Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Help me decide between the 550 and 650

Alright guys here's my story:

I have been reloading for only a few months now. I am currently using a Lee Classic Turret. I have turrets and dies setup for .223, .243, 9mm and 45ACP. Me and my Dad both have AR's in .223 and plan to shoot quite a bit as well as stocking up for who knows what. We already have 3K+ once fired brass plus components and looking at the Turret setup, I just don't have the time to load that much on a Turret.

My #'s for each round go like this:

.223 = Like I said I have a LOT 3K+ to load plus I have a bunch of friends that will be hitting me up as well so I expect this to be at LEAST 3K-6K per year.

9mm = I currently shoot maybe 200 per month so I expect it to be around 1200 per year (this is an acceptable amount to do on my current Turret setup). I may get into IPSC in the future and at that point my 9mm count would GREATLY increase.

.45ACP = This will be VERY low volume probably less than 500 rounds per year (again, with the low round count this definitely can be done on the Turret)

.243 = This is my Coyote/Bobcat hunting round. Realistically 200 rounds or less per season and I think I would PREFER to do these on the Turret.

Cost is a huge factor for me (obvious nod for the 550) and whichever one I go with will be the stripped down bare bones model at the beginning (gonna get it setup for .223 and use my existing Lee dies). I just don't want to have buyers remorse later on feeling like I should have gotten the 650 for the Progressive function as well as the 5th die (which would probably end up being the Powder Check). I'm assuming though getting the 650 WITHOUT the Case feeder leaves the Progressive function kind of mute since i would be handling both the cases and bullets.

Question about the case feeders. I see they list 4 different ones for the small, large pistol and small, large rifle. Do you have to buy 4 different feeders ($800) tu have a feeder for each caliber or is there some sort of parts kits for them?

So, basically, logic is telling me that a 550 in .223 will be just fine and I can continue using my Turret for the other calibers. IF I end up doing MORE in 9mm or another caliber, then it would make sense to get the Caliber change kits for those?

What do you guys think? Am i missing anything? Is there some minor parts I will NEED to get this up and running while using my current dies?

Thanks for any input.

Chris

The short answer is get what you can afford. Either choice is good. Functionally, the biggest difference is the auto-index of the 650. As for the 650 casefeeders, you only change the case feed plate, not the whole machine. There are some other little doodads that get changed but they come with the caliber conversions. Take a look in the FAQs and also give Brian a call and ask him!

One other thing to consider: once you start using ANY progressive, your turret press is just not going to be all that attractive!

Later,

Chuck

PS: Welcome to the forum!

The short answer is get what you can afford. Either choice is good. Functionally, the biggest difference is the auto-index of the 650. As for the 650 casefeeders, you only change the case feed plate, not the whole machine. There are some other little doodads that get changed but they come with the caliber conversions. Take a look in the FAQs and also give Brian a call and ask him!

One other thing to consider: once you start using ANY progressive, your turret press is just not going to be all that attractive!

Later,

Chuck

Thanks for the info. As for what I can afford, it's $406 for the 550 and $529 for the 650 (stripped models) so it's ONLY a difference of $125. I understand caliber changes etc get more expensive (but that looks to be ONLY an additional $30 per caliber) which would come later. The HUGE price jumps happen when you add the case feeder and the powder check which I would HAVE to wait on.

I understand what you are saying about the Turret being less attractive once I move up, but I can live with it until I can afford to upgrade calibers. Plus especially the .243, I'm MOST concerned with precision so I think the slow meticulous process of the Turret would be better.

I'd get a 550. Caliber changes are cheaper. Primer changes from Small to Large are easy on the 550.

I'm definitely leaning 550. ;) As a matter of fact I may have a line on a used one, then all i would have to get is a Caliber Change over kit and the Deluxe kit for .223 and I would be setup for two calibers.

Later,

Chuck

Thanks for the info. As for what I can afford, it's $406 for the 550 and $529 for the 650 (stripped models) so it's ONLY a difference of $125. I understand caliber changes etc get more expensive (but that looks to be ONLY an additional $30 per caliber) which would come later. The HUGE price jumps happen when you add the case feeder and the powder check which I would HAVE to wait on.

I understand what you are saying about the Turret being less attractive once I move up, but I can live with it until I can afford to upgrade calibers. Plus especially the .243, I'm MOST concerned with precision so I think the slow meticulous process of the Turret would be better.

Based on the info you've provided, I'd recommend a 550. Good news is that a case-feeder is now offered for the 550, so you'd still have that option down the road. I think that once you get a Dillon, your concerns about precision will evaporate. IMHO, the Dillon progressive is just as, if not more, precise than any other single stage loader I've ever used. Once you learn how to operate the Dillon, caliber changes are very rapid (especially on the 550). You'll find that you can reload your estimated yearly needs (1900 rounds of other than .223 rounds) in one or two evenings on the Dillon as opposed to who knows how long on your Lee loader.

I predict that once you taste the Blue Kool-Aid, your Lee Turret loader will either reside in your closet or be on the selling block. A word of caution, if you ever use a press with a casefeeder, you'll never go back to hand-feeding them. Hope this helps.

So, with the 550 AND the new Case feeder, you are placing the bullet and indexing with your left hand in one smooth motion? I would guess this significantly increases the speed of the 550.

I hear everyone talking about the time to change calibers. With my current setup with my Turret (if I had a powder measure on each), the swap is almost instantaneous, yet the speed and manual handling of the cases leaves it 4-10 times slower than a 550 or 650. In my mind the changeover time on a 650 (i am reading 10 minutes) is a Non-issue given the productivity speed and the fact I will most likely do my loading like once a month in mass (I don't foresee me swapping calibers every day or even every weekend).

As i said before, I just don't want to be MISSING or WISHING I had the auto-index or the 5th die. :(

Decisions, decisions.

I was looking at the same 2 reloaders as you when i got my 650 for christmas. i love it!!!! i had 2000 rounds of brass and reloaded them in approx 4 hours over a 3 day period now the problem i have is i'm out of brass. I would recomend the 650 because of the progressive. i follow a couple easy steps since the machine is set up and ready.

1. load the case feed tube with about 15-38spcl. ( i cant afford a case feeder yet)

2. pull the handle 3 time since i don't have a powder check

3. set a bullett on

4. pull the handle

5. set a bullett on

6. pull the handle

7. set a bullett on

you get my drift its easy and you could load 200+ rounds in about 20 min without breaking a sweat.

but again thats just me.

FWIW I started reloading last year with a 650. I'm doing some fairly high volume reloading now and if I had bought a 550 I would have some pretty serious buyers remorse. Time is money too.

BINGO! Just what I am talking about.

So really the only difference between the initial cost of the two is $125. If I decide to add a case-feeder in the future (will PROBABLY be my next purchase) it is almost the same price for both yet the 650 can feed rifle cases as well. Caliber changes are $30 more dollars (which in my mind is negligeable).

Caliber changes are a bit slower with the 650, but I don't foresee that as an issue.

Haha, my mind is spinning. :)

FWIW I started reloading last year with a 650. I'm doing some fairly high volume reloading now and if I had bought a 550 I would have some pretty serious buyers remorse. Time is money too.

BINGO! Just what I am talking about.

So really the only difference between the initial cost of the two is $125. If I decide to add a case-feeder in the future (will PROBABLY be my next purchase) it is almost the same price for both yet the 650 can feed rifle cases as well. Caliber changes are $30 more dollars (which in my mind is negligeable).

Caliber changes are a bit slower with the 650, but I don't foresee that as an issue.

Haha, my mind is spinning. :)

FWIW,

I started on an RCBS single stage, then went to a Dillon 550, and now have a Dillon 650. If you can affod the 650, I'd say go for it - it's quicker than the 550 and caliber changes really aren't that much slower - it's really only a PITA when going from LG to SM primers or vice versa. You seem very concerned about the 5th station, but I'm not sure what functionality it really serves - I've never used more than four stations for any type of cartridge (but maybe I'm missing something).

Another big plus with either model is the Dillon RT1200 Case Trimmer - especially since you'll be reloading a lot of rifle rounds. I've got a separate tool-head set up on my 650 so I can resize, de-prime, and trim rifle cases at the rate of almost 1000 an hour.

Whichever one you get, do yourself a favor and invest in the strong mount and the roller handle.

With your requirements I'd recommend 550. You're only talking like 5k per year so why shell out for the casefeeder even? With a basic 550 you could do all that in a couple saturdays.

I load WAY more ammo per year than you are talking about, and I am happy with my 550 (with OUT casefeeder).

I have no buyers remorse over the 650. If I ever upgrade it will be to a 1050. I have considered adding the casefeeder but everytime I have a couple hundred extra bucks in my pocket I buy components to keep shooting (or realize that's a couple hundred bucks I could be putting towards a 1050)....

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I guess I am looking at all of this as "for an extra $125, I will NEVER have to question if I should have gotten the 650". I have read many posts of people who have a 550 and LOVE it. I watched tons of videos of both the 550 and the 650 and they both look awesome. IF I end up loading more than my current numbers, I can't help but think the 650 would be an advantage. WHEN I get a case feeder (it WILL happen eventually), with the 650 I will be able to use it with my rifle cartridges as well (which is a big plus since my primary load is .223).

FullAutoShooter:

As for the 5th station, with my current dies (Lee) I have:

1. Size/Decap

2. Powder

3. Seat Bullet

4. Factory Crimp

The 5th would be used after the powder and would be a Powder Check. It wouldn't happen right away due to funds, but would be on my short list of things to get. With the 550 it is NOT an option.

Dang, now I have a decision to make:

I just talked to a guy that will sell me his Dillon RL 550B with the conversion for .45 ACP. It comes with the following:

.45 ACP Dillon Die set

Strong mount

Aluminum bullet tray

MR Dial installed on the powder bar

and all the other goodies that come with it when purchased new including the manual to set it up.

the press itself is in good condition only loaded about 500 rounds on it and then it just sat there on the bench

for $375 shipped

Then I would NEED the .223 setup which would be another $147.

So a total of $522

Whatya guys think?

Cost is a huge factor for me

Well, if cost is no consideration, go for the 650! Heck, go for 1050 which will swage those 223 cases for you!

I thought you were worried about $.

650 w/ casefeeder is roughly 2x the cost of a 550 w/o casefeeder, especially when you figure conversion cost for 4 calibers.

rvb

Cost is a huge factor for me

Well, if cost is no consideration, go for the 650! Heck, go for 1050 which will swage those 223 cases for you!

I thought you were worried about $.

650 w/ casefeeder is roughly 2x the cost of a 550 w/o casefeeder, especially when you figure conversion cost for 4 calibers.

rvb

Sorry if I am being wishy washy on this.

What I meant by "Cost is a HUGE factor for me", was I would like to spend the minimum now and build on it later. I also stated this before I started looking at price differences for changing calibers etc.

Here is how I see the pricing:

550 - $407

650 - $530

Difference = $123 (Not a huge difference in my eyes)

Cost per caliber change

550 - $138

650 - $170 per with deluxe kit

Difference = $32 (for a total difference of $96 for my other three calibers)

Casefeed assy

550 - $240

650 - $210

Difference = $30

So, the TOTAL difference for similarly configured with caliber changes is: $249 I didn't realize the difference was so little. I hadn't done my research and just kept hearing how much more it is to do caliber changes on the 650.

I'm not really looking at the difference between a 550 without Case-feed and a 650 with a case-feed as i will most likely want the case-feed in the future either way (though arguably i would want it more with the 650 due to the ability to do rifle cartridges).

Edited by hotwls13

I just talked to a guy that will sell me his Dillon RL 550B with the conversion for .45 ACP. It comes with the following:

.45 ACP Dillon Die set

Strong mount

Aluminum bullet tray

and all the other goodies that come with it when purchased new including the manual to set it up.

the press itself is in good condition only loaded about 500 rounds on it and then it just sat there on the bench

for $375 shipped

So a total of $522

Whatya guys think?

That's a heck of a deal in my opinion - you're getting about $550 worth of gear for $375. If cost is a big concern, I'd go ahead and get the bargain 550 with the knowledge that at some point in the future, you'll upgrade to the 650. Either way, you're NOT going to lose any money on the 550 at that price - don't think you'd have any problem selling it for what you'd have in it (more likely, you'd make a small profit). The 550 would meet most or all of your current needs and you could get acquainted with the Dillon company and how they do business. This would let you get started loading right away with the knowledge that you can always sell the 550, add a couple hundred bucks and get into a 650 anytime you want.

.45 ACP Dillon Die set

Strong mount

Aluminum bullet tray

for $375 shipped

So a total of $522

Whatya guys think?

That's a heck of a deal in my opinion - you're getting about $550 worth of gear for $375. If cost is a big concern, I'd go ahead and get the bargain 550 with the knowledge that at some point in the future, you'll upgrade to the 650. Either way, you're NOT going to lose any money on the 550 at that price - don't think you'd have any problem selling it for what you'd have in it (more likely, you'd make a small profit). The 550 would meet most or all of your current needs and you could get acquainted with the Dillon company and how they do business. This would let you get started loading right away with the knowledge that you can always sell the 550, add a couple hundred bucks and get into a 650 anytime you want.

I agree and that's the way I will go. Just talked to the guy, he is shipping ground so i should see it by the end of next week. :)

So, I'm getting the 550 with the thought that if it ends up not what I want in the future I will just sell it. :D

PS, the handle has a bit of surface rust on it below the 8-ball, can I get Dillon to replace it? No worries if not as I'm sure it will function fine. :cheers:

If someone offered me a FREE 550, I would still gladly pay full price for a 650 instead. As for the 5th station, that’s where you kiss bullet feeder goes. What my buddy reloads in a weekend on his 550, I reload in just a couple hours.

Another consideration on the casefeeder-later idea............The 550 will only handle pistol caliber ammo in the casefeeder. The 650 will take rifle cases.

FWIW

Alan~^~

Yep, this is one of the things I mentioned above. It's gonna be the 550 for now with the option to sell it and upgrade to the 650 later. This way I get to try the 550 and see if it's what I want. :)