Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide speed

BushBaby

I watched a documentary on fire arms a while back but cant remember who it was by. On that documentary it said that slide speed is equal to the speed of light. Well I'm no math wizz, but does any one know how fast a slide really moves open limited or production?

I watched a documentary on fire arms a while back but cant remember who it was by. On that documentary it said that slide speed is equal to the speed of light. Well I'm no math wizz, but does any one know how fast a slide really moves open limited or production?

The speed of light?? WOW. Sure wish you could remember where you heard that!

Slide speed varies a LOT. I've seen open and limited guns that were so slow that you

had to wait for them. Usually you can see them move. Fastest I've noticed was a

Hk P7, it was so quick that I couldn't see it move. But then my eyes are darned near

60 years old, and my glasses are NEVER very clean.

SO---how fast is that? Let's toss out some numbers. Say the slide cycles in

.05 seconds (1200 RPM, pretty fast), and it moves a total of 2.5 inches---

1.25 back and 1.25 forward. That's 3000 inches, or 250 Feet per minute.

I've got a BB gun that beats that by quite a bit. :roflol:

Speed of light is 186,000 miles per second? Heck---the speed of SOUND is

4 times faster than the slide.

Think about it: If the slide is moving at the speed of light then the ejected round has to move at about the same speed and the round being stripped from the mag and moved to the chamber likewise rather quickly. Meanwhile the bullet is putt putt putting along out the barrel at less than 2000 fps.

If I recall the speed of light is roughly 300 million meters per second.

Well if it's true, I look forward to shooting an entire stage before the bullets hit, and all the while growing younger as the time-space continuum is ripped asunder by my slide warping in and out of phase. Maybe it will even open a time-portal so I can go back and shoot some dinosaurs.