Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much powder / primers can you store

wooddog

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they going to know about that short barreled shotgun under your bed? How did they find out? Do they care?

Are you naive enough to think there are different degrees of violating the law? Breaking a law that is handled by the BATFE can be quite a PITA.

Be legal, be safe, and be happy. :cheers:

Uh, yeah, there are different degrees of breaking the law. That's not naiveté, it's reality. Thus the concepts of self-defense (which is not breaking the law at all), manslaughter, second-degree murder, and first-degree murder. Also the concepts of owning a sawed-off shotgun (specifically prohibited by the National Firearm Act of 1934) and owning a specific number of primers and powder which might not even be a crime at all.

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission."

I had one of the helpful people at JP tell me that when I mentioned that I will be talking to the wife about an LRP-07 <_<

Edited by betterment

Yes, there are, for example, murder 1 vs murder 2, but both are murder.

Are you saying the laws concerning powder and primer are ok to break? Advocating that someone break a law? Where do you draw the line between laws that it is ok to break and those that are not? By the penalty they carry?

So far, I have found a letter from the Fire Marshal of the State of Maryland that limits an individual without a license to only store a maximum of 5#'s of powder.

Siir:

With regards to you quesions:

Most importantly if you are referring to Maryland Law when you site the "5 lb storage per place" please be advised that no one can possess more than a total of 5 lbs of smokeless powder unless they have a license to do so. Possession of greater than 5 lbs of smokeless powder will lead to arrest for violation of Maryland law.

In addition to Maryland law, NFPA 495 regulates storage of smokeless propellants. Please refer to it for other storage requirements, including suitable containers. If your container as describe in question 2 meets those requirements, it would be permitted.

As for place definition in your question, we would consider the off premises site and the residence two places with storage allowed in each as long as all other storage requirements are met as described in NFPA 495. More importantly, I can not over state that a total possession by anyone of greater than 5 lbs is in itself a violation of Maryland Law.

Should you want to consider obtaining a license to possess smokeless powder, please refer to our website for the application process.

Jack Waldner

Bomb Squad Commander

There is an international fire code which puts limits on how much an individual can store. Without buying a copy of the code it is difficult to find much information. It also seems as though many States put additional limitations on what they will allow according to the State Fire Marshals code.

I just ordered 8lbs of VV N320 and 8 lbs of Solo 1000. I have over 20,000 primers and an additional 30 or so lbs of various smokeless gunpowder.

:surprise:

I am not one for picking which laws to obey and which ones to not, I try to walk the straight and narrow, my poor luck dictates that practice for me.

These photos were taken BEFORE I started reloading pistol ammunition.

CIMG2748.jpg

CIMG2747.jpg

Probably not the wisest idea to post pics like that. ;)