testing stages over the next year or so. I will also be looking for stages, from others.