Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Brass less "Glocked" in aftermarket barrel?

Rob D

I just got a G35 and I'm planning to switch to limited next year. I'm getting this gun set up for the 2010 season, and am considering a few different mods.

I know the "glocked" brass topic has been beaten silly on the forums, but I couldn't find a thread that pertained to my specific question, which is: If I replace the stock barrel in my G35 with an aftermarket barrel, will I avoid the "glocked" brass issue that is common to 40 cal glocks. If so, how much reliability am I giving up by switching to a tighter chamber? I definitely want to reload and I've found the thread on fixing glocked brass, but I was wondering if going to a KKM or something similar would let me avoid the issue all together. I don't plan on shooting lead and I've been completely happy with the stock barrel in my 34, I've just heard that 40 is much more prone to bulging brass.

What do you guys that shoot 40major glocks in limited do?

Yes the "stock" bl. does give the bulge in the brass.

This is do to it having less support in the bl.

You will have next to NONE in the after markets.

I have Lone Wolf and KKM and you wont have any

problems reloading those at all. Or pick up a EGW

udie for the .40 and load them all. I have reloaded

the Glock brass with out a udie- some time they feed

and some time they don't. Check them in the chamber

before the match!! Good luck :cheers:

I just got a PM about that. The newer barrels are supposed to be a lot better. I think I'm going to give mine a try and just get the EGW U die if I have any problems. No point dropping cash on the barrel if I can reload from the stock one.

I just got a PM about that. The newer barrels are supposed to be a lot better. I think I'm going to give mine a try and just get the EGW U die if I have any problems. No point dropping cash on the barrel if I can reload from the stock one.

All of the stock Glock barrels going back for 15 years or more have fully supported chambers. Here is a pic of a G22 barrel from a gun I bought in 94 or 95 next to a new Schuemann .40 Classic AET. You'll note the actual amount of support is nearly identical.

P1010025.jpg

The reason the .40 barrels give the guppy belly Glock brass is that the chamber diameter is larger at the mouth than many other common guns. This is to enhance reliability in feeding. Regardless, when the round goes off, the case expands and it's fully supported against the chamber. It's just that the chamber is larger that causes the buldge. The little bit you see that isn't supported is the web of the case which is thick enough that it's not going to really expand...if it does, it's a case blowout, which is different.

9mm Glocks don't do this nearly as much and it's probably due to two reasons. One, the diameter is smaller to start with, so the same percentage oversize is less in actual inches/mm. Two, 9mm is a tapered round to start with, so they probably don't have to open the mouth diameter as much to get the same reliability...this is also why 9mm in general tends to be so reliable. Lastly, and it's just a guess, but the fact that the resizing die is already set up for a tapered round might allow it to get a little farther down on the case without resorting to an undersized die....they can make them tight to start with since the mouth of the die is always going to be larger than the case neck diameter.

A new G35 barrel is going to give you brass that has the belly...it's just the way it is. An aftermarket barrel will remove the problem and should be equally reliable since you're not going to be shooting it with ammo coated in gunk, a super dirty chamber etc....the reasons why the Glock has the larger chamber mouth to start with. R,

Edit to add:

I just measured some factory new Win ammo and once-fired Win factory ammo that was shot out of a G22 today. The web area that is exposed in the picture measured .4215" on both the fired and unfired rounds. Just forward of that is where the belly starts....in the area completely supported ;) by steel

Edited by G-ManBart

I have a G22 I bought 4 years ago new. I have shot some pretty hot loads through it and I have absolutely no problem with bulging. The people who posted that glocks have changed that are absolutely correct. Shoot away and don't worry. If you get a new barrel you may have to do some work to make it as reliable. I had to take some off of the ridge from the ramp into the chamber of my aftermarket for my G30.

Edited by Mattog22