Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help finding the right reloading books

Txshooter524

You shoot matches with guys in your area who all reload, right? And you probably get along really well with at least one of them?

Hanging out in the garage with a couple of local shooters who know what they're doing for an evening, is a HUGE help before you go buying equipment.

I went straight from factory ammo, to loading on a 650. Didn't waste money, or entire evenings loading 100 rounds, with smaller gear. Went straight to what I knew I'd eventually wind up with anyway, and have never regretted it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Along with the reloading books I would suggest getting the Hodgdon Reloading Manual. It is a magazine that they publish every year showing loading data using Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR powders. I have found it to be quite useful in my reloading endeavours. ;) I just picked up the 2009 version this past week, and have the 2007 and 2008 versions still.

Edited by Blueridge

The Laser-Cast Reloading Manual was edited - and in large part written - by USPSA Grand Master Bruce Gray. Granted it is, as the title would indicate, focused on loading Laser-Cast lead bullets, but there are several excellent articles in the back of the book on loading ammo for various types of handgun competitions. The section, written by Bruce, on ammo for USPSA/IPSC shooting is great, providing both advice for the new competitor and a fascinating overview of ammo choices over the decades. (Bruce Gray has been shooting IPSC since before IPSC even existed. The International Practical Shooting Association was formed in 1976. Bruce Gray fired his first match, back when it was still called "combat pistol shooting" in 1973 at the age of 17 and has been in it ever since, so he's definitely qualified to be writing the "historical overview".)

Along with the reloading books I would suggest getting the Hodgdon Reloading Manual. It is a magazine that they publish every year showing loading data using Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR powders. I have found it to be quite useful in my reloading endeavours. ;) I just picked up the 2009 version this past week, and have the 2007 and 2008 versions still.

+1

Brian's Compition Reloading DVD is not a bad investment. A 650 is the way to go. Get all the accessories you can afford, you will not be disappointed. I certainly regret previously selling mine. Once you have read a quality reloading book or two, you can use the forum to find out what combination makes power factor for you.

Phil

Edited by betterment

You shoot matches with guys in your area who all reload, right? And you probably get along really well with at least one of them?

Hanging out in the garage with a couple of local shooters who know what they're doing for an evening, is a HUGE help before you go buying equipment.

I went straight from factory ammo, to loading on a 650. Didn't waste money, or entire evenings loading 100 rounds, with smaller gear. Went straight to what I knew I'd eventually wind up with anyway, and have never regretted it.

I just took the same leap, and I'm glad that I did. Was shooting factory ammo yesterday literally. I shot a few of my very own reloads today.