Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rounds Move Forward in 9mm 1911 Single Stack Mags

Duane Thomas

One thing I'm finding about running a 9mm single stack 1911 is that, after chambering the top round off a full magazine, the next cartridge in the mag (which is now the top cartridge) often moves forward in the feed lips far enough that the mag will not fall free when you punch the mag release. Also, this often happens when firing the gun, if you try to do a speedload before the mag is down to only a few rounds remaining. Whether I'm running Wilson, Metalform or Tripp mags seems to make no difference. I've had the same thing happen when running a single stack 9x23, as well. Is there any cure for this, or is it just the price we pay for running a cartridge with a tapered casing in a single stack mag?

Duane,

This is a common problem in CZs. The CZ, being on the economy side of things comes out of the factory with a fairly sharp corner where the disconnector rail and the bottom of the bolt face meet on the slide. This edge can push the top round forward. The fix is to break and polish the edge of the bolt face and also polish (stone) the disconnector rail. This may help in your case.

Later,

Chuck

Duane,

This is a common problem in CZs. The CZ, being on the economy side of things comes out of the factory with a fairly sharp corner where the disconnector rail and the bottom of the bolt face meet on the slide. This edge can push the top round forward. The fix is to break and polish the edge of the bolt face and also polish (stone) the disconnector rail. This may help in your case.

Later,

Chuck

Smooth/round the front of that rail out and that should help a lot. Also are you by chance running a heavy spring that is slamming the slide forward aggressivly?

Duane: Are you using 9mm mags or 38 super mags? The 38 super mags gives you a little more room if you load to 1.140. I don't seem to have the same problem in my 9mm using 9mm mags. I use Precision 147 grain bullets loaded to 1.140 OAL. You may also check the feedlip distance to see that it is wide enough to allow the top round to tilt up. Let us know what you find out. Thanks, Eric

The stripper rail only contacts the top cartridge in the magazine as it pushes it forward and out of the magazine, it never touches the next round down - right? So how could rounding off the front of the stripper rail make any difference in whether or not that round moves forward?

The stripper rail only contacts the top cartridge in the magazine as it pushes it forward and out of the magazine, it never touches the next round down - right? So how could rounding off the front of the stripper rail make any difference in whether or not that round moves forward?

The only thing I can think of is rimlock --- where the top cartridge drags the one underneath with it, until the lower cartridge stops against a hard surface.....

I had to go hand cycle a gun before I posted this: The lower edge of the bolt face pushes the top round (round #1) out of the mag as the slide moves forward. Until #1 clears the mag feed lips, the disconnector rail can not touch round #2. When #1 clears the feed lips, # 2 pushes up #1 and then the front edge of the bolt face and the rail both have an opportunity to touch the forward portion of #2 as the slide drives #1 into the chamber. This used to happen on my CZ (and many others, right Stuart?) until I broke that edge and polished the disconnector rail.

Later,

Chuck

The only thing I can think of is rimlock --- where the top cartridge drags the one underneath with it, until the lower cartridge stops against a hard surface.....

I'm coming to the conclusion that there IS a reason the rim on a .45 ACP cartridge is slightly smaller than the case body. That John Browning guy....

Duane,

Later,

Chuck

+1 This fix worked like a charm on my CZ, which had an extreme problem in the exact way you describe. I'd try that.

Duane,

Later,

Chuck

+1 This fix worked like a charm on my CZ, which had an extreme problem in the exact way you describe. I'd try that.

I also had this happen and a few strokes with a stone on the corner problem gone. I thought this was a mag problem and called Beven Gram. We worked through the problem and I took his advice. Problem Gone!!!