Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI MatchMaster

SimonM

I got my SteelMaster, which is very similar in size etc. to this new MatchMaster, about a month ago. I like the balance of the gun and it shoots very nice. The only differences with the SteelMaster and the MatchMaster seem to be the slide lightening, the longer comp and, of course, the caliber (.38 super).

What do you think about this new offering? It has a longer comp which can utilize the bigger amount of gasses generated by .38 super ammo, but how do you think it's going to behave; will it be truly competitive in open class?

There probably aren't many people on this forum, if any, who have had a chance to shoot one yet, but post your thoughts anyway.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not many have shot it but there have been many built almost exactly like it. For a while short guns were the rage but they seam to be falling out of favor. Personally I think it will set on the shelf and collect dust. I like the idea of a basic (at least by STI standards) lower priced open gun pretty much ready to go out of the box without the long wait. But I think they missed the boat with 38 super. Just compare it to the classifieds here open guns in 9mm sell quicker and for more money than 38 supers.

I got my SteelMaster, which is very similar in size etc. to this new MatchMaster, about a month ago. I like the balance of the gun and it shoots very nice. The only differences with the SteelMaster and the MatchMaster seem to be the slide lightening, the longer comp and, of course, the caliber (.38 super).

What do you think about this new offering? It has a longer comp which can utilize the bigger amount of gasses generated by .38 super ammo, but how do you think it's going to behave; will it be truly competitive in open class?

SimonM

This one would be gun for open and steel for you. You already told us way it is good for open. If they make it 9mm it would be great for both events. Just call to STI and ask Major 9 for you or ask if they sell barrel without ready cartridge chamber for you. Steelmaster have too short comp for open major 9 but enough ports for light recoil steel loads. Good luck!

But I think they missed the boat with 38 super. Just compare it to the classifieds here open guns in 9mm sell quicker and for more money than 38 supers.

I've been keeping my eye out for a bargain Open gun to use as a test mule and haven't noticed that trend at all. Hardly any Open guns of any caliber seem to be moving. I've paid attention to 9mm guns as well because I get barrels for free and a good deal on a 9 would be just as good for me. From what the numbers are showing in my poll as well as the newest Nationals data available, more people are still shooting a Super/SC than 9mm so it seems logical that STI would start there. I'd guess that if folks ask for it they'll offer them in 9mm as well.

Looks just like the Stinger model they use to make.

Yeah, but it's a heck of a lot longer! I just noticed that it's going to be really hard to put a slide racker on that puppy....not too bright. I hate to throw stones (well sometimes :D ) but anybody that pays attention would notice that a large percentage of the Open shooters are using slide rackers now.

Thanks for the comments.

Tsygä,

I read it from the STI page that one can build a pistol to his liking (Infinite). You could have them build a pretty much similar pistol to the MatchMaster, but in 9x19 major. Or atleast one would think so... It would be interesting to see how much a pistol like that would cost. I think that the prize of the MatchMaster will be the same as Trubor/SteelMaster.

The caliber is both good and bad. The .38 super is a bit easier to get to major and I wouldn't mix my major 9mm ammo with my minor ammo by mistake. But I'd have to buy .38 cases as opposed to getting just about free casings for the nine, so...

More thoughts are welcome. I don't think I'll get to try out any short major open guns as there aren't any shooters around using one, so you guys can help me by commenting your experiences. If someone gets to try out the exact model (MatchMaster), all the better.

Looks just like the Stinger model they use to make.

The Stinger was a 3.9 inch barrel and a short recoil system. The Stell master and MatchMaster have the longer recoil system, a real improvement IMHO, and the newer guns have a 4.15" barrel.

edited to add picture of stinger for comparison.

post-3253-1232399510_thumb.jpg

Edited by CenTX

I just noticed that it's going to be really hard to put a slide racker on that puppy....not too bright. I hate to throw stones (well sometimes :D ) but anybody that pays attention would notice that a large percentage of the Open shooters are using slide rackers now.

Slide racker will not be a problem. Dawson Precision put a sidewinder on my Trubor, which has the same type of slide lightening cut as shown in the MatchMaster picture.

I just noticed that it's going to be really hard to put a slide racker on that puppy....not too bright. I hate to throw stones (well sometimes :D ) but anybody that pays attention would notice that a large percentage of the Open shooters are using slide rackers now.

Slide racker will not be a problem. Dawson Precision put a sidewinder on my Trubor, which has the same type of slide lightening cut as shown in the MatchMaster picture.

Gunsmith told me that it can be done. He put a sidewinder on my friend Trubor and promised to put slide racker for similar type of slide lightening cut which I have in my gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll bet that gun shoots pretty nicely. The comp isn't bad at all and the slide weight is about right with 3/4" missing, the barrel weight is good, total top end weight should be just over 20 ounces guessing from 5" get ups I have played with. With a good load it should shoot pretty darn good, I'd guess a little better than a Trubor or a Grandmaster. Length isn't so much the deal as weights and balances.....

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, but it's a heck of a lot longer! I just noticed that it's going to be really hard to put a slide racker on that puppy....not too bright.

You just nailed the reason I decided against buying a Trubor. I was all set to order one when it was pointed out that there was no way to install any of the currently available slide rackers on this gun.

All STI needed to do is leave a little metal on the slide just behind the ejection port, charge an extra 25 bucks to include a dovetail slot, and they would have sold a lot more guns.

Bill

Yeah, but it's a heck of a lot longer! I just noticed that it's going to be really hard to put a slide racker on that puppy....not too bright.

You just nailed the reason I decided against buying a Trubor. I was all set to order one when it was pointed out that there was no way to install any of the currently available slide rackers on this gun.

All STI needed to do is leave a little metal on the slide just behind the ejection port, charge an extra 25 bucks to include a dovetail slot, and they would have sold a lot more guns.

Bill

I have seen several Trubors with sidewinder slide rackers dovetailed in the slides

I/We too have two Grand Masters cut for sidewinder slide racker. Just picked up my wifes today from Dawson that he cut and installed one.

Not sure if its acurate or maybe Dawson knows something we don't but he has the Match Master listed in 9mn on his web site. I doubt in stock but its listed.

I/We too have two Grand Masters cut for sidewinder slide racker. Just picked up my wifes today from Dawson that he cut and installed one.

Not sure if its acurate or maybe Dawson knows something we don't but he has the Match Master listed in 9mn on his web site. I doubt in stock but its listed.

STI now lists it in 9x19 on their website. A sales guy at the factory confirmed it's available in 9x19, but will come with a T1 comp (same as 9x19 Trubor) instead of the T2 shown on the 38 Super.

A couple of Trubors have had slide rackers installed even though they don't have that much metal on top of that rear part of the slide. I think the dovetail for the racker wasn't so deep as you've seen in many other open guns.

That's great news that the MatchMaster is available in 9mm! I'm especially glad since I've already got the SteelMaster...

The .38 super is obviously easier to load to major, but it isn't too difficult with the 9mm. Although, I have to admit that every 9 mm major load around here (as well as most other loads too) that I've encountered have been loaded using VV powders, which are expensive in the U.S. and sometimes not so easy to find. In Finland they are cheaper than just about anything else plus they're usually all that is available in most gun shops. The only imported powder I've bought is a small one pound can of H-110 (as an alternative for VV N-110 revo loads) and it cost more than what I have to pay for a kilo of N-110!

I noticed that STI has also changed the description of the SteelMaster...They no longer state that it's 9 mm minor, but just 9 mm and they're also making it in .38 super. What do you think; are they changing their minds about this model being suitable for major loads with the light RecoilMaster or what's going on??

I've tried a 9 mm STI GrandMaster with a light RM and it worked with both factory (minor, pf around 130) and handloaded major ammo. I'm curious if these newer, lighter models can do the same and still be durable doing it.

• 2 months later...

received my match master from dawson today 38spr. was coverd in what looks like motor oil sticky and nasty. they say sti ships them like that. took three cleanings to get the stuff off and out of gun. the gun is super nice and light shoots flat but i do not like the recoilmaster because gun feels lazy. replaced it with a 9# recoil spring and i like that feel better. the trigger was rough and i expected it to be a lot better for that price!!! taking it to my gunsmith tuesday for] trigger job and to get rid of some of the rough eddges inside. follow up to come when gun is to my likeing. also it will fit a side winder slide racker.

Could you post a picture showing how the slide racker is installed? Pretty please?

Bill

Don't have a pic but the finished sidewinders that Shooters connection sells has the set screw on the end at a 45 degree angle, Assuming there's enough meat behind the breechface,you don't have to worry too much about clearing the c-more.