Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok, who has one and what do you like and don't like about them.

Here is my situation. I have a Motorola Razor currently, I also have a Wireless PC card. My contract is up on the phone and almost up on the Aircard. I am looking at a Palm Treo 700W to replace both. I am considering teathering the phone to my laptop to get internet access anywhere there is not wi-fi,

Anyone teathering their Treo to their laptop?

it is without a doubt, the worst POS invented. screen the size of a thumbnail, forget browsing any web page (especially this forum), it weighs more than my steel gun. if you wanna read outlook emails, you'll be scrolling forever. the phone worx, but why bother. just get an iphone.

I had the treo 700, it was my first attempt at something more than a phone. It was not a POS, it was a good intro to mobile computing, I moved to the blackberry and am enjoying it, if Iphone was on Verizon, I would have one. but blackberry is nice but the internet aspect is slowwwww.

it is without a doubt, the worst POS invented. screen the size of a thumbnail, forget browsing any web page (especially this forum), it weighs more than my steel gun. if you wanna read outlook emails, you'll be scrolling forever. the phone worx, but why bother. just get an iphone.

You sir, are too kind to the treo. I have to use one in my job as it is the phone the company issues me because it runs some special applications that supposedly only it can run. Well it isnt a good phone, it doesnt do the net worth a crap, it doesnt run the application that it has to run without locking up and rebooting, and it frezzes up in the middle of using it all the time. Other than that it is a great unit. Calling it a POS is giving POS's a bad name. It isnt even a good target at the range.

I would run as far as fast as possible away. Get a Iphone, or the LG equivalent and be happy.

OH, and stay away from the Blackberry as it isnt worth crap either.

Weird!

I have the 700wx, and have no issues with it. I use the phone and internet without any problems, and also use pocket Excel to track my workouts. During workouts, I use the Treo to listen to mp3's via bluetooth stereo headphones. I also use a program that syncs with MS money so I can use the Treo to track checking transactions away from home. The screen isn't as large as I would like, but it would be hard to make it bigger and keep the full keyboard. I am also surprised at the battery life - it's way better than the unit it replaced.

The phone uses MS Pocket Windows Ver 5. There are some programs that I have found to have quirks if added to the phone. Among them are Sprite Terminator and Pocket Controller. Terminator is a small issue that only seems to effect some Treos, but Controller completely screwed up my Treo operating system and I had to have the unit replaced.

BTW: the person who said the screen was the size of a thumb nail must have HUGE thumbs. My screen measures 2" x 1 7/8".

Edited by Tom S.

Instead of the 700 model, I would really recommend the treo 800w. I use sprint which I think has the best EVDO service. It is a great unit and I have no complaints. Any windos mobile software will allow you to adjust text size so if you have poor eye's, you will be able to see very cleary. The built in navigation works VERY well. In fact I sold my garmin and use just my phone.

I recommend the treo 800w.

Just my thoughts.

I have to back up Matt. I upgraded to a Palm Treo and have uploaded some ballistic software to it so I can play with them at lunch. Internet surfing is not bad and checking Yahoo Mail is great! And...I got on here yesterday without any problems.

Look at the 800, Palm Pre or one of the Blackberrys (the Storm is pretty cool) before buying.

Rich

I've had a 800w for a bit over a month and my overall impression of it is while it COULD be a very nice unit, the amount of problems I've experienced with it keep me from recommending it to anyone. I previously had a Blackberry Curve 8330 and was pretty impressed with that phone - however, it did not wirelessly sync with MS Outlook's calendar function, which was something my work specifically wanted (and sprint told me it could do... :( ). I later found out that with an Enterprise Server or one of the other BB software packages that is indeed possible, albeit extremely expensive to purchase. So I went with the Treo because it could accomplish this.

My initial impression of it was positive. It was a reasonable size (much more handy than the older models) and the amount of things it could do was amazing. It was fairly intuitive to use, although some things took a bit of digging to get set up like I wanted. The big headache came when I tried to sync it with my work computer. Holy crap what a nightmare. The Blackberry took me all of 5 minutes to get set up for three different email accounts, including my corporate outlook email. The treo wasn't bad on the personal stuff but when it came to hooking it up to Outlook it just did. not. want. to. do. it. It took numerous calls to Sprint technical service (which didn't solve anything), and finally our IT firm came out and had to put an additional certificate on the device to make it sync.

The worst part was day to day performance. It froze and crashed all the time. When I ended up roaming and it tried to sync email it'd shit out. When I was typing email it'd shit out. Battery life was terrible - I've only made it through a complete day without charging it once or twice. There was one day where I had to reset it 5 or 6 times... it went back to sprint.

Sprint replaced it with a new unit and this one has been a bit more stable. However, this week it's been doing a lot of the same stuff the old one was doing. I've reset it once today already :(. I'm waiting for the Pre to get into my area and I'm going to go talk to them again, hopefully they'll take care of it and I'll get a phone that isn't a pile of shit.

Long post short - I can't really recommend it.

Edit - And while I said that, I will also say that (other than restarting it twice today...) I'm impressed at how much stuff it can do, and after getting used to navigating around it's easy to complete tasks. If it was stable I would be completely happy with it. But, it's not... Bring on the Pre!

Edited by needknees

I have a pretty large understanding of the treo's and know of 25 or 30 guys in my state and another 1500 across the US. We have had problems from day 1. It started with the 600's and the 650's continued with the 700's and is still the same with the 755i's. They freeze up, quit working, reset in the middle of conversations and use battery like it is candy. This is a crap product. It doesnt matter if it is running Palm OS or Windows it is not able to do the things thateveryone that sells them tells you it will. I have 2 times been in a verizon store and seen the salesman steer customers away from treo's just so they dont have to deal with the issues later.

You get them after your accepted and you show up for class the first day. The valet meets you at the door of your dorm (or suite) and then directs your driver where the car care service center is at. Once the concierge checks you in and your bags are delivered and unpacked, you meet with your interior design team and your room is catered to what is a perfect blend of relaxation and efficient study. Too the climate and lighting systems are programmed accordingly as well as with your circadien rhythms to achieve optimal REM sleep.

The phone then, is fully charged with your contact list and other presets pre-programmed and color coordinated to your room/work environment. It lies next to your mint and keys to the golf cart that you use to get around campus because...who walks.

Nice Butch.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

I got lucky then dude. My sips battery life, plus Sprint through me an extra battery just for being a nice guy. :D

Rich

I'm with you - although mine's through Verizon and I only have one battery (all I've needed).

My 800w is rock solid. I have the car power adapter when I use the navigation. I have dropped my phone too many times andit keeps working. Browser is great (but why surfthe web on a phone?). i use the bluetooth connection for my car, works great all the time.