Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

major power factor for florida open

sauza45

I shoot a brazos cs in limited and use the load that came with the gun.

Winchester brass

N320 5.0

winchester small rifle primers

oal 1.220

Local in north florida its at 166 to 167 power factor on 2 diffrent cronos. Would this be ok or should I step it up to about

168-170 and if so, what would be better Lower the oal to 1.200 or up the powder about .1-.2 tenth

I have shot some at 1.200 and it feed fine but didnt get to crono the rounds.

If you're only in the 166-167 range I'd definitely bump that up a fair amount. My standard load that always, always, always goes 170-171pf went 166.1 at Nationals!

I wouldn't be comfortable with anything under 170pf as an average. If you use mixed brass I'd bump that up even more since that's the #1 reason for velocity variation....I'd probably want 171-172 and if I chrono'd a load and it came in at 175, ran perfectly and felt okay, I'd be happy to stick with that as well. Most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference between a 167pf load and one that's 5 or even 10 points higher. R,

Based on personal experience the temperature when your rounds are chrono'd can range from the low 40's to the mid-80's. If your powder is temperature sensitive you'll need to plan accordingly.

Edited by XD Niner

Re: the VV powder.

For what it's worth... I load my son's minor 9 with N320. They were 131PF here in Orlando on an 80 degree day. We went to chrono at Ga State match early in the AM and about 40-45 degrees. They were 131PF.

At the same time mine were 171PF with Silhouette here, and 176PF in Ga.

Some powders are definitely more temp sensitive. It would appear that VV N320 isn't one of the more sensitive ones.

JimInFL

My loads chrono about 167 here at home, so I didn't worry too much about the PF. I went to A6 3G, and my velocity was down and I was really sweating it. Made 165.0 on the nose, but it was NOT a warm and fuzzy feeling. If my MGs didn't weigh in at 180.3, I would have been shooting minor. Bump that powder up a tenth or two. It's not worth it to sweat that much.