Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carnitas Mmmmm

JimmyZip

That's what they call delicioso in my mothers home country of Mexico. It is usually cooked in a large copper kettle/wok looking thing. It gets crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. it is salted liberally. It is usually served with warm corn tortillas and cilantro/onions too. :wub:

This cholesterol laiden dish is just about my favorite Mexican food. I made it for the family tonight. The kids loved it, the wife not so much. :devil:

I freakin' LOVE carnitas... You'd think, living this close to Mexico, that I could find them - and find good carnitas - here in Austin, but noooooo..... All we have is this TexMex bullcrap <_<

I freakin' LOVE carnitas... You'd think, living this close to Mexico, that I could find them - and find good carnitas - here in Austin, but noooooo..... All we have is this TexMex bullcrap <_<

Sounds like you need to learn to cook Dave

Edited by AWLAZS

Love carnitas... Don't find it listed to much at the chains but it's out there....

The subtle Texas additions to the original Mexican recipes have created one the the most flavorable and delicious of all pork dishes, whatever the nationality of creation.

The subtle Texas additions to the original Mexican recipes have created one the the most flavorable and delicious of all pork dishes, whatever the nationality of creation.

Not around Austin they haven't :lol:

And... I do cook, but haven't delved into Mexican cuisine, yet, so... ;) Wouldn't even know where to start....

Not around Austin they haven't :lol:

And... I do cook, but haven't delved into Mexican cuisine, yet, so... ;) Wouldn't even know where to start....

Don't make me insert ( Pedantic definition) here.... :devil:

There is a "Mexican Style" restaurant right down the street from a beach house I stay in weekends. Absolutely no Tex-Mex, it's more what I call Laguna Beach Mexican - low on spice high on super fresh ingredients. They have a slow cooked pork butt with mole` sauce that is almost as good as what you are talking about - but without the grease. It's the most expensive thing on the menu (and still under $20) and they run out almost every night.

I lived in San Antonio for 6 years and was able to find a few really good "provincial" Mexican restaurants. Much better than Tex-Mex. It's really a shame that for the average American, the only thing they know is Taco Barfo. There is a whole lot of really good Mexican food.

Come to New Mexico! We have the BEST Mexican food you have ever eaten. Carnitas are quite tasty but carne adovada is my favorite...smothered in red chili and no-so-low-fat cheese. mmmm :wub:

Come to New Mexico! We have the BEST Mexican food you have ever eaten. Carnitas are quite tasty but carne adovada is my favorite...smothered in red chili and no-so-low-fat cheese. mmmm :wub:

I need to find the sauce recipe for that! I had that ( I think that is what it was) at a friends house but his wife will not give me the recipe. You are right though, New Mexico does have great Mexican food. There is a subtle difference to alot of those sauces. Even my mother who is from Mexico has only a few down pat. Her mole though is good, real good.

Edited by JimmyZip

Cook with anything other than lard and you don't really have mexican food any more! There is a mexican restaurant down the coast from us in Morro Bay called Lolo's and they are proud to say they don't cook with lard. It was the least flavorable mexican food I ever ate. The beans were light & flat, the tortilla chips were light & flat and the entrees needed plenty of salsa to have any taste whatsoever. No go Lolo ever again! Give me lard or give me, well, you know what I mean ;)

I can take some Tex-Mex stuff now and then if it is what I am in the mood for. But I prefer the real stuff. Used to be an honest Mexican place in my home town. It was incredibly good and I would be the only gringo in the place most of the time. I'd hit that place for lunch at least once a week and once they got to know me I was accepted as one of the "family" and got all manner of wonderful stuff to eat that wasn't on the menu.

I have tried various tamales made without lard and NONE of them are really worth eating. My grandmother claimed that the only way to make proper pie crust was with lard...and she had the best pie crust on the planet.

Crap. Now I need to make tamales this weekend. I'm HUNGRY!

Jimmy, you nasty evil man :devil:

You gave me the craving which led to lunch yesterday! The only thing better than real carnitas is when someone else pays for them :cheers:

Supprisingly, we have quite a few good and fairly authentic Mexican resturaunts up here in the North State.