Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-Gun Match of a Different Flavor

uscbigdawg

So, I spent the weekend shooting out to 1000 with various rifles and got to thinking of a 3-Gun match of a different flavor. Who'd be interested in a Carbine, pistol & long range rifle 3-Gun match?

Carbine Limitations: Target distance to less than 400 and probably reactive steel

Pistol: Normal stuff

LR Rifle: Steel out to 600 and maybe paper targets out to 1000.

Rules would be typical IMGA-type. Scoring would be Horner on the carbine & pistol. On the bolt rifle, it'd be straight points. Stages, penalties and bonus targets would be weighted appropriately to balance skill sets.

Thanks,

Rich

I would have thought so, but we did a match to a 'K' yesterday and were done before noon. I like that a lot especially when I found out we can practice at that range 3-4 days a week and can shoot on the 600 yard silohuette range every day!

Rich

So, I spent the weekend shooting out to 1000 with various rifles and got to thinking of a 3-Gun match of a different flavor. Who'd be interested in a Carbine, pistol & long range rifle 3-Gun match?

Carbine Limitations: Target distance to less than 400 and probably reactive steel

Pistol: Normal stuff

LR Rifle: Steel out to 600 and maybe paper targets out to 1000.

Rules would be typical IMGA-type. Scoring would be Horner on the carbine & pistol. On the bolt rifle, it'd be straight points. Stages, penalties and bonus targets would be weighted appropriately to balance skill sets.

Thanks,

Rich

my wife and I wold love it but the problem would be paper out to 1000, the scoring would take forever

You might be surprised. Shooting at 100, 300, 600, 800, 900 and 1000 yesterday in 2 relays of 20 shooters, we were done in no time. Standard positions were tested and the addition of sighters too added to the time. First shot was at about 830 and scores were posted a little after 11. The stages for this match wouldn't be that intensive.

Rich

ETA: The scores on paper would come from guys working the pits.

Edited by uscbigdawg

I would have thought so, but we did a match to a 'K' yesterday and were done before noon. I like that a lot especially when I found out we can practice at that range 3-4 days a week and can shoot on the 600 yard silohuette range every day!

Rich

Where did you shoot at, Sac?

Yep. Dude...it was sweet!!!

Rich

ETA: Pics from yesterday (from my crappy cell phone):

This was only half of the second relay!

NCPPRC-Jan.jpg

NCPPRC-Janat800.jpg

When we shoot on the 1k range, it's a position match. The 600 silohuette range is where the dynamic stuff, MGM targets, et. al. come out.

Edited by uscbigdawg

There are matches like this (long range rifle + carbine + pistol). They're kind of hard to find and take a large range or amount of land to put on.

Sniper matches and LR precision matches are often shot at steel targets so there's no re-set. Targets are reactive or hits are scored by spotters.

Most of this type stuff is out west. We're fortunate here in Alabama, there's one down near Auburn at Hardrock Range next month. It's a 2-gun (LR Rifle + pistol).

So many matches, so many guns........so little $, so little time.........