Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is This Gun Limited Legal?

Tokarev

Hi, All. I have a quick question about wether this is a Limited or Open gun. I had Tripp Research build me an STI .40 on a SOCOM frame. The gun is pretty much the same thing as an STI Edge with the addition of a light/accessory rail like Springfield sells on the Operator. I've had this discussion with a couple of local guys and I get different answers from each person.

Thanks.

Good grief. What's the damned difference between cuts for a light rail and racing-stripe-esque frame cuts?

Short answer: Nothing.

Just show up and shoot. If the range lawyers feel the need to go into convulsions over it, let them. (And ignore them.)

Open Div. only :(

It looks like the extra steel will add signifigant weight. If STI has not provided USPSA with a letter indicating production for sale of enough guns on that frame, its either a prototype, or an external weight. Shades of the Craig Caper.

I do not enjoy telling someone they can't shoot, but there are rules to this game.

The problem with the Craig Custom frame was that Caspian Arms DID NOT offer the frame from the factory with an extended dust cover. Craig Custom installed their own dust cover.

If the SOCOM frame has the light/accessory rail machined into the dust cover (i.e. non removable) I would dare say it's legal. If the light/accessory rail is attached by other means (screws for example) you may have to remove it.

There seems to be a VAST difference here between the Craig Custom example and the picture shown at the top of the first post if in fact that's what the gun looks like.

Number of models produced shouldn't make a difference. If it did than the gun TGO used for years (Springfield Hi-Cap in 40) wouldn't be legal. I've NEVER seen it in a Springfield catalog and I'm reasonably certain it was a model never offered to the public unless you ordered one from the custom shop.

Using Caspian Arms as an example, Caspian does not build complete pistols but there are a number of Caspian frames in use...especially in L10 division. STI never built a gun with a Caspian Arms manufactured and logo slide on it. If as Wide 45 states "a letter indicating production numbers" is necessary for legality, everyone shooting a "parts gun" would be using illegal equipment. <_<

Sorry Chuck, no disrespect intended, but read the rules. Check out the last line on pg. 91 of your red rule book.

Para Ordnance frames were not legal for limited until Para had made complete guns. Then it was decided that guns made from frame kits in the same configurations would also be allowed. You can't run a 6" barrel on a Para in limited, because Para never made them.

Caspian did in fact sell complete 1911's some years ago.

Look at the picture of the gun in the link. It is not the same.

I'd prefer not to get into the Craig thing, but if you saw the pictures of the gun, you know it was no "dust cover".

I called the factory this morning and they say there are at least two other shooters using the SOCOM frame as a basis for a Limited pistol. That's good news. I'll get in touch with USPSA and ask them just to be sure but Mr. Skinner says it's good to go.

Widebody45

Caspian never has made a gun..ever..

yet the 40 based on the hi-cap frame is legal for limited..the hi-cap frame was introduced in 1993, 1994 as a 38 super frame.

the Craig thing is because they welded on a long HEAVY dustcover onto the gun..never part of the frame..

The STI SOCOM is a long dustcover frame with the light rail milled in..its config is a little different than the Tactical..yet the tactical is legal for limited..

Let's let Amidon and USPSA give a ruling...if that configuration is legal.

No problem Rich.....

No, Caspian NEVER offered a completed firearm.

If we follow your interp, ANY parts gun would not be illegal.

The Craig frame was modified from the original design unlike the SOCOM frame which was designed that way from the get-go.

A Rochesterian named Larry Stewarwald was using alloy Para frames in Limited/Standard LONG before a complete gun was manufactured. In fact some of the original Copper Berillium frames were in his possession before the factory offered complete guns.

I still have one of his "back-up" Limited guns I bought from Creekside (Para alloy frame and Colt Slide in unfired condition).

Besides, new IPSC rules as I understand them is anything goes EXCEPT scopes, comps and ports ( as long as it fits in the box).