Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

inexpensive + competent boltgun gunsmith

sheik_djibouti

oxymoron or does this exist?

i understand that you get what you pay for... but if all i'm looking to do is cut down and re-crown a 700 or 70, i'd like to believe there are competent smiths who are willing to do it for less than $100... can you help a brutha out?

:blush:

Any competent machinist should be able to do that. Where are you located ?

Most "big name" bolt gunsmiths like GA Precision & Patriot Arms charge about $ 100 to thread the end of a barrel.

I cannot imagine any of them would charge more to simply cut & crown, but who knows.

I prefer to deal locally when I can for gun smithing as shipping can sometimes be a PITA but that is just me.

I use a guy ere in Oxford, AL named Jody Perry 256-282-5388. I let him cut and crown a bbl and now he does all my work, a couple bolt rifle builds and my new limited gun plus alot of other project. I had a gun at Patriot but after I found Jody I got them to send it back to me and let Jody do it, I've been completely satisfied with his work and he has great turn around.

oxymoron or does this exist?

i understand that you get what you pay for... but if all i'm looking to do is cut down and re-crown a 700 or 70, i'd like to believe there are competent smiths who are willing to do it for less than $100... can you help a brutha out?

:blush:

IF the barrel is out of the receiver and Only the barrel... should be easy to find someone to do it for your target price.

Triangle Shooting Sports

10837 Leopard

Corpus Christi, Texas 78410

Monday - Friday from 8am. to 5pm. (CST).

Phone : (361) 241-1091

Fax : (361) 241-1466

E-Mail : hillgm@stx.rr.com

Dave's Metal Works Dave@Davesmetalworks.com He is pretty close to you.

Dave is a great guy but I'd have to drive past R+D Precision to get there :)

If the OP would let us know where he lives, I'm sure we'd come up with a local solution.

For any competent gunsmith to remove a bbl from your action, cut off any length, put it in the lathe, touch it up and recrown it, you're going to have at least $100 in it. If you were them and you had a list of projects, would you want to stop just to do this task and put other customers farther back in build time without being properly compensated for your time?

Some folks are expensive, but their talent and attention to detail are worth paying for. A barrel crown is a make or break situation on rifle accuracy. It is very easy to get it wrong. With the amount of money I have in a custom rifle build, I only trust my stuff with folks who know what they are doing in reference to accurate rifles. I know some damn good machinists, but I'm not going to hand them a $300 rifle bbl and try to explain to them how important it is that it is cut true and square, perpendicular to the bore, and finished to a mirror finish.

Most idiots think the rifle bore is in the center of the bbl. :rolleyes: If they attempt to crown it with that thinking you have just ruined the muzzle.

For any competent gunsmith to remove a bbl from your action, cut off any length, put it in the lathe, touch it up and recrown it, you're going to have at least $100 in it. If you were them and you had a list of projects, would you want to stop just to do this task and put other customers farther back in build time without being properly compensated for your time?

Why would the action need to be removed ?

A lot of smith will use a bandsaw to cut off to the desired length and then chuck it up in a lathe to square it off, crown it, then finish it. Some will put it in the lathe and use a cut off tool to cut it off. The bandsaw does it with less heat to the muzzle of the bbl which is the method I prefer. I tend to stray away from the lazy smiths as it shows a lack of pride in their work which is important to me.

hey guys, thanks for the replies... and i'm in ny. just to clarify, i understand why some smiths get what they charge, and that is fine and well. but i do not want to send my beater 700 sps deer gun to (insert custom rifle shop here) to have the 24" barrel cut down to 20". i'm sure most of you got what i'm trying to say- an economical smith who can disassemble and reassemble a bolt rifle, and cut/crown/thread a barrel without messing it up. i had just that kind of smith, but he no longer has an ffl so i can't send him a barreled action.

btw, i have a new guy question- is there an easy way to check if my posts have replies to them? the only related function i found was "my last 10 posts".

thanks in advance.

How are you going to chuck a barreled action up in a high speed lathe?

Through the headstock. i guess it would depend on the lathe. If you have a big lathe the barrel might not be long enough. Is that what you are saying ?

Hacksaw? :rolleyes:

While I had to get a hacksaw to put in my tool kit when taking the C&S gunsmithing class, I'd use my sawz-all instead. Works great. Cut it close. True it up with a file. Crown it.

So easy.

What's the worst that can happen. If you do it wrong and don't think you will get it right... then you can send it off and pay to have it shortened another quarter inch or so.

Yeah, read up on crowning the barrel and you should be good to go. I've crowned shortened black powder barrels and it isn't difficult. Take your time and do it right.

One bit of advice though. A friend in college decided he needed to shorten the barrel on his .270 for easier packing in the brush. He got a bit carried away and ended up with an illegal firearm by a bit less than .5 inches. Had to get THAT fixed by a gunsmith.