Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen I, II, and III

steveyacht

No, it basically comes down to light rail and finger groves with the I and II gen, I think there is a 2.5 gen that has old locking block but finger grooves. then the 3rd gen. has new style locking block, acc. rail and finger grooves. Then the newest 4th gen has different texture on grip and cocking serrrations, plus the ambi mag release release with 4th gen. mags.

One signficant difference is that Gen 1 9mm's only having one pin securing the locking block and the slide release. The later models also have longer frame guides and the locking blocks have more steel.

It appears as if I have a Gen I in 9mm the reason I bought it was a great price as well as there is virtually no detectable wear on anything. Previous owner said it was a nightstand queen and it appears as if he is correct. I assume that it is still a quality piece with no major weakness. Just one quick question, can an accessory rail be added?

Thanks.

Steve

Hello: The gen 1's have the fine texture grip. The gen 2's have the more standard looking grip with no finger grooves (my favourite). Gen 3's have finger grooves, 3 pins and longer locking block. I know there were some Gen 2.5's etc but I don't know the difference in them. One thing is for sure is that they all go bang :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Glock rails CAN be added to old noon-rail style frames. Robar can cut one into the dustcover.

www.robarguns.com/glockhtm

Also, Command arms makes one:

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=139&cID=52

And Brownells carries this:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...20for%20GLOCK~

Learned something new today!

Hello: The gen 1's have the fine texture grip. The gen 2's have the more standard looking grip with no finger grooves (my favourite). Gen 3's have finger grooves, 3 pins and longer locking block. I know there were some Gen 2.5's etc but I don't know the difference in them. One thing is for sure is that they all go bang :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Almost there on Gen 3s --- in 9mm early models have the finger grooves, rail, and 2 pins, later models adopted the .40 frames three pin holes and a different locking block....

Please, somebody that knows for sure, give us a history of the pin changes(and locking block), from the first 2nd gen. guns made, to the current 3rd. gen. pistols. I want to know every change about the 9mm and .40.

Please, somebody that knows for sure, give us a history of the pin changes(and locking block), from the first 2nd gen. guns made, to the current 3rd. gen. pistols. I want to know every change about the 9mm and .40.

I have an 2nd gen g22 that has the older style locking block. I also have a g17 that is the 2.5 gen with the textured finger grove acc. rail, but old style locking block. I can't remember and can't find where I read when the G35 came out it had the new style locking block, then the g34 and the 3rd gen guns started to have the extra locking pin (3-pin guns).

http://www.glockfaq.com/gunsmithing.htm#frame

I also have a g17 that is the 2.5 gen with the textured finger grove acc. rail, but old style locking block.

It's my understanding that you've described a Gen III G-17, if it has both finger grooves and accessory rail. There were apparently some Gen 2.5 guns released that had either the finger grooves or the accessory rail, but not both --- I can't remember which was present, and which was absent.....

I bought two pin third generation 34s in 2000 IIRC, by 2006 I bought my first 3 pin G-34, and they'd been out for a couple of years at that point....

I also have a g17 that is the 2.5 gen with the textured finger grove acc. rail, but old style locking block.

It's my understanding that you've described a Gen III G-17, if it has both finger grooves and accessory rail. There were apparently some Gen 2.5 guns released that had either the finger grooves or the accessory rail, but not both --- I can't remember which was present, and which was absent.....

I bought two pin third generation 34s in 2000 IIRC, by 2006 I bought my first 3 pin G-34, and they'd been out for a couple of years at that point....

I have a g17 with finger grooves and rail and old stlye locking block with 1 pin in the trigger. I bought it around 1996, the g35 i bought had the new locking block 3-pin frame, that was end of 2001.

I work part time at an indoor range/gun shop. We are Glock dealers and armorers. Last year a customer ordered a G34 (if I remember correctly). It came with a 3rd generation frame (finger grooves, rail) and ONE pin (well, two including the trigger housing pin)! We've never seen anything like that and do not know how or why that slipped through.

It appears as if I have a Gen I in 9mm the reason I bought it was a great price as well as there is virtually no detectable wear on anything. Previous owner said it was a nightstand queen and it appears as if he is correct. I assume that it is still a quality piece with no major weakness. Just one quick question, can an accessory rail be added?

Thanks.

Steve

If you absolutely positively have to have a rail then contact Glock and ask them for a frame replacement cost upgrade.

I have learned a great deal by finding this site and am thankful for everyone's help. I bet that somewhere there is a serial number breakdown of the Different Generations. The accessory rail is not all that improtant, I was thinking it may nice to have light/laser combo on a home defense gun.......... but not having one gives me an excuse to buy another gun! Of course there is always Crimson Trace.

Thanks again,

Steve

I have a g17 with finger grooves and rail and old stlye locking block with 1 pin in the trigger. I bought it around 1996, the g35 i bought had the new locking block 3-pin frame, that was end of 2001.

The .40s made the switch to the three pin frame earlier than the 9s; that is if there were ever two pin .40s.....

Glock actually cataloged two different frames for the .40 and the 9 for a few years....

I work part time at an indoor range/gun shop. We are Glock dealers and armorers. Last year a customer ordered a G34 (if I remember correctly). It came with a 3rd generation frame (finger grooves, rail) and ONE pin (well, two including the trigger housing pin)! We've never seen anything like that and do not know how or why that slipped through.

The 34s were produced like that for a number of years, from introduction well into 200x. Then at some point Glock streamlined the process, to utilize the same frame for both....

I'm guessing you got a gun that had been sitting on a distributor's shelf for a while....