Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Varget

ofcrfs242

So I let my supply of Varget get low and need two 8 lb kegs. I have checed with Natchez, Graf and Sons, and Powder Valley and nobody has any. Powder Valley is expecting a shipment in at the end of this month but don't know if it will fill the backorder list.

Anybody have any ideas on where I can pick some up?

Thanks in advance

Robert

I have swags, but this aint going to help you.

Get in contact with Hodgdon in Shawnee Mission in KS. Ask them where the major distributor (example Outdoor Sports HQ etc) for NM is and ask him who he is supplying local to you. You may pay a little more this way as the cheapest place is usually the first to run out, but get as much as the wallet can stand.

I tend to over buy powder, but, I get all the same batch and I rarely run out. Never let it get to the point that you have opened the last can and you have not started the search for more. I see so many guys complaining that x brand is out of stock and they opened the last can 3 months ago and used it all up last night and now I need more pronto.

• 2 weeks later...

By the time I got back to this thread Bruno's was out of it. I did find some at Wideners and got what I needed coming. Don't know if they have any more left at this time.

Thanks

ETA: Sorry I just rechecked and Wideners is out of it as well. Over 100 8 lb kegs sold in three days :surprise:

Edited by ofcrfs242

• 2 weeks later...

I still have not found any in quantity so I picked up 24lb of 748. Hope it works well with the 69gr sierras. I hated to switch but I had to have some powder!!! Now on to the SRP search. My reloading manual shows a max load of 24.5 with the 748. I have read a lot of posts that show 25gr of 748 as being a great load for the 69gr bullets. Does anyone have any recent experience with 748 that could or would share some load data.

• 4 weeks later...

Charliez

If he got some and they are now out, I deduce he got the last.

Look all around the burn rate of Varget and there is about 6 powders that will work similarly, 748, BLC2, 4064, 4895, N140, H335, AA2460 & AA2520.

I tend to buy enough powder to get me through 18months minimum, then every 3 - 4 months I look around for extra powder to top up as I use it.

Robbie Wheaton

You posted you have used Varget and are using 748 for 69gr MK, try Benchmark 23.5gr, not max but very accurate in everything I ever tried it in.

BTW the 25.0gr load is a little over but works uf you ease out the load length a little, it also depends on how long th ethroat is in a particular rifle. In one of my customers 24.0gr is max, at 2.240" 0.020" under maximum recommended. He is just clear of the rifling.

Sure you can use other powders, but you have to do load development all over again. Doing that for every 8lb keg isn't practical :rolleyes: but might be worthwhile if you do it for all powder types of similar burn rate. I'm not that rich :lol:

I've been monitoring midway, have a reminder set for about a month now, and had not seen it available either way. So wondering how Robbie snuck by to get his 16lbs of Varget.

Yup, I still have some Varget, but am looking to replenish, or top up as you say it.

Edited by charliez

I had 16lb of Varget on order as of 3/2. It was suppose to ship 2 weeks from the time og the order. Midway cancelled the order.

"In regards to your powder order ####### we are out of the Varget powder and had to cancel the entire powder order. We have issued a credit to the credit card that the original order was placed on. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Can you get ADI Powder in the US

Many of the powders sold under the Hodgdon brand in the USA are made by ADI Ltd. in Australia. If you can’t find a recommended load for a particular Hodgdon powder in your caliber, download the latest ADI Smokeless Powders Handloaders Guide, a 2.8 megabyte Acrobat file.

Here’s a list of ADI to Hodgdon Powder equivalents from another website (ADI Hodgon Powder Comparison)

ADI / Hodgdon Propellants

ADI Powder/Hodgdon naming

AS30N.................Clays

Trail Boss.............Trial Boss

AS50N.................International

AP70N.................Universal

AR2205...............H4227

AR2207...............H4198

AR2219...............H322

BM2....................Benchmark

AR2206H.............H4895

AR2208...............Varget