Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide racker for my Ruger .22

billfer

I took a little time on my pro-e station this morning and came up with an idea for a slide rack for my ruger .22

post-7514-1233944928_thumb.jpg

I've got a program written to cut this tomorrow morning on one of the mills at work. I have 4 blanks cut

and I hope to get at least 3 good ones from that.....we'll see. Once they are cut I'll need to drill and tap

2 holes for a 4-40 thread in the slide on my Ruger and attach the racker with 2 socket head cap screws (and a little locktite). I will post pictures on Monday of what I have before I send them out for anodizing then some pictures after install.

I was able to get into the mill last saturday and machined 4 slide racks for the blanks I had. The job ran smoothly

and all turned out well. The next job was to drill and tap the slide to enable me to attach the slide rack. Turns out

the slide is a bit hard and my drill bit just skated around instead of drilling. I solved that problem with a carbide center

drill. Once I got into the metal a bit everything was fine. Must be case hardened for a ways then softer once you break through. Anyways once I got the drilling and tapping done I took one home and put it on as you can see in the pictures. The next step is to send them out for anodizing. I'm thinking I'll just have them done in black to match everything else. I should be able to get them out in the next few days. When I get them back I've got one more feature to machine in and it will be done. I'll take some more pictures then

post-7514-1234266328_thumb.jpg post-7514-1234266350_thumb.jpg

It kind of reminds me a little of one Power Custom sells. I thought about getting one seven or eight years ago but never did. The only major difference between your slide racker and their's is that they use set screws to clamp it to the bolt instead of drilling and tapping it. The trick with a .22 is to keep the weight down so as not to affect the cycle of the gun.

Bt the way, how do you like your VQ upper? Another goodie I have been wanting for way too long. lol

Joe W.

I put one of the slide rack parts on the scale and it weighs in at .298 oz. It will be somewhat lighter after I finish doing couple more cuts on it. Good point on the weight issue joecichlid.

Didn't see the one Brownell's has before I started this one but, making my own has been more fun :cheers:

Oh and I just got the VQ a couple days ago and haven't tryed it yet.

uscbigdawg I don't see selling it as a problem since it is a different design.

With some lightning cuts or holes well placed it would be a great product. Nice thing is that if it is aluminum you can have it anodized in different colors unlike the Power one that is Ti. I say go for it, looks pretty good to me and my guess is that it would cost less than the Power one by a long shot.

Joe W.

I am fortunate that the the company I work for allows me to use their equipment for doing some of my home projects on my own time. It would be wrong for me to sell anything I make and benefit financially from it. This is just a fun little project I felt like doing and thought I would share its progress with others. Anyways.....long story short....not for sale.

Check out some of the other parts I've made on my mini chopper build in the "show us your motorcycles thread". I got a second place award for it at a Donny Smith bike show in 2007.

I enjoy doing this kind of work.

Slide racker parts will likely be sent out early next week for anodizing. I will post pics after that.

Very cool, I can't wait to see the anodized versions. Having access to tools like that has to be a blast. I wish i had access to a nice end mill so I could install a slide racker myself. Heck a lathe would be fun so I could make it too. lol

Joe W.

I got my parts back and as it turns out I had them hardcoated instead of anodized. I had a bunch of stuff going out for hardcoat and threw mine into the pile. The finish is more of an olive drab color and that works out fine for this job.

I will say that the surface on these parts is HARD. In fact the tools I used to do the last couple cuts didn't like it to well.

So I post a couple pictures with it mounted on my trusty Ruger just to see what you guys think.

The picture quality is not too good but you get the idea.

post-7514-1235045034_thumb.jpg post-7514-1235045050_thumb.jpg

Billfer

I like it. One thing you might look at is using lightning holes instead of the slot on the handle of the racker. It will add a little weight but greatly increase the strength of the part. I can attest to the fact that under the stress of a timer I have bent slide rackers, STEEL slider rackers. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see more versions of your slide racker. :)

Joe W.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I originally read this thread 6 months ago after the VQ Bolt Assist I purchased cracked after 3 months of use. I was pretty hacked off since the other VQ products I have purchased have been excellent.

After a bit of research, I decided that my only real option for a MKIII bolt racker was to have one custom made. The first gunsmith (Briley Manufacturing here in Houston) refused my request becuase they felt the bolt material was too tough to drill/tap. I asked around various gunshops for a good 'smith and found a guy who would take on the request.

He made the the racker out of titanium and directly attached it to the back of the bolt with some hex-head screws. I have put a few hundred rounds through my pistol with the racker and have had no consistent malfunctions or change in operation. Overall, I am quite happy with how it turned out.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for the inspiration for this mod.

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed Volquartsen Custom home page shows a new product "Bolt Assist for Ruger MKII and MKIII". Looks pretty slick.

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/1080-bolt-assist-for-ruger-mkii-and-mkiii

i'm on my second one. they did a redesign since the first version cracked and broke at the joints after 100 rounds. second version is working well, although it needs to be retightened once per match. can't use locktite since i dissolve it during cleaning with brake cleaner.

real poor customer service on this product.