Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Three Days of Revo!" -- (new revolver-only match)

OK, everybody--here are the details on a brand new revolver-only match coming up 4th of July weekend in Iowa--we're calling it "Three Days of Revo!"

Friday, July 3: Rimfire Revolver match, held at Tappe’s range near Colo, IA. This will be a 9-stage Steel Challenge-style match, each stage will have 5 audible steel plates. 5 strings per stage, the best 4 will count for score. In order to keep things moving, speedloaders (DS-10 or equivalent) are required. If my math is correct, the round count is 225 rounds if you don't miss.

Saturday, July 4: Open Revolver match, held at Osceola Organized Practical Shooters range near Osceola, IA. This will be an 8-stage USPSA-style match shot with any centerfire revolver (including 8-rounders). Those of you who’ve shot our Back-to-Back and Iowa Sectional matches over the past few years can attest that we always set up excellent stages at OOPS–this event will be no exception! Poppers will be calibrated for 120 p.f., round count will be approximately 200.

Sunday, July 5: Limited Revolver match, also held at OOPS. This will be essentially the same USPSA-style match as Saturday, only this time you must use a 6-round revolver of .40 caliber or greater.

There will be two divisions: Iron Sights and Optics. Each shooter will declare a division ahead of time, and stick with it throughout the weekend. Plaques will be awarded to the top three finishers in each division at the completion of each match. Top junior in each division will also receive a plaque.

There will also be a “King of Revo” trophy awarded to the aggregate winner in each division–Iron Sights and Optics. In order to qualify for one of the King of Revo trophies, the shooter must complete all three matches in the declared division. The aggregate top junior in each division will also be recognized.

This competition will be heads-up, USPSA classifications will not be considered for this event.

Cost will be $20 for each match, or $60 for all three. Juniors shoot for half price. For this first year, we will be limiting this match to 45 shooters each day. First come first served, but preference will be extended to shooters who are signing up for all three days. I'm sure this match will sell out quickly, so don't fool around and miss your opportunity to participate in this event.

We will have an entry form posted here and on our website shortly. For more information, contact one of the following:

Jay Tappe: shooterdoc@netins.net

Mike Carmoney: carmoney4@aol.com

Sam Anderson: samrander@gmail.com

Don't let that cheap entry fee fool you--we really expect this to become a feature match, particularly for the dedicated wheelgunners out there. Where else could you possibly shoot 625+ rounds through your 617, your 627, and your 625, in a back-to-back-to back match like this? It's gonna be an absolute blast, and what better way could there possibly be to celebrate America's independence than to shoot the most American of handguns--the revolver! :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK if I shoot a limited gun in the open match? I don't have an open gun! <_< Even if I had an open gun to shoot, it wouldn't change where I would finish. LAST IS LAST

Duane

Hey Duane,

Sure, you can shoot any centerfire you want for the Open match on Saturday, whether it holds 6, 7, or 8 rounds. An Open revolver can have porting, comp, etc. (although these don't do much on a revolver at minor p.f. anyway!) Some people will probably choose to shoot a 625 over a 627 anyway, due to the slightly faster reloading capability.

Can't wait for this match. I'm going to shoot limited for all three guns and try and beat Sam C. for the junior title.

Any matches that are within walking distance to my house, I'll be there... :cheers:

Craig

Sam C.: "Tell Craig dream on."

I am confused. Can I shoot my open revolver with c-more on Saturday and then my usual 625 in the limited match on Sunday. How do I declare a division then. Won't everybody be open division on saturday and limited on Sunday.

Signed slow in Wisconsin :wacko:

I am confused. Can I shoot my open revolver with c-more on Saturday and then my usual 625 in the limited match on Sunday. How do I declare a division then. Won't everybody be open division on saturday and limited on Sunday.

Signed slow in Wisconsin :wacko:

Tom,

The idea is to have 2 matches (optics and iron sights) run in parallel over 3 days. There will be a big trophy for optics "King of Revo" and a smaller one for pussies who want to shoot iron sights (iron sights "King of Revo") given Sunday afternoon. "King of Revo" trophies will be given to the best aggregate scores for all 3 days (ya gotta shoot optics or iron sights, choose one, all three days to be eligible for the trophies).

Plaques will be given for the winners of the x17 matches, the winners of the Open matches (Saturday) and for the winners of the Limited matches (Sunday).

Specific (hopefully) answer to your question: yes, you can shoot your open gun on Saturday and your usual 625 (no optics, right?) on Sunday but you will be eligible only for plaques, not for a King of Revo trophy. You must put an optic on the 625 (and shoot an x17 with an optical sight on Friday) to be eligible for open King of Revo trophy.

Hope that helps.

Jay Tappe

Can't wait for this match. I'm going to shoot limited for all three guns and try and beat Sam C. for the junior title.

Any matches that are within walking distance to my house, I'll be there... :cheers:

Craig

loser wears a dress and bra to next OOPS match. And, we get to take pictures and post them!

Craig

loser wears a dress and bra to next OOPS match. And, we get to take pictures and post them!

Sam, what are your dress and bra sizes? :roflol:

Are we going to be able to find somewhere to stay or is this the garden spot of Iowa and the whole state converges there to celebrate the 4th?

There are some hotels around Nevada/Colo and Ames, They are about 10 minutes away from Tappes Range, here are some. There is no specific match hotel.

Ames:

Super 8: 515-232-6510

Micotel inn & suites: 515-233-4444

Heartland inn: 515-233-6060

Americinn: 515-233-1005

Country inn & suites: 515-233-3935

Ames is a college town with numerous good bars and restaurants (a good bbq - Hickory Park - is close to the Ames hotels.

Nevada/Colo:

Super 8: 515-382-5588

Craig Tappe

To follow up a bit on the motel info Craig posted, it might make more sense to plan to stay in or around Osceola, since two days of the match will be shot there. This town is right along I-35, so there are always plenty of rooms available.

There will be some neat 4th of July activities in Osceola that weekend, which might make staying down there a lot of fun for the whole family. More info will be forthcoming.

If push comes to shove, the Des Moines area hotels/motels are roughly halfway between Colo and Osceola.

To follow up a bit on the motel info Craig posted, it might make more sense to plan to stay in or around Osceola, since two days of the match will be shot there. This town is right along I-35, so there are always plenty of rooms available.

There will be some neat 4th of July activities in Osceola that weekend, which might make staying down there a lot of fun for the whole family. More info will be forthcoming.

If push comes to shove, the Des Moines area hotels/motels are roughly halfway between Colo and Osceola.

Ya.

So the rimfire match is in Colo and the centerfire matches are 90 miles away in Osceola? Staying in/near Ames seems to make no sense unless you like paying twice the rate for a room (I checked Super8) you'll get elsewhere.

So the rimfire match is in Colo and the centerfire matches are 90 miles away in Osceola? Staying in/near Ames seems to make no sense unless you like paying twice the rate for a room (I checked Super8) you'll get elsewhere.

Right. I think Craig's information regarding staying in Ames would be useful for those who arrive in Iowa the day before and want to spend Thursday night close to the Colo range. After that, though, it will make more sense (and cents?) to find a place down around Osceola.

Anyway, there are plenty of options between Colo and Osce.

Will we be drawing from a holster for the rimfire match or will it be the usual rimfire start for steel challenge?

We'll use the regular "low ready" start position, no holster will be needed for the rimfire match.

Will we be drawing from a holster for the rimfire match or will it be the usual rimfire start for steel challenge?

We'll use the regular "low ready" start position, no holster will be needed for the rimfire match.

Mike,

I thought we had a rule that Minnesotans are only allowed to shoot weakhanded. And match fees are doubled. What about that tax for allowing them into Iowa?

Edited by shooterdoc

There will be a big trophy for optics "King of Revo" and a smaller one for pussies who want to shoot iron sights (iron sights "King of Revo") given Sunday afternoon.

Private response to shooterdoc: Interesting take on things, considering that pretty much everybody knows that an optical sight on a revolver is one of the strongest indicators of homosexual proclivity. In fact, the optics award really should be called the "Queen of Revo" trophy.