Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Nationals Staff

mactiger

Well...not having my match count for score, is more than disappointing. The wife (by then) and I were going to go until reading this thread. So at every other match we RO at, we can magically have the RO's shoot the match and their scores count but once again our National championship leaves its members wanting.

Rich

Dawg, if you work one and shoot one the one you shoot will count for score. Whats been said is that if there was a "RO match" your scores wouldn't count. The RO match would consist of a half dozen or so stages that were more on the complicated side. I've been to a few nationals so far and there hasn't been a RO match at any of them. There just hasn't been time to put one together.

~John

Rich,

I don't think EVERY other match you have shot has the number of RO's needed that the Nationals does. What's wrong whit shooting a match and working a match unless you wanted to shoot both. I've never been to an area match that has as many stages as the Nationals and most of the area matches I have attended had the RO's late into the evening.

Troy,

What is the thinking behind staff not shooting for score???

It's mostly a time issue with the regular handgun nationals, but we also want to avoid any opportunity for someone to claim conflict of interest where a penalty, DQ, or scoring call is made. As I said in my previous note, we have never, to my knowledge, had anyone make that claim, but staff has not (as long as I've been involved, anyway) shot for score unless they were doing the W1S1 thing. This isn't meant as a slam to either staff or competitors, but I've sat in or handled enough arbs and contentious penalties to know that people will say anything in the heat of the moment. That's just human nature. Not having staff shoot for score in a match that they officiate takes that angle away.

The timing issue aside (it costs $$ to provide housing and food for staff, so extra days are expensive), the RO's would have to basically RO themselves for most of the courses, and that's another area where inconsistencies can arise. We just try to avoid those kind of problems.

Hope this helps.

Troy

+1 This is our (Daytona 500 or SuperBowl) and the Range Staff has worked well in recent years.

I think most everyone knows this is the one you need to decide: Do I want to shoot or work.

Or, on the back to back nationals format you can Work 1 and Shoot 1 for score.

Jeff

The wife is PISSED that I haven't volunteered yet... she wants to go to Vegas, but I can't afford to take 12 days off work... :angry:

Well, it starts and ends on weekends, so you could conceivably only have to take 5 days off work, unless you work every day, like I do. :wacko:

Troy

Any time I take off from my job is unpaid. We don't get paid vacations. :angry2:

Frank

Awww shuckies... I guess I can't disappoint the wife... went ahead and volunteered. Told her she had to work to though :)

Frank

I see the confusion.

I meant to say that staff doesn't get to shoot the match for free for score. If you get a slot, and enter, then of course your score will count--you'll be shooting the match as a competitor along with everyone else, and not RO'ing that match. I wanted to avoid the impression that staff could shoot the match at no cost and have their scores count. We don't do that as a general rule due to time constraints and wanting to avoid having competitors basically refereeing other competitors. It avoids any issues with conflict of interest, etc., (before we get into that discussion again, NO, I'm not saying the staff has or would cheat.) We do try to have a staff match, which consists of 6-8 stages, with results used for bragging rights. We also use that match to trouble shoot some of the more complex stages. As far as I know, match staff has never shot a handgun nationals for score, (Single Stack is the exception) unless they were doing the work-one, shoot-one option.

Hope this clears things up.

Troy

This is just good policy and those that really want to help out and be part of the match staff will make the sacrifice. Please resist pressure to change this.

Rich,

I don't think EVERY other match you have shot has the number of RO's needed that the Nationals does. What's wrong whit shooting a match and working a match unless you wanted to shoot both. I've never been to an area match that has as many stages as the Nationals and most of the area matches I have attended had the RO's late into the evening.

Let's see. At FTB3G we had 5 6 RO's per stage, 4 of which shot through all the stages in one day and that was WAY more complex than a pistol match. Bottom line is that I'm not willing to take a week off just so my score will count. If I'm going to work a match, the absolute LEAST is that the score counts for the match and since you can easily shoot 6-8 stages in half a day (we do it in CA all the time) unless the Nat's has pushing 20 stages, which is still do-able, I don't see it being a problem.

Rich

Rich,

Let's see. At FTB3G we had 5 6 RO's per stage, 4 of which shot through all the stages in one day and that was WAY more complex than a pistol match. Bottom line is that I'm not willing to take a week off just so my score will count. If I'm going to work a match, the absolute LEAST is that the score counts for the match and since you can easily shoot 6-8 stages in half a day (we do it in CA all the time) unless the Nat's has pushing 20 stages, which is still do-able, I don't see it being a problem.

Rich

It comes down to time. Competitors come first. We were running behind because of the weather last year. There was no we could of squeezed RO's through. Plus, as a National staffer I'm there to work. I'll play at the bar afterwards.

I'll play at the bar afterwards.

Yeah...you have some catching up to do from last year when you were being all studious and stuff. :D:cheers:

I know, this year I'm going to let my hair down and let it all hang out :roflol::cheers:

Like you did at Summer Blast??? :roflol::roflol:

post-11266-1235262671.jpg

Edited by glockaholic

Yeah...you have some catching up to do from last year when you were being all studious and stuff. :D:cheers:

I know, this year I'm going to let my hair down and let it all hang out :roflol::cheers:

:surprise: That's impersonator! I drink pinky up!

:surprise: That's impersonator! I drink pinky up!

It's your story tell it any way you like lol

and if you look close enough your pinky is up :P

Edited by glockaholic

At every other match we shoot they usualy are pleading to get QUALITY RO's. They usualy do this by leting them shoot the match for no fee. It don't sound like you (read this as lots of people out there) would go and work one of these matchs if you didn't get to shoot it for free??