Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo-1000 data...

D. Manley

Thought I'd jump in. I just tried this stuff for the first time last weekend. Love it. Currently using N320, but this is just as clean and much cheaper.

XDm 9mm

OAL 1.130

125 Zero JSP

4.5" barrel

4.2grs

average 10 shots 1034fps.

I don't see anything with the brass or primer to concern me.

Edited by skip62

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd jump in. I just tried this stuff for the first time last weekend. Love it. Currently using N320, but this is just as clean and much cheaper.

XDm 9mm

OAL 1.130

125 Zero JSP

4.5" barrel

4.2grs

average 10 shots 1034fps.

I don't see anything with the brass or primer to concern me.

And from my experiences, it probably felt very soft shooting too, yes? I'm aware of course that you can't go by "feel" but the lack of pressure signs is puzzling to me and a lot of other people. According to Accurate, your load is .7 grain (20%) above max and yet, your measured velocity equates to their max load of 3.5 grains.

Bullet weight: 124/125grains

Start load: 3.1 grains (900 -950 Fps)

Maximum load: 3.5 grains (975 -1025 Fps)

It really is a very nice powder for lots of applications and no doubt, I'll continue using it. Sure would be nice if Accurate would provide some actual pressure information. Just my opinion and at the risk of sounding totally incompetent, I think their 9MM data on Solo is skewed toward the low side by quite a bit. The only other caliber I've actually used it in so far is .45 and there, it's a different story. Even the starting loads would make major.

It really is a very nice powder for lots of applications and no doubt, I'll continue using it. Sure would be nice if Accurate would provide some actual pressure information. Just my opinion and at the risk of sounding totally incompetent, I think their 9MM data on Solo is skewed toward the low side by quite a bit. The only other caliber I've actually used it in so far is .45 and there, it's a different story. Even the starting loads would make major.

Ever use titegroup with your .45? How does your .45 data compare to say the same with titegroup? What about 9mm with titegroup?

I found the Titegroup and Solo produce nearly the same results with the same powder amount in 9mm.

Ever use titegroup with your .45? How does your .45 data compare to say the same with titegroup? What about 9mm with titegroup?

Yes, I have but only enough to find I don't care for TG there. My favorite use for TG is in .40 caliber Minor loads where it seems to me, a whole different story. It shoots well enough in 9MM but there's other powders there I prefer.

I found the Titegroup and Solo produce nearly the same results with the same powder amount in 9mm.

To me, Solo seems cooler, cleaner and softer than TG...in any caliber I've tried it in. That said, I've not shot it in .40 yet but plan to soon.

Yes, I have but only enough to find I don't care for TG there. My favorite use for TG is in .40 caliber Minor loads where it seems to me, a whole different story. It shoots well enough in 9MM but there's other powders there I prefer.

To me, Solo seems cooler, cleaner and softer than TG...in any caliber I've tried it in. That said, I've not shot it in .40 yet but plan to soon.

The weird thing would be if TG is nearly the same as solo in 9mm but vastly different then Solo in .45. I know case volume is very differnt but solo will barely cycle the slide at full power in 9mm with a 115gr using the data they want us to believe now.

The weird thing would be if TG is nearly the same as solo in 9mm but vastly different then Solo in .45. I know case volume is very differnt but solo will barely cycle the slide at full power in 9mm with a 115gr using the data they want us to believe now.

That's the salient point. In .45 (don't know about other calibers yet), results mirror published data pretty well both in the way the loads feel and over the chrono. In 9MM, a lot of guns do not cycle even with, their mid-range data. I normally run a 15 LB ISMI spring in my G-35 and although it cycles and ejects the 3.4/147 grain combo fine, it don't exactly send them flying...and this gun feeds & cycles with very soft loads. I'm sorry but I'm just skeptical of the pressure information they provided (as an "estimate", of course).

And from my experiences, it probably felt very soft shooting too, yes? I'm aware of course that you can't go by "feel" but the lack of pressure signs is puzzling to me and a lot of other people. According to Accurate, your load is .7 grain (20%) above max and yet, your measured velocity equates to their max load of 3.5 grains.

Bullet weight: 124/125grains

Start load: 3.1 grains (900 -950 Fps)

Maximum load: 3.5 grains (975 -1025 Fps)

It may feel a little softer than N320, and my N320 loads chrono are the same FPS. The front sight does return nicely though. I haven't compared how far it's throwing the brass, maybe that'll tell me something?

I am planning on shooting it a lot more. Next test will be 38 Super.

I'm very surprised at the Johan's factory data. I originally assumed he was quoting LRN data but he confirmed those 9mm numbers are intended for FMJ bullets. That was after I loaded and fired 100 rounds from 3.6 - 4.0gr under Berry's 124gr Pl. RN's @ 1.135. They all shot fine with zero indications of high pressure. 3.6gr felt freakishly light.

I decided to through caution to the wind and load another 200 rounds w/ 3.8gr. Unfortunately, I don't have a chrono.... If this powder will make minor for me w/ the old max of 4.1gr then it will be my new favorite 9mm powder. I find it to be cleaner and meter better than VV-N320. The only thing I don't really like about it is the 12oz container! What is up with that? When I first picked it up in the store I thought the guy behind the counter handed me a bottle that had already been opened.

I'm going to buy my bottle of S1000 a nice bouquet of flowers and some brass for Valentines day. :)

I'm very surprised at the Johan's factory data. I originally assumed he was quoting LRN data but he confirmed those 9mm numbers are intended for FMJ bullets. That was after I loaded and fired 100 rounds from 3.6 - 4.0gr under Berry's 124gr Pl. RN's @ 1.135. They all shot fine with zero indications of high pressure. 3.6gr felt freakishly light.

I decided to through caution to the wind and load another 200 rounds w/ 3.8gr. Unfortunately, I don't have a chrono.... If this powder will make minor for me w/ the old max of 4.1gr then it will be my new favorite 9mm powder. I find it to be cleaner and meter better than VV-N320. The only thing I don't really like about it is the 12oz container! What is up with that? When I first picked it up in the store I thought the guy behind the counter handed me a bottle that had already been opened.

I'm going to buy my bottle of S1000 a nice bouquet of flowers and some brass for Valentines day. :)

In my Glock 34 with a Barsto barrel 3.8 of Solo, 124 grain plated bullets, will not make minor it takes 3.9 and it is 125 power factor on the nose so it would really take about 4.0 of Solo to have any safe side. I think Accurate Arms is living in a dream world about velocity and there powder.

"Estimate" is the problem. Don't know what computer program they are using to reach their estimate. But, if it is QuickLoad, then that program is notorious for being "pessimistic" about predicted pressure for straight-walled pistol cartridges.

In other words, Quickload predicts higher pressure than we would see in real life/crusher/piezio pressure testing.

If that is where Accurate got their "estimates" - then it is no wonder their data is so far off for 9mm. Some one needs to tell them to do real pressure tests. They have potential to really expand their market for this powder.

That's the salient point. In .45 (don't know about other calibers yet), results mirror published data pretty well both in the way the loads feel and over the chrono. In 9MM, a lot of guns do not cycle even with, their mid-range data. I normally run a 15 LB ISMI spring in my G-35 and although it cycles and ejects the 3.4/147 grain combo fine, it don't exactly send them flying...and this gun feeds & cycles with very soft loads. I'm sorry but I'm just skeptical of the pressure information they provided (as an "estimate", of course).

is it really that hard for the powder companies to do actual pressure testing? My buddy tried lil'gun based on Hodgden's data, which showed he could make major without a problem. I think he got to about 150-155pf before the next bigger charge yielded a lower pf. I'm not a scientific guy, after being a mechanic for many years, and seeing what kind of crap engineers come up with. Give me some real world data, please.

+1 Carlos

In my Glock 34 with a Barsto barrel 3.8 of Solo, 124 grain plated bullets, will not make minor it takes 3.9 and it is 125 power factor on the nose so it would really take about 4.0 of Solo to have any safe side. I think Accurate Arms is living in a dream world about velocity and there powder.

I made up 100 rounds @ 4.0gr, 1.135" before I realized the old Scot data was way "hotter" than Johan's recommendations. the 4.0 load felt similar 4.0-4.1gr of N320 according to my highly calibrated chronohand. Just to be safe, I backed off after reading this post until the snow melts and I can get a chrono.

I live in New Hampshire within driving distance of Ruger and SIG. Lyman is down in CT pretty close to my psuedo-inlaws. Any idea how much it might cost to have a real test done at a couple of different grain levels?

P.S. I just sent lyman an email to see if they would consider S1000 for their next manual and if not how much it might cost to run a small test.

Edited by blind bat

I made up 100 rounds @ 4.0gr, 1.135" before I realized the old Scot data was way "hotter" than Johan's recommendations. the 4.0 load felt similar 4.0-4.1gr of N320 according to my highly calibrated chronohand. Just to be safe, I backed off after reading this post until the snow melts and I can get a chrono.

I live in New Hampshire within driving distance of Ruger and SIG. Lyman is down in CT pretty close to my psuedo-inlaws. Any idea how much it might cost to have a real test done at a couple of different grain levels?

P.S. I just sent lyman an email to see if they would consider S1000 for their next manual and if not how much it might cost to run a small test.

People have posted way higher then 4.0gr with Solo 1000. I needed 4.2 to make PF and it was exactly the same as another persons results with his G34. Using the data supplied earlier 4.2gr should be way over what you need to make PF and it's just not. Accuarte is simply not testing this powder. No freaking way they actually tested it and got those results.

People have posted way higher then 4.0gr with Solo 1000. I needed 4.2 to make PF and it was exactly the same as another persons results with his G34. Using the data supplied earlier 4.2gr should be way over what you need to make PF and it's just not. Accuarte is simply not testing this powder. No freaking way they actually tested it and got those results.

Yeah.....Accurate's data is way off. I use 4.2 grains like above with no problems or pressure signs and have gone up to 4.6 before any primer flow started appearing. The data found on Enos is pretty spot on and found to be more than safe.

FWIW, I went to the range today and benched 147 grain loads at 3.0 and 3.2 grains in 10-round groups. Point of impact was a bit off with both loads and groups opened up noticably. Just as a benchmark, shot a 10-round group with the 3.4 load, spot-on and by far the tightest group. I could'nt tell any difference in the appearance of the primers (all Federal 100) from 3.0 to 3.4.

This data is from S&W 627-5 revolvers, a 6" (yes 6") and a 4" Pro:

38 special cases cut to .900", 1.160 OAL, Precision Bullets 147FP sized .358, Fed 100, Solo 1000, 3.6 gr:

4" 829 fps, 6" 864 fps

38 special cases std length, 1.410 OAL, same, 3.8 gr:

4" 788 fps, 6" 810 fps

Just getting started. Appears it will require 3.8 gr at 1.160 OAL to make 125 minor in the 4" 627 Pro. My cases are 38 super length but 38 SC can be easily loaded to the same 1.160 OAL.

All fired cases dropped back into the chambers, no signs of excessive pressure. This is in guns that will easily handle 357 pressures (and probably more, both have Ti cylinders).

Still more to do.

Edited by Tom E

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever hear back from Lyman?

A.T.

Unfortunately, I did:

We will pass on your e-mail to our lab for their consideration. Thanks you.

Sorry, but we do not do any private load test work.

Maybe if enough people send them email we'll see some real pressure ratings in the 50th.

Here's the contact page on their website:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/contact/

The email address on the email they sent me was custsvc@cshore.com.

In other news, 3.8gr of S1000 w/ 124gr Pl RN @ 1.135 won't reliably cycle my XD9 service. Any little bit of limp wristing will cause it to stove pipe. 975 -1025 Fps is a pipe dream. My CZ-85 is happy with it though.

• 4 years later...

Using a keg I bought from 2 years ago. Getting similar to above, running 4.0 gr, delta precision 147, 1.140, 890-900 fps, about 130+ pf. I guess the lots are slow but getting consistent. I recently read on a shotgun forum that production of solo 1000 moved to Spain a few years ago, that's probably when the powder started getting slower.

Also running 124 gr MG jhp, with 4.7 grs, 1.125, 1040-1050 fps, 129+ pf.

Edited by dee loo