Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WAY OT

Mikej

I got interested in Cowboy Shooting a while back and bought a revolver and rifle in 357/38. It was fun practicing with the guns, but I could not bring myself to wear the outfits required to shoot. The cowboy guns are gonna go, but I wondered if the 38 special lead ammo was OK for a 686? The ammo is .38 Special 158 GR RNFP and .38 Special Cowboy Rifle 125GR FP. I normally shoot jacketed bullets and just wondered if I might have a problem with barrel leading. Thanks

Mike

I got interested in Cowboy Shooting a while back and bought a revolver and rifle in 357/38. It was fun practicing with the guns, but I could not bring myself to wear the outfits required to shoot. The cowboy guns are gonna go, but I wondered if the 38 special lead ammo was OK for a 686? The ammo is .38 Special 158 GR RNFP and .38 Special Cowboy Rifle 125GR FP. I normally shoot jacketed bullets and just wondered if I might have a problem with barrel leading. Thanks

Mike

Should not be a problem Mike, I shoot more lead than any thing out of my 38's and 357 revolvers.

What have you got for sale?

You should have no problem depending on the quality of the lead. Best thing to do is to shoot it and see. Knowing Cowboy shooting, the loads will be very light and won't make minor caliber for IPSC or ICORE but will be fun for plinking.

Hey mikej,

Hats off to you on the reluctance to follow the SASS dress code. I have been intrigued by cowboy shooting but I will absolutely NOT spend a bunch of money to dress up the way the SASS ring leaders decide is authentic cowboy. They are actually dressing the way the movies and TV actors did. If we look at authentic photos of real cowboys, they were pretty ragged and scruffy. Anyway, they've ruined the sport with the gaming and wimp loads.

Bob

A16841

CAS is fun and you don't have to have anything more than a hat boots jeans and a plain flannel shirt. The 3 times I have shot it thats what I wore.

It is all shooting sports so I say let them have their fun.

As for your other question I shoot very few jacketed bullets in my revolvers. About 20000 rounds a year. Most of which i cast myself.

Hey mikej,

Hats off to you on the reluctance to follow the SASS dress code. I have been intrigued by cowboy shooting but I will absolutely NOT spend a bunch of money to dress up the way the SASS ring leaders decide is authentic cowboy. They are actually dressing the way the movies and TV actors did. If we look at authentic photos of real cowboys, they were pretty ragged and scruffy. Anyway, they've ruined the sport with the gaming and wimp loads.

Bob

A16841

+1

Sounds like a cool idea, but I'm suspicious of any activity that requires me to get new footwear. :rolleyes: Plus I can't think of a cool cowboy name, I think "Fat Masterson" is already taken.

Hey mikej,

Bob

A16841

+1

Sounds like a cool idea, but I'm suspicious of any activity that requires me to get new footwear. :rolleyes: Plus I can't think of a cool cowboy name, I think "Fat Masterson" is already taken.

I was Da Mouche, as I borrowed all the stuff I needed to shoot the match... But they did frown on my Tennis Lamas..(pronouned Tenny Lamas) :roflol: