Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BIG DAWG steel match- Iowa

The applications for the 2009 BigDawg Steel match are out and available.

bdentry.doc

Dates are July 23-26th (Main match is Thursday - Saturday) Man on Man shootoff on Sunday for main match participants.

You can shoot two guns, Stock and/or Open. $45 per gun. $10 for the shootoff on Sunday. 15 stages of plate racks in different configurations. Minimum round count of 360 just to get through the match if you dont miss....... :cheers:

There will be 50% cash payback for the top three shooters in each division and a prize table for all competitors as well.

If you think you are going I urge you to make reservations quickly.....A big statewide bike race will be in Mt. Pleasant Thursday night and there wont be an motel rooms to be had on Thursday if you need one. We have a block of rooms saved at the match hotel, which is attached to the application.

The application should be uploaded to the website soon as well. www.bigdawgsteel.com if you want more info about the match and see some video of the match.

Come shoot with the BigDawgs........

Thanks,

Doug Carden

Edited by DougCarden

The applications for the 2009 BigDawg Steel match are out and available.

bdentry.doc

Dates are July 23-26th (Main match is Thursday - Saturday) Man on Man shootoff on Sunday for main match participants.

You can shoot two guns, Stock and/or Open. $45 per gun. $10 for the shootoff on Sunday. 15 stages of plate racks in different configurations. Minimum round count of 360 just to get through the match if you dont miss....... :cheers:

There will be 50% cash payback for the top three shooters in each division and a prize table for all competitors as well.

If you think you are going I urge you to make reservations quickly.....A big statewide bike race will be in Mt. Pleasant Thursday night and there wont be an motel rooms to be had on Thursday if you need one. We have a block of rooms saved at the match hotel, which is attached to the application.

The application should be uploaded to the website soon as well. www.bigdawgsteel.com if you want more info about the match and see some video of the match.

Come shoot with the BigDawgs........

Thanks,

Doug Carden

Sweet, this is the main match that I look forward to all year.

360 rounds if you don't miss... Doug you are a funny guy.

Thanks for helping put this on Doug.

Craig

This is one of the best matches I have had the pleasure of attending. as well as some of the friendliest, people you will ever shoot with.

Just make sure you bring lots of ammo.............................. :cheers:

Edited by lwshack

How about this being the year you guys succumb to popular demand and get rid of those frickin' letters and numbers targets?

They create way too much of a luck factor, and they tip the match strongly in favor of the hi-cap shooters who simply blaze back and forth and back and forth....

It's a fun match, but I have yet to talk to anybody who truly thinks the letters and numbers are a real test of shooting skill.

I went last year and had a BLAST!!! I shot 414 rounds to get through and I wasn't pushing it hard. You could go through a PILE of ammo at this match!!!

The letters and numbers were interesting, first time I had ever seen anything like that, but they are there to shoot just like any other target if you stop the gun and shoot them. The regular plates with the holes in them gave me fits, I'll bet 20 of my extra rounds were on them LOL.

The letters and numbers were interesting, first time I had ever seen anything like that, but they are there to shoot just like any other target if you stop the gun and shoot them.

Unfortunately, that has never proven true on those particular stages, Howard. Believe me, I've tried year after year. (And I'm not too bad of a steel shooter!)

Actually taking the time to aim at the "steel" parts (instead of the "air" parts) of the letters and numbers turns out to be much, much slower than using raw firepower to literally strafe back and forth, blazing away like a maniacal M.F.er, until they're down.

Obviously, this mode is only viable if you're shooting a hi-cap gun, and it's not unusual to see the big dawgs of the Big Dawg burn up a huge pile of ammo on those stages. That is what wins this match. You cannot survive this match with anything other than a hi-cap gun. And that's been a real downer for a lot of people who have tried to shoot damn thing with a revolver or single-stack steel gun.

I should probably shut up before I start sounding ungrateful to the fine folks who designed and operate this match. But I know for a fact I speak for a lot of other shooters who find the whole hi-cap equipment race really discouraging.

LOL, I will try the hose mode this year on the letters and see what shakes out. I have a few mags and guns that hold what should be enough ammo....

I did try the hose mode on the plates with holes in the center thinking if I just grip it and rip it there is NO way I can center more than one or two plates and 'miss' through the middle. Wrong, I only hit two and on the second maniac clean up pass I got two more and finally had to aim to get the last plate. Tried it again on the next run, same result. Never in a million years would I have thought it would be such a pisser to just rip across a plate rack absolutely as fast as I can manipulate the gun and watch the front sight lift out of the middle of the plates.....

I thought stuff like that was hilarious and is a big part of the draw to return.

How about this being the year you guys succumb to popular demand and get rid of those frickin' letters and numbers targets?

They create way too much of a luck factor, and they tip the match strongly in favor of the hi-cap shooters who simply blaze back and forth and back and forth....

It's a fun match, but I have yet to talk to anybody who truly thinks the letters and numbers are a real test of shooting skill.

Please God, restrain me. I could have some fun with this post.

The Big Dawg was originally presented as a match in which a revolver or single-stack could compete heads-up, and I think the organizers believed that to be true, but it hasn't turned out that way.

Every year after the Big Dawg I ask myself why I once again shot the thing with an 8-shooter, once again trying to fight a battle that absolutely cannot be won. It's my own damn fault for refusing to switch to one of my hi-caps after the first year.

But I'll guarantee you if I shoot the match this year I won't make the same mistake again. I'll be hosing them down with a hi-cap along with the rest of you maniacs--which, I have to admit, does sound like fun! :)

Edited by Carmoney

My plan to shoot the letters is half speed, half aiming. The fastest way to shoot the letters is to aim at the largest area on the target and keep shooting across the plate rack fast. Sometimes you get lucky and a plate you missed will fall later when you hit another target down the rack. Then if plates are still up you go back. This has worked for me the last few years.

Just for mention I believe the hardest stage is the chickens for some reason I can never shoot those down and I know my power factor is high enough at 140. Its probablly because they are 1/2 inch thick.

Can't wait to be in Iowa in July.

I agree with Howard about the dounuts being the hardest stage. One year the sun was shining just right and we could see the bullets traveling through the holes... Pretty cool.

Oh ya, I watched Manny Brag shoot the dounuts last year, he was upset that his worst run with his limited gun was a 3.11 :surprise: .

LOL, Manny is the one that said "go for it, that should work good" when I suggested 'grip it and rip it, how many can you center?'. It didn't work for him either. I shot the match with him last year, was a blast. Dang, you guys are getting me wound up about coming down to shoot it again. I want to spend the whole weekend this time though, Limited and Open both and the shoot-offs. I had a great time just shooting one gun last year on Friday.

The Big Dawg was originally presented as a match in which a revolver or single-stack could compete heads-up, and I think the organizers believed that to be true, but it hasn't turned out that way.

Every year after the Big Dawg I ask myself why I once again shot the thing with an 8-shooter, once again trying to fight a battle that absolutely cannot be won. It's my own damn fault for refusing to switch to one of my hi-caps after the first year.

But I'll guarantee you if I shoot the match this year I won't make the same mistake again. I'll be hosing them down with a hi-cap along with the rest of you maniacs--which, I have to admit, does sound like fun! :)

You mean I'm going to be one of the few hardcore people shooting a wheelgun this year?!? If we can't count on Carmoney to run a revolver what is this world coming to?

...don't make me break a Glock out for this match :ph34r:

Doug and gang - I will definitely be there again this year. Last year was too much fun not to come back... you've got me hooked!

You mean I'm going to be one of the few hardcore people shooting a wheelgun this year?!? If we can't count on Carmoney to run a revolver what is this world coming to?

Hell, no, I'm done shooting revos at the Big Dawg. (Although I will admit that I've enjoyed kicking a whole bunch of bottomfeeder ass on the Sunday shoot-offs with the wheel.....)

I'll be blazing with my hi-cap STIs. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!!

Hell, no, I'm done shooting revos at the Big Dawg. (Although I will admit that I've enjoyed kicking a whole bunch of bottomfeeder ass on the Sunday shoot-offs with the wheel.....)

I'll be blazing with my hi-cap STIs. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!!

Come on Mike, I am going to bring my open wheel! :sight:

• 5 months later...
... I'm definitly not ready.

Yes, definitely not ready for spell check, either....young padwan...... :roflol:

Just make sure you case gauge all your ammo this year and your equipment works......!

Greg, you and your dad drive safely. The range is already set up and I just need to get down there and do some mowing....

Prize table is approaching 10K .....we might be able to squeeze some more shooters in on Thursday and Friday.....Lemme know ASAP!

Regards,

DougC

Come on Mike, I am going to bring my open wheel! :sight:

And you'll be just fine, Tom, right up until you get to those stupid letter and number plates. Then you will curse the fact that you have only 8 rounds in your open wheel. Hi caps rule this match for a reason.

... I'm definitly not ready.

Yes, definitely not ready for spell check, either....young padwan...... :roflol:

Just make sure you case gauge all your ammo this year and your equipment works......!

Greg, you and your dad drive safely. The range is already set up and I just need to get down there and do some mowing....

Prize table is approaching 10K .....we might be able to squeeze some more shooters in on Thursday and Friday.....Lemme know ASAP!

Regards,

DougC

Oh, sorry Mr. Carden. lol

Wait a second, my stuff worked fine last year...?

See ya on Thursday, or maybe Wednesday night.

Craig