Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Factor Change

Paul Burtchell

In IPSC it changed from 175 to 160 (for Open) in 1999 at the Philippines World Shoot (General Assembly)

19.10 Motion:

That the Major power factor floor for Open Division be 160.

Moved: USA

Seconded: Slovenia

For: 26 Against: 5 Abstain: 3

Carried

19.11 Motion:

That the Major power factor floor for Limited (Standard) Division be 170.

Moved: Germany

Seconded: Denmark

For: 19 Against: 11 Abstain: 4

Carried

I think USPSA changed theirs to a flat 165 the following year, but I maybe wrong.

In IPSC it changed from 175 to 160 (for Open) in 1999 at the Philippines World Shoot (General Assembly)

19.10 Motion:

That the Major power factor floor for Open Division be 160.

Moved: USA

Seconded: Slovenia

For: 26 Against: 5 Abstain: 3

Carried

19.11 Motion:

That the Major power factor floor for Limited (Standard) Division be 170.

Moved: Germany

Seconded: Denmark

For: 19 Against: 11 Abstain: 4

Carried

I think USPSA changed theirs to a flat 165 the following year, but I maybe wrong.

+1+1 really good.

• 3 weeks later...
I like the separation of power factors from open to standard in the IPSC rules. I think it was a great idea!

could you elucidate on that point? My understanding was that they reduced power factor to reduce Kb's from people trying to achieve major with 9mm caliber bullets. Wouldn't having a separate power factor for limited just complicate things a bit more?

I see no reason to have two different PF Floors for Standard/Limited and Open. Both @ 165 is fine, it works. If we keep reducing it, we'll get to bb guns yet!

Jim

Jim - Or we'll start carrying a second pistol, a carbine and a shotgun and dress funny...oh wait! :surprise::roflol:

Rich

If I remember the IPSC logic it was that an open gun was so "easy" to shoot that the power factor was not all that relevant anymore. However, the standard gun was still a "manly" gun and needed a higher power factor to exhibit your ability to control it.

Those are obviously not IPSC's words, but it is a summary of my recollection of the reasoning.

Gary

I know it was in late late 90's if my failing memory serves.

I miss 175 PF. Its harder to shoot an "easy to shoot" gun at that PF. Quite a few smiths couldn't make a reliable 180 PF gun and I think that had a little to do with it too.

If I remember the IPSC logic it was that an open gun was so "easy" to shoot that the power factor was not all that relevant anymore. However, the standard gun was still a "manly" gun and needed a higher power factor to exhibit your ability to control it.

Those are obviously not IPSC's words, but it is a summary of my recollection of the reasoning.

Easy to shoot but some older open shooters have now wrist problems. <_<