Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad batch of primers?

kgunz11

Look at these primers and tell me if you notice anything. When I opened the first pack I saw a little discoloration, but thought "eh they're just tarnished a little bit, shouldn't hurt anything right?" So I loaded some ammo. 600 rounds worth! :surprise:

Well I started shooting some of this batch of ammo and I am getting tons of what appears to be light strikes. I had some ammo left from a previous batch of primers and they all fired without a hitch, so that has me to thinking the mainspring is fine.

In the presumed bad batch of primers, I am getting about 10 failures to fire per 100 rounds as evident in these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kgunz11

Has anyone ever gotten a bad batch of primers? Do these look a little funny to you? What do I do with the other 1400 primers I have left from this purchase? Most places wont take back primers... :angry2:

DSC00051Large.jpg

DSC00050Large.jpg

Will they fire on a second strike? If so, you may need to seat them deeper. IOW, high primers. I've shot lots of discolored primers with no trouble but there is always the possibility they are bad. What brand are they?

MLM

I am using a Dillon 1050 to load them, they are seated as deep as the Dillon will seat them. It's not like I am short stroking a 650, the 1050 does everything in the down stroke.

The Primers are Winchester Small Pistol Primers. Most of them will fire if you run them back thru the gun, but some wont. Next time I go shoot I will save some of the bad ones so you can see they have a substantial strike on the cup of the primer.

I've shot a crap load of WSR primers in my Open guns and Limited gun. I've noticed that mine are discolored also but they all go bang. Run your index finger along the rows of ammo you have in your pics. If there are any high primers you'll feel them.

CYa,

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

<_< is it a New 1050? seams like after the first few thousand on a new 1050 the primer seating has to be adjusted. I got a few WSRP that looked like what you have but they were all fine.

<_< Time sensitive primer test for primers that only last 3 months. :unsure: I know thats not funny

Mo, it's an older 1050 that I bought from Zhunter. No telling how many thousands of rounds have been loaded on this thing. I have some CCI small rifle primers I might load 100 of those and see if it happens with those also. That might lead me to look more into the press or the mainspring.

BTW, pulled the firing pin spring and all is fine in there. If you watch some of the YouTube videos you'll see I have bad rounds in every stage but the classifier. It's the only stage I won outright.

OK, so Mo's post got me to thinking about the possibility of them being high primers. So I took a few of them out and stood them up on the primer. Some wobble way more than others, meaning some sit almost flat and will barely rock back and forth and some act like they might want to tip over.

Looks like I will be calling Dillon in the morning to find out how to adjust seating depth.

What are the chances of a "kaboom" if I run these loaded rounds through the primer seat station again to seat them better?

(don't answer that, I know)

Looks like I have about 1500 rounds of plinking ammo (since they got mixed in with others)

We've been through this one before. I would not reseat them. The possibility for a detonation is very good. I'll post a picture if you like.

The adjustment is on the tool head. It is not explained very well in the manual but it is there. If you don't have one, dillon has them online in PDF. Dillon 1050 manual

Basically there is a primer push rod that has an Allen head on it. It is in between the resizing die and swage die. Twist it down (clockwise) to seat deeper. I leave the allen wrench in it pointing back, away from me. This rod has been known to move on its own, or so I've been told.

Edited by warpspeed

Thanks for the help!

How do you know when you have it properly adjusted?

one of 2 ways: measure for a specific depth or when you stand them up they don't wobble. According to Guy Neill, " Normal recommendation, assuming normal tolerances, is to have the face of the primer 0.003" to 0.008" below the case."

OK, so Mo's post got me to thinking about the possibility of them being high primers. So I took a few of them out and stood them up on the primer. Some wobble

Wobble = bad juju. I always box my ammo then inspect for high primers. I then chamber check all my ammo inspecting once again. Make sure they are seated below flush.

I know you said you inspected the main spring. How??

OK, so Mo's post got me to thinking about the possibility of them being high primers. So I took a few of them out and stood them up on the primer. Some wobble

Wobble = bad juju. I always box my ammo then inspect for high primers. I then chamber check all my ammo inspecting once again. Make sure they are seated below flush.

I know you said you inspected the main spring. How??

I removed the somewhat new mainspring and checked it for crud, debris, a breakage, even swabbed the hole with a Qtip. Everything appeared to be fine there. Did the same with the firing pin spring and channel.

I think considering the huge amount of wobble I have some high primer issues, just don't know why the 1050 all of a sudden started having this problem, but I am calling Dillon now.

What are the chances of a "kaboom" if I run these loaded rounds through the primer seat station again to seat them better?

(don't answer that, I know)

Instead of using your press, you could use a hand primer seating tool. Done correctly, the risk of a detonation from hand-seating primers is virtually non-existant.