Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

g17 .22 conversion kit?

Jay6

gg,

The hits aren't supposed to be centered, I don't think. (rimfire vs. centerfire ;) )

I don't think you are seeing a failure to "eject"... It looks like a failure to extract.

Check your extractor for cleanliness, freedom of movement and tension.

I had to send my AA kit back when I first got it (yrs ago). It had what I think turned out to be a soft extractor. (I'd be sure to never drop that slide with a round i the chamber and expect the extractor to jump over the rim of the brass.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was wondering if someone could help me out. I got a used AA G17 22 Kit a couple of months ago and keep encountering a problem where the 22 brass doesn't eject. Out of 10 rounds, I shoot maybe 2 to 5 rounds when suddenly it jams. I usually have to use a screwdriver or blade to take the brass out (it gets jammed pretty well). This happens very frequently so its come to the point where I don't even use it anymore...would absolutely love to though. Would like to replace my dryfire practice with AA instead sometimes. I have cleaned it, used the breakfree, and am currently using CCI Mags as per AA's recommendation. As you can see from the dent, its hits aren't centered either...any suggestions?

Mine does the same thing. Most ammo just won't cycle it. The Remington 36 grain high velocity gold bullets that Kevin mentioned work pretty good in mine but not great. The Reminton 40 grain high velocity golden bullets work great in mine. Too bad I can't find them for less than $30 a brick. The extractor does seem weak so maybe I should send it back to AA and have it looked at.

Thanks for the quick info guys. "Rimfire"...boy do I feel like an idiot right now. :roflol:. I'll clean it some more and buy some of the Remingtons to see if I have anymore luck. Wiped down the extractor too...it looks fine to me. The slot it was in was a little dirty, guess some gunk went in there. I'll test it out again this weekend.

My AA kit also got to were it was leaving the brass stuck in the chamber several years ago. I called AA it turned out that even with the notch in the top of my chamber the firing pin was still making contact. I lightly filed in the notch area and my problems with extracting went away.

My AA kit also got to were it was leaving the brass stuck in the chamber several years ago. I called AA it turned out that even with the notch in the top of my chamber the firing pin was still making contact. I lightly filed in the notch area and my problems with extracting went away.

Do you mean that, after firing, the indented rim was caught in that notch?

Do you mean that, after firing, the indented rim was caught in that notch?

I believe it was a bur in the chamber at the corner of the notch and chamber edge that caused my problems. And that bur was enough to put a lot of drag on the empty cases.

In my AA's case the cause of that bur was from the firing pin making contact with the barrel when dry fired. The notch was not big enough. I think mine was manufactured around 2003.

I had the extraction problems on brand new unit and at first thought it just needed some break in time. After about 400-500 rounds the issue still existed so I pulled the barrel out and polished the feed ramp and around the inside of chamber very lightly with a dremel polishing pad and some polishing compound and problem was solved - the area around chamber mouth was left with no polishing from the machining process and was about the same smoothness as the outside of the barrel (the majority of the chamber & bore appeared very smooth) - after a little work it was shooting great and is very accurate to say the least. Can't say enough about these little conversion kits - I believe mine shoots as good as my old Ruger MKII that has tens of thousands of rounds through it

Good Luck

In my AA's case the cause of that bur was from the firing pin making contact with the barrel when dry fired...

I'll have to go back and check the manual that came w/ my kit of a couple years back, but I think dry firing was discouraged... :unsure:

From the FAQ on AA's website:

Can I Dry Fire my conversion kit?

Dry Firing is not recommended and should only be done when it's required to remove the conversion slide from the frame.

The only rimfires I ever df are Rugers. It's not a good practice, since the fp hits the rear of the barrel at the edge of the chamber. I can damage both the barrel and the fp because of the steel to steel contact. With my AA kit I hold the slide back and pull the trigger to drop the fp for storage (I have a thing about leaving spring tension in an unloaded gun). Mine has been pretty reliable with CCI, Fed., and Remington ammo.

I retract my statement about using Fed. Value Pack. My AA conv. just won't run with Fed VP. Failures to extract. However, I'm determine to see if I can get it running. I'll let you know if I'm successful in the coming days/weeks.

I retract my statement about using Fed. Value Pack. My AA conv. just won't run with Fed VP. Failures to extract. However, I'm determine to see if I can get it running. I'll let you know if I'm successful in the coming days/weeks.

Try the Remington GB's, or MiniMags.

Kevin,

Yeah, I'm just so damn cheap! At today's prices, I can just shoot my 9mm reloads for about the same cost. I'm a hoarder, loading on old (cheap) components.

If I figure out AA running on Fed's, I'll let you all know the secret....

• 3 weeks later...

Range report. Remy Golden Bullet working 100% in AA conv.

I'm now working on getting Fed. VP to run.

Will post in next week or so on results.

Hi

Have you seen this post ? http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82788 #15. I'm also trying to figure out the Fed. ammo problem since that's what we have most of around here. Walmart is to far to travel for small buys of Rem. G.B.

I added a new modification since that post. What I did was get another 6x32 hex head screw that's being used as a disconnector in the AA slide. I turned down the head to .165" useing my almost a lathe, so that now there is very little resistance as the connector rides past it as the slide goes back. I can't go any smaller because then the trigger won't reset, but ymmv.

post-15480-1241128149_thumb.jpg

With this last mod and Slide Glide I can now run 4 full 13 round mags 100% but by the fifth mag the stove pipes start to happen. I don't understand why. I have a Colt Ace with a heavy all steel slide that I use in steel matches. I use Feds. and all the cheapest ammo I can buy. They all work 100% reliably. The thing the ace has is a floating chamber. It's accurate enough that with a standing 2 handed hold I can hit 8"steel plates out at 50 yards about 8 times out of every 10 round mag. The AA conversion is able to do the same thing, and the P.O.I. of Rem G.B. and Fed value pack is about the same.

All that I can think of is a quickly dirtied / tight chamber with a sloppy extractor.

I'm thinking of tightening the extractor'S vertical play by silver soldering a shim either on the top or bottom of it.

John

Please read the Advantage Arms instructions - they specifically advise the use of remington Golden Bullets. As much as you would like to use the federal bulk pack ammo it will not reliably cycle the AA kit. Stop moaning and use either Remington Golden Bullets or CCI MiniMags and you will not have any problems.

Range report. Remy Golden Bullet working 100% in AA conv.

I'm now working on getting Fed. VP to run.

Will post in next week or so on results.

Hi

Have you seen this post ? http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82788 #15. I'm also trying to figure out the Fed. ammo problem since that's what we have most of around here. Walmart is to far to travel for small buys of Rem. G.B.

I added a new modification since that post. What I did was get another 6x32 hex head screw that's being used as a disconnector in the AA slide. I turned down the head to .165" useing my almost a lathe, so that now there is very little resistance as the connector rides past it as the slide goes back. I can't go any smaller because then the trigger won't reset, but ymmv.

post-15480-1241128149_thumb.jpg

With this last mod and Slide Glide I can now run 4 full 13 round mags 100% but by the fifth mag the stove pipes start to happen. I don't understand why. I have a Colt Ace with a heavy all steel slide that I use in steel matches. I use Feds. and all the cheapest ammo I can buy. They all work 100% reliably. The thing the ace has is a floating chamber. It's accurate enough that with a standing 2 handed hold I can hit 8"steel plates out at 50 yards about 8 times out of every 10 round mag. The AA conversion is able to do the same thing, and the P.O.I. of Rem G.B. and Fed value pack is about the same.

All that I can think of is a quickly dirtied / tight chamber with a sloppy extractor.

I'm thinking of tightening the extractor'S vertical play by silver soldering a shim either on the top or bottom of it.

John

John,

Nice report. I also read the other thread. Great info. I'll report back after taking a look into some of your mods with my conversion.

Thanks! Welcome to Brian's Forum!!