Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK Thanks I forgot that the 1 comes up on the phone when the call is long distance.

Actually the access code (1) does not get passed through on Caller ID. What you got was probably a "spoofed" caller id. Modern phone systems can be configured to send out any caller ID you want. You are supposed to send out a viable number that you own, but not everybody does. I could send out 911-911-9111on every outbound call from a PBX I configured if I was so inclined.

I routinely get telemarket calls from 000-000-0000 at my house, either that or someone has a pretty cool phone number. :unsure:

Uh, yeah, what West said. Fake caller ID. Good thing to ask, because even if it sortof does look like a US or Canadian number, know that some Caribbean islands share our numbering plan (NANP) so if you return the call, you get nailed for a huge international long distance charge and the "vendor" gets a payment from the island phone company.

The NANP countries (US, Canada, etc.) are the only ones with a country code that starts with "1", so Jamie's 177 is bogus. And no area codes start with "1".

Lee

Edited by lmccrock

It's true that the access code (1) does not get passed through on Caller ID, but some phones can be configured to display a 1 in front of a long distance number to identify it as LD, and for ease of return dialing.

It's true that the access code (1) does not get passed through on Caller ID, but some phones can be configured to display a 1 in front of a long distance number to identify it as LD, and for ease of return dialing.

My phones do not display a "1", but I have never received a call from a country with country code other than "1" (e.g., the UK is 44) so I am not sure what it would look like. My cell phone does not require the prefix "1" for any domestic call.

Lee