Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Stoked

packapax

Uspsa caught my attention about two months ago and I can already tell i've got a problem. I learned so much just researching which gun to get, and now i knowthat I havn't even scratched the surface. On tuesday i orded an SA XDM 9mm Bi-Tone ss/od green and plan to get involved in production division. I heard some questionably remarks about the XDM trigger but besides that it seems competitve. I'm in West Virginia and my gun club in only in it's second year of uspsa. I thought I might not be too far behind but I saw a few of the local guys on you tube and they seem pretty intimidating. My XDM will be here saturday so I should have a few months to prepare before the first match. Anyone have an opinion on the best way to practice for someone who has never shot in a match, or any recommended upgrades for the XDM for production division? Anyone familiar with the Putnam County Gun Club in Eleanor, WV. I would appreciate any suggestions and anything I might have left out that will help an anxious noob!

Uspsa caught my attention about two months ago and I can already tell i've got a problem. I learned so much just researching which gun to get, and now i knowthat I havn't even scratched the surface. On tuesday i orded an SA XDM 9mm Bi-Tone ss/od green and plan to get involved in production division. I heard some questionably remarks about the XDM trigger but besides that it seems competitve. I'm in West Virginia and my gun club in only in it's second year of uspsa. I thought I might not be too far behind but I saw a few of the local guys on you tube and they seem pretty intimidating. My XDM will be here saturday so I should have a few months to prepare before the first match. Anyone have an opinion on the best way to practice for someone who has never shot in a match, or any recommended upgrades for the XDM for production division? Anyone familiar with the Putnam County Gun Club in Eleanor, WV. I would appreciate any suggestions and anything I might have left out that will help an anxious noob!

I would go to the match and watch a couple of the matches with no gun, just to ask questions, like what gear to get, before you spend alot of money on inferior equipment. I would buy Matt Burkett's video 1-3, and how to shoot faster, to get started, that will set you up with the basics and then some. Then when you get your equipment practice dry fire draws, and reloads, go to the range and practice shooting accurately and being safe at first. Good luck, you will enjoy the sport. Also keep an eye on this website there are some pretty intelligent people here that can give you great advice.

Sean

Welcome!

Love your enthusiasm! Work on the fundamentals. Pick up a copy of Brian's book if you haven't already. Shoot A's as quick as you can. And the one thing we will all really appreciate is be ultra safe. Learn and abide by the rules. Concentrate on your game. The course is your competition for now.

Jim

Write to the local guys on Youtube, I'm sure they would help you and teach you the ropes before your first match.

First thing is to learn all the safety rules, don't worry about what equipment you are using or any modification.

Hi, and wecome!

I am new(my first year just under my belt in USPSA) but used to shoot similar type of matches in the 80s. So with that in mind and not really knowing your budget, here is what I would suggest.

Get a good belt. Double Alpha or CR Speed. IF I had had this type of belt when I shot as a youngster I would have been in hog heaven. This I feel is one of the best investments that I have made in my first year. Once you get one you will know what I mean.

Get a decent holster. I use a Bladetech DOH. It is a simple kydex type holster that holds the gun securely and I think there are variants that you can use to shoot production if not that model. Any Kydex that works with the CR Speed or Double Alpha belt that holds your gun securely is good.

Get mag pouches too. Preferably kydex also and I use the Bladetech double mag pouches, but many I see use the singles. They, like the holsters are adjustable for tension. This is a good thing.

Those things and a decent timer, Brian's book, and either Matt Burkett's videos, Steve Anderson's books, Saul Kirsch's book, or heck all lof them if you really like to explore are good.

Many will probably disagree with me on going out and getting all of this now and for them I will say chill. I didn't say get them all at once, but this I think is the minimum you will want shooting production. When this year started I was using all leather old school gear 'cause that is what I started with and that is what I knew. The advancements in materials and such has made leather a thing of the past in our sport. I tried the Kydex and it was a better and CHEAPER alternative to leather.

Your gun and pouches will not stick as the Kydex gets old and they last a long time.

I also bought a timer here on the forums and while it isn't the greatest timer (CED 8000) it works.

What that will give you is the gear to compete at a beginning through advanced level. You will not need to get different gear because you went out and bought things that were uncomfortable and/or awkward. (like I did) That way you can focus on what will probably become not only an addiction, but a sport that will teach you things about yourself that have very little to do with shooting and have positive effects on the rest of your life. ( I know that sounds like new-agey crap, but I think this stuff has really helped me out in many ways)

I hope I haven't bored you to tears, but that is my $10.00 worth. :rolleyes:

Jimmy

Get a copy of Sam Conway's book "The shooters approach to practice". (www.samconwayltd.com) Being new to the sport it will solve the "Well, I'm at the range . What do I practice?" It has 30 or so drills along with progress logs and has a 6 week training plan already in it for you. It will help you progress and save time and ammo (money) by making the best use of your range time.

Welcome to the addiction. I have been shooting USPSA for over 25 years and IDPA since the beginning almost (I'm 62).

Get on the USPSA web sight www.uspsa.com (I believe) and check out the rules and the sight in general. Also there is a club locator function to see if there are any other clubs in your area. Check to see if anyone is shooting indoors this winter. Also contact someone from the club you mentioned to see if they have a "New Shooter" intro/class and if you need to attend before you shoot. Make sure you have good eye and ear protection (electronic ear protection IMHO) is the only way to go.

Ask questions and look and listen.

Have fun, be safe and start thinking about reloading if you don't already.

Richard

PS: The search function on this forum is your friend.

read all that you can Brian's, Saul, Steve Anderson Dry Fire, and Lanny Bassham's books. Read, re-read and then ask questions. Wish I had done that when I had started. Would be in a better place both mentally and skill set.

I'd be shocked if you don't love the XDM. I have to get back to the range this weekend but have absolutely zero regrets in my decision on that gun. Fits like a glove and gives me a lot of confidence with the way I perform with it.

With that said, I'm in the same boat you are having a high interest in the sport and about to jump in myself. I watched the Burkett 1-3 videos and highly recommend them. You'll have a lot to digest in just that one training tool. It covers quite a bit of material and I see myself watching them multiple times as my skill set increases to refine my technique.

Not much else to offer other than - GOOD LUCK!

Mako

I highly recommend the Saul Kirsh DVD 3GM for the person looking to improve their skill set. Also the Lenny Magill VHS IPSC Secrets (not, to my knowledge, available on DVD, sadly - I could stand to be corrected on that) which co-stars our host is great, especially for the new competitor looking to build a skill set.