Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Optic for 3 Gun-Get now or wait for new models

DMAC

Trijicon's new 1x4 is pretty sweet. Very nice field of view and the reticle brightness can be turned down with a cover that slide over the fiber optic panel. The other new scope that I saw was the IOR Valdad 1x4. It's a true 1x4 like the Trijicon, (at least as far as I can tell) with a short over all length and a BDC reticle for shooting longer ranges. It'll be kind of expensive, at least over 1000.00 but they didn't have pricing fixed yet.

I saw the TR24 at shot show yesterday, it is very nice with good turrets that allow easy dialing in for different zero's. The attendee at the booth said it was in production as we speak and should be on shelves in about a month. List at around $900.00. Most promissing glass I saw (for 3-gun)at the show in the under $1000 range.

they will be in at Midway by the 31st i think it says, not sure right now

the price looks on par with similar sights

they have lit listed for $765 which means it will probably be found for cheaper somewhere else...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=375725

my question is, can you use these in the role of a 1X red dot type optic as well as Magnified?

dual role?? isn't that the point of it?

Edited by Gunsby_Blazen

I saw the TR24 at shot show yesterday, it is very nice with good turrets that allow easy dialing in for different zero's. The attendee at the booth said it was in production as we speak and should be on shelves in about a month. List at around $900.00. Most promissing glass I saw (for 3-gun)at the show in the under $1000 range.

Thanks for the info, I've been waiting for an update on this.

they will be in at Midway by the 31st i think it says, not sure right now

the price looks on par with similar sights

they have lit listed for $765 which means it will probably be found for cheaper somewhere else...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=375725

my question is, can you use these in the role of a 1X red dot type optic as well as Magnified?

dual role?? isn't that the point of it?

Well, kind of. These scope-based sights are NOT reflex sights like an EOTech or Aimpoint. Even at 1X you still have to deal with eye relief, exit pupil, etc. You need to have a pretty reliable cheek weld unlike a reflex sight. But you can shoot both eyes open and with some practice they can be very fast optics. And you get the benefit of variable magnification.

IMHO at 1X and close targets you don't really need to be anal about your cheek weld. If you are not anal and picky a 1-4X will be as fast as a red dot at close range. I think it's mental if you aren't as fast with a true 1X when compared to a red dot.

Well I purchased the K-dot and maybe I'm just mental. It is definitely not the same as the Eotech at short range and 1X. I have the eye relief set properly, but when I shoot both eyes open and focus on the target, but image and reticle are blurred in the K-dot. Once my dominant eye takes over, the target and reticle come into focus and it does take a fraction of a second for this to happen. I thought maybe the eye relief distance was wrong or the optic may have been dialed in with some minus sphere necessitating me to accomodate, but this was not the case.

I think with some practice it will be pretty easy to acquire the targets at close range almost as quickly as the Eotech, but even if there is slight blur when I first pick up the target, I'll probaby be able to see it well enough to shoot quickly (just looking through the scope for the first time today, it only takes a fraction of a second).

I see the appeal for the magnifiers for the Eotech/Aimpoint now as you can still preserve all of the advantage of this platform for the very rapid target acquisition and have the benefit of magnification (I know there are limitations with this and it is not as good as a low power scope for further distances).

IMHO at 1X and close targets you don't really need to be anal about your cheek weld. If you are not anal and picky a 1-4X will be as fast as a red dot at close range. I think it's mental if you aren't as fast with a true 1X when compared to a red dot.

I agree on the mental aspect which is why in my post I said that "with practice" you can be very fast with a variable power optic but it definitely takes more practice than a reflex sight.

I'm a current EOTech 557 w/ 3X magnifier user and for our local matches that top out at 200yds it works just as well as anything else out there. But as I look at doing some major matches this year with longer distances the 3X just doesn't really cut it.

I'm looking at the new Burris XTR and finally joining the "cool kids" with 1-4x scopes <_< We'll see how long it takes me to adapt.

I have a Millett on my DPMS .308 for 3 gun. Friends have both the Burris and Meopta. I looked over the Weaver and Trijicon at SHOT.

My Millett does fine. Yes, the red washes out in bright light. Same pretty much for the Burris. But both have crisp reticles that are easy to

pick up even when they look black. The Meopta has the brightest illumination. The Weaver is pretty much just crosshairs and although

it may be best for distance, I can't see it being quick up close. The illumination is so small it may as well not be there. The new Trijicon

is built well and bright. I personally don't care for the Accupoint reticle for distance shooting though. The other 1x4 stuff is out of reach

pricewise for me so no use looking at it.

Personally, all have strong and weak points. I like the Burris reticle best. If it only had the illumination of the Meopta or Trijicon, it would

be awesome. But, as I mentioned, I don't do this for a living so can't justify huge expenditures. I don't see the benefit in the Meopta or

Trijicon for me. The Millett works well for me and has retained zero in it's LaRue mount for almost 2 years. This includes being removed and

remounted several times. But if I need another 1x4, it will be the Burris. I have some Burris scopes and they have never been a problem.

Other than long distance stuff though, I will stick to my C-Mores. Never had a bit of problem and I have 5 of them.

Just my $.02. Oops, actually only about $.01. The wealth got redistributed somewhere......................

Craig

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I will be at the Blue Ridge Mountain 3 Gun, so hopefully some shooters there will have the new Burris XTR as well as the Trijicon TR-24 so I can compare them to Meopta

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out why it was taking a second for things to come into focus with the K-dot. The Ocular was dialed into the maximum minus. This is -3.00D ! I was accomodating 3D for my distance targets. I set it to zero and now things are instantly in focus. I feel so much better about my $700 purchase now. Must.....read.....instruction.......manual......

Edited by DMAC

• 4 weeks later...
I figured out why it was taking a second for things to come into focus with the K-dot. The Ocular was dialed into the maximum minus. This is -3.00D ! I was accomodating 3D for my distance targets. I set it to zero and now things are instantly in focus. I feel so much better about my $700 purchase now. Must.....read.....instruction.......manual......

ROFL, I did the exact same thing on my Meopta. It was working OK at 4x, then I turned it down to 1x and I couldn't see shit with both eyes open. I was like WTF...

Turned the ocular out to 0 and poof, almost as good as an Aimpoint.

Shot it for the first time last weekend, on my new JP15 rifle. I think I'm in love...

jp15_s.jpg