Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clipless Pedals

BigDave

Well, after a crash last week on the local singletrack, due to my toe straps catching on some brush and pulling me over (and giving me an o' so nice case of Poison Ivy <_< ), I ponied up for some clipless pedals and shoes. For those who don't know and care (for those who don't, stop reading), this combo works kinda like Ski bindings. Its a more efficient power delivery and makes hill climbing more powerfull. Wow!!! What a difference. More speed on the flats and the hills with more authority.

It took you THIS to make you go clipless? :P;):lol: I put those puppies on almost 15 years ago and have never looked back. There is not one thing I miss about cinching toe straps down enough so you could get power (never as good as clipless though) then not being able to get out of the damned things. The best money I ever spent on a bike, hands down....

Certain clipless pedals do have their downsides. If you ever broken a cleat in the middle of a sprint, it really sucks, this happen to me a couple times until I switch pedals. One particular mtn bike pedal doesn't release inward which is very bad when you crash and you see your bike trying to twist your knee in a direction it's not suppose to go. Mud and clipless pedals don't get along too well except for Time pedals.

I always ran double straps when I rode with clip pedals. Once you crank the straps down, your feet aren't going anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...