Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighten slide or not?

Freddie the Swede

Whats the real benefit of lightning the slide?

I have not done this since I have used my slide for dual purposes. I both use it for IPSC OPEN and some 25 yard precision shooting where I'm not using the optical sight (C-more).

I see a lot of guns here with a lot of holes in them, are all the holes there to make the gun look pretty or have they a real purpose?

I can understand that a light slide makes the cycle faster but is there a real benefit for it?

Would the service life of the slide be shorter if I mill away a lot of metal from it? The weight is there for a reason and by design, right? Or did JMB just shoot from the hip when he designed the gun??

I migh be out on a limb here but you might straiten me out a bit.

Might be a question already asked but I couldnot find it when I did a search.

Cheers

Fredrik *trying to understand more* Lundbeck :blink:

Edited by Freddie the Swede

Here's what my gunsmith told me...

A lighter slide will allow for the use of a larger more efficient comp. Heavier slides will need a smaller comp.

A smaller comp will not push the front down as much and it will not slow the slide down as much. It will flip more. Felt recoil should be a bit less since the recoil is flipping up and over your hand.

Larger comps will push down harder and slow the slide down more. It will flip less. Felt recoil should be more since the recoil will come straighter back into your hand.

Here's what my gunsmith told me...
A lighter slide will allow for the use of a larger more efficient comp. Heavier slides will need a smaller comp.

A smaller comp will not push the front down as much and it will not slow the slide down as much. It will flip more. Felt recoil should be a bit less since the recoil is flipping up and over your hand.

Larger comps will push down harder and slow the slide down more. It will flip less. Felt recoil should be more since the recoil will come straighter back into your hand.

This is true.

Matt Cheely lightened my Edge. I've never shot a better shooting Limited gun.

My wife has a slightly tweaked and tuned STI Trubor and a lightened Millenium Custom. When I first got her the MC she said she didn't want to shoot it she liked her Trubor... well that was until she shot the MC. It shoots flatter for her and she likes that. She shot her best match to date Saturday with the MC. I contribute most of its flatter shooting to the slide lightening.

I use my lightened slide for lighter recoil spring (wolff variable power recoil spring 8 Lbs. ). My slide weight 300g so it is about 10,5 oz. We use power factor 160 in Europe for IPSC open division.