Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Batch Loading

kmeyer

Hello. I plan to begin reloading 45acp mostly. May then also do 45 colt, 38, .223 and 30.06 down the road. For the 45acp probably about 2000 rounds a year.

I'm curious how many of you do this in the batch method for pistol rounds using a single stage or turret press? I mean like resize and deprime 200 casing. Then a day or two later prime those 200. Another day or two charge and seat. If so, do you wish you had a progressive? I kinda like the idea of doing it this way, but wonder if I will regret it.

Cost of equipment is a consideration. I want a press that can do rifle if I choose to down the road. All single stage or turrets can do both. Some of the progressive presses cannot. I am leaning towards the Lee turret press which will allow be to do batches or 3 pulls per completed round. I don't want to invest in a dillon right away.

Thanks!

Edited by kmeyer

Previous to getting my Dillons, the dark years :D , I loaded lots of ammo on a single stage.

I would basically size/deprime and bell a large batch of cases. When I was ready to load I would use a Lee hand prime to prime 100 cases and put them into loading blocks. Powder and bullet and then seat and repeat. If I was going to do 500 cases I would prime them all at the same time but woudl only powder and seat bullets 100 at a time.

I liked hand priming because I never liked the priming systems they had on single stages presses. It was also nice because I didn't have to do it sitting at my bench. Using a hand prime just was a lot less effort over press priming.

Neal in AZ

First off, Welcome to the forums! This is a great place.

For .45 ACP on the Lee turret press, you're likely going to want to add the factory crimp/full length resizing die. That brings you to (4) pulls per round. That's 8000 pulls on that short lever for 2000 rounds. I started with the Lee when I began "practical" shooting six years ago. Those extra pulls get old fast.

I'm currently using a Dillon 550 that I picked up used five years ago for $200.00. Very easy to use, although many would argue the Dillon Square Deal is better since it indexes automatically. I still turn out over 330 rounds/hour, although I added the strong mount, empty case tray & bullet tray two years ago.

My current output with the 550 is between 8000 and 10000/year at one pull per finished round. I don't "batch" my reloading jobs. I tumble 200 -300 cases at a time, keep my primer, bullet and powder supplies sufficient and load a few hours every month. (Don't forget to case/sizze check all of your completed rounds). Getting things done in a single session keep me from being concerned about where I am in the process, keeping primed empty cases around, etc.

The other advantage for me is that the 550 handles many longer rifle cases. Although my current need for rifle rounds other than .223 is limited to less than 100/year so I use a single stage press for those. (6.8 Rem SPC for hunting.)

I still use my Lee press for the total of a few hundred .45 Colt & .38 Special rounds I need each year. I can't think of any advantage with the Lee press even for those few.

Hello. I plan to begin reloading 45acp mostly. May then also do 45 colt, 38, .223 and 30.06 down the road. For the 45acp probably about 2000 rounds a year.

I'm curious how many of you do this in the batch method for pistol rounds using a single stage or turret press? I mean like resize and deprime 200 casing. Then a day or two later prime those 200. Another day or two charge and seat. If so, do you wish you had a progressive? I kinda like the idea of doing it this way, but wonder if I will regret it.

Cost of equipment is a consideration. I want a press that can do rifle if I choose to down the road. All single stage or turrets can do both. Some of the progressive presses cannot. I am leaning towards the Lee turret press which will allow be to do batches or 3 pulls per completed round. I don't want to invest in a dillon right away.

Thanks!

I basically do the same that you are talking about. I do about 200-300 cases at a time and so far do not regret using a single stage press. Several of the people that I know use single stage presses over progressives as they feel more confident in the quality of their reloads. If I got the chance to practice as much as many of the people that I shoot USPSA & IDPA with, then I might want to move to using a progressive.

I shoot .45 Colt primarily and normally practice about one a week. I normally use only 100-150 rounds in a practice session. I keep about 600-1000 rounds loaded, with another 1000 cases primed and ready to have powder and bullets seated in them. I can replace the 150 I use in a practice session in about an hour with my setup.

Even if I get a progressive in the future (and I have no current plans to) I will still use the single stage press the majority of the time. I woulld likely load practice ammunition with the progressive and load my match ammunition on the single stage.

That is just me though. :D

I used to use a single station press originally because there was nothing else except the expensive Star progressive press. When the Dillon 450 came out I bought one and was in heaven. When Dillon brought out a conversion kit to convert to 550 I bought that and have been using it ever since. A back problem limits seat time at the computer and the reloading press now (I'm 62) but I say...save your pennies and buy a Dillon you will never regret it because you will be able to shoot more (and you will want to eventually)!

Richard

I'm probably in the minority here, but like you and Blueridge I'm using a single stage press. Mine is a Hornady that bought back in the early 90's. Between my wife and I we are probably shooting somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000-1,200 rnds a month at various USPSA and SC matches. I'm .45, and she is .40, and it's manageable.

I reload in batches kind of like you are describing. I break my reloading down into two sessions (three, if you count cleaning). After tumbling the brass, I run them through the deprimer/resizer die, then bell and prime. I've never timed myself, but I can prep a fair amount of brass in an hour. The prepped brass gets stored in a nut jar until we need loaded ammo.

Sometime later in the week I'll sit down for a couple of hours and charge cases and seat the bullets. I've found that I can get about 150 rnds done in an hour, which is a far cry from a progressive, but like I said above, it's manageable. I like reloading (relaxing), and I can usually find an hour or two in the evenings during the week to get it done (ie when there is nothing on TV). I do have a healthy supply of ammo loaded up in case I get busy during the week, but I try to stay with it to avoid getting backlogged.

Will I upgrade to a progressive? Dunno. This is my first year of competitive shooting. I think it's more a question if I find myself 'struggling' to keep us loaded in ammo. If I can't manage, I'll start looking at a progressive. If things stay the way they are, I'll stick w/ the single stage and use the money to buy more components!

PS, I'm shooting in Single Stack Div, so a single stage press is somewhat symbolic, but guys that I shoot with can't believe I'm still using a single stage press!

I used to load the "batch" method with single stage RCBS press, started with rifle, then pistol. When I became more of a high volume shooter, shooting matches on a regular basis, I needed more volume in less time and switched to the Dillon 550b, have not looked back since. Dillon is the best in the business, they set the standard for progressive loaders. Their no BS warranty and tech support are best in the business as well. I cannot say enough good things about Dillon. Oh, one thing I don't like is there web site, it kinda could be improved, has some double sliding windows that cause alot of slider pulling. :rolleyes:

my 2cents

Here's something to think about: get the single stage press and load for a while on it. If you chose to upgrade to a higher volume press later, keep the single stage for small batches or working up new loads. If you maintain them, single stage presses last forever (not a lot of moving parts, and they are pretty rugged). I'm pretty sure all the major brands sell a single stage 'kit' for reasonable price. Bought mine in 1991 for $200, and I'm still using it! If I upgrade to a progressive, I'm pretty sure I got my money's worth. I'll bet there are lot of guys here that have presses still in service that are way older than mine.

I use the "batch" method. Generaly 200 cases at a time for the auto cartridges. 100 for the revolvers. One step is to clean, next is to size and flare. Third is to prime and last when I need 200 rounds charge and seat bullets. I keep large plastic jars of cases that have been through one or the other steps.

I find it works best for me since I load for several handgun cartridges. If only using the 9mm or 45 ACP perhaps a progressive would be better but use 3 different 45 ACP loads two for 1911's one for a 625. 9's are all the same but then there is the 45 LC and two different 38 spl loads. Couple of rifles too. All that switching does not suit progressives.

You will find heavy cast iron turret presses used often. I have one Lyman turret bolted beside a single station lyman Spartan. Leave the 9mm and 45 acp dies in the turret all the time. Single station I switch out and use for Rifle cartridges too. Also have an old Lyman Tru Line Jr that uses the small 310 dies. Only use it for seating bullets in 45 lc &38 spl. When it comes to presses there is no substitute for weight and mass.

Sounds extragavant all those presses but the lot did not cost 150 bucks. All are mounted on heavy oak T shaped bases, clamp in a strong bench vice ,stowed under the bench when not in use. It's a heavy bench bolted to the post in my shop. That mounting would not work with anything flimsy.

Often think about a progressive but unless shooting volume 9 mm it's not best for my needs

Boats

Just imagine all the dryfire that could be accomplished in that time spent screwing around with a single stage press.

Look at it as an investment in your shooting. Buy a 550/650. Spend all the time you save dryfiring.

-rvb

I do not shoot competition, but still manage 1000/rnds per month in my .45. On my bench you will find a Ponsness Warren semi progessive next to a MEC shotshell reloader, and those next to a Dillon 550. With the toolheads being switchable, I can load volume of the handgun cartridges I shoot the most(.45, .38. ,9mm, .357, .223) with the Dillon, and use the semi progessive for the smaller batch stuff like .44, .380 and .32.