Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which sized Bolen basepad

Rocket35

The 4mm's are in the "sometimes not legal category" dpends on your tube. I have two tubes that guaged with room to spare with Dawson SNL's I put the 4mm bolens on them and too the eye they look the same.

See, that is why I asked. ^_^

I just got two of those tubes from SSI at their Area 2 vendor table.

The CPWSA site says you can use the 3mm or 4mm. I got the 3mm to be on the safe side and putting it in my mag guage, it fits with a small amount of room/slack.

Someone said (and it was implied again above) that the 4mm are like +1+'s and when I put one of those on the CR tube, doesn't fit the guage and I can't see using it without removing too much metal which I am not too thrilled about.

I guess it is a matter of what you want. If you want to throw the parts on and go then get the 3mm. If you want to tinker then get the 4mm.

I played it safe and got the 3mm but I will probably pick up a 4mm to see how it fits in the guage and how much metal I would have to remove.

I guess a discussion on removing metal, how much and where, woudl be a good thing to start.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

Yes, all Bolen stuff.

21 rds.

There is a bit more room and I can almsot get another round in it.

I am thinking that the 4mm pad would be enough to get the 22nd round in but I am almost certain I would have to take some metal off the mag and I am hesitant to do that without some guidance on what and where to remove it.

Neal in AZ

where are you guys buying the rescomp mag tubes??

I picked mine up from the SSI vendor table at the Area 2 match in November.

After the article in Front Sight, I have a feeling they are going to be hard to get.

The only reason I grabbed them was because I ran into a fellow shooter who was buying 3 of them after shooting with a GM who swears by them. I trust this guy enough that I bought them on his recommendation alone. Now I find out they are the Shizzel :D

Sometimes I just luck out.

Neal in AZ

What was not conveyed in the FS article is that these magazines are pretty light duty. They will not stand up to the beating an STI or SV based magazine will. They do offer capacity, reloadable capacity, that is unmatched and THAT is the beauty of them. Use them very sparingly, stick with your STI and SV based mags for the vast majority of your shooting. I bought some of the first batch in the country, I beat the hell out of them and I found out what they will take and not take. I also got some of the recent batch that came into the country and they are the same. Overall the magazine is very well made, odds are good it will run right out of the package in a decent gun too but heavy duty it is not.

Howard, I caught that comment on another one of your posts. I was wondering if it applied to older versions of this tube or the current batch? Thanks for the post clearing that up.

Neal in AZ

i have couple of Hsmiths Limited SV mags they fit 21 rounds of 40sw very reliable and loose fits in like 19 rounds.. ive also read somewhere that the lips of the REscomp mags dont stay in shape that long, sure you can reform the shape again but who wants to do that everytime?.for the bolen pad ill try a 4mm and just file gently..maybe if they come up with a better batch of tubes ill try them out

Edited by ogiebb

Neal, the recent tubes are exactly the same as the old tubes. They are extremely consistent from mag to mag and over more than a year also.

Thanks again for the response. It takes someone with your mag tuning eye to be able to know that. As I said, I noted that you had said they were not as "robust" in another thread and I got them with the intent of using them only when needed.

Neal in AZ

I have found that the Bolen pads are extremely thin on the bottom. After using one for 3-4 months and dropping it, the bottom is quite cratered. For this reason as well as the others already mentioned I would suggest loading TO this one or using it where a reload is not necessary.