Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortage of Reloading Components

Sarge

Getting back into reloading and am a little concerned that most everyone is out of the common stuff. Powder valley appears to have the powder I want but the only primers most anyone seems to have are wolf. I read here that they seem to be just fine and will probably order some but what worries me most is that "out of stock" seems to be the norm across the internet. Is supply of components keeping up any better than ammo or guns overall or are things getting harder and harder to find. I guess the thing that I keep telling myself is that I can buy Blazer brass 9mm all day at walmart for $9.00. I hate to think of endless hours on here trying to find primers just to save maybe $3.00 a box in the long run.

Am I worrying too much? I know all about the impending doom of the new political climate so please spare me. I just want to know if the supply is keeping up for now even if it means some backorder delays

Thanks a million

Well a couple things happened this winter that is affecting supply. The Obama factor has people stocking up. But you also have the winter it's too cold to shoot so I have extra money in my budget and time on my hands so I might as well buy a years worth of components. Those factors are causing shortages as well as the continued military usage. As long as manufacturers can keep up with government contracts they arnt worried about us. They dont want to add capacity because they know the government demand will dry up leaving them with too much capacity. You may want to remember the companies that didnt abandon sport shooters like some did when they start trying to sell to us again.

I've shot about 4 thousand rounds of 9mm using Wolf small pistol primers from my Glock. Have not had one problem. So if you are shooting an auto, I would pick some up. I have another 20k of federal I'm saving for my revolver.

Good luck,

Seiichi

I know all about the impending doom of the new political climate so please spare me. I just want to know if the supply is keeping up for now even if it means some backorder delays

Thanks a million

Obviously the supply is NOT keeping up or you wouldn't be here asking this question. What am I missing? Whether the situation will right itself is based on what the new administration does legislatively. Oops you didnt want to hear that :)

I think it is a matter of only looking for a particular brand, the local Scheels has several 1000 MagTech and CCI small & large pistol primers and 20,000 Federal large rifle primers. For some reason no sporting goods store in town stocks Winchester but I usually buy 10,000 every 6 months when MiWall comes to town for the gun show.

My wife and I shoot 9mm and .45ACP a bunch. I have run 5k of .45 with Wolf primers and around 4k of 9mm with Wolf so far and they run very nicely. Powder Valley seems to be nice folks. I shoot whatever components I can get that give me reliable performance. If you buy the Blazer Brass, at least you'll have a bunch of nice once fired brass to reload when things shift again!!

" The real purpose of Asana practice is to learn to maintain balance when you have your feet grounded in shifting sands!"

This is a GOOD time to do Warrior poses!

Thanks to everyone but Larry. Just kidding.

What I mean is are (lets just say primers) always in short supply? Back in the day when our Trap club was pooling funds we would go to a good sized gunshop and buy jillions of primers. That was over ten years ago mind you, but today it just seems different. I went to three gunshops today that had nothing, not even one box of 100. And all said they had tried everything and just could not get any. I guess I am just getting back into shooting and reloading in a different era and at a bad time.

I did find a secret source for powder and primers if I ever need it. It was at a tiny gunshop that caters to Trapshooters. He had bunches of pistol powders and primers. Said I was the only guy to ask for any in a long time. They called themselves a general store. LOL I have never seen so many$5000 shotguns in a general store.

Anyway thanks again, especially on the wolf primer info.

Back when the last AWB was passed, we had [what was commonly called] "the great primer famine of 1994". Primers went from available-anywhere for about $12/1000, to pay-whatever-the-seller-wants-if-you-can-find-them. I remember seeing people pay $25-30/1000 at the gun show for whatever they could find.

It eventually passed. Prices never came back down to prior levels, but in the late 90s and early 2000s it was easy (?) to find primers and $70/sleeve ($14/1000) was not uncommon.

What we have going on now (JMHO) is a confluence of two things - there's a war on, which has sucked up a considerable portion of the supply for several years and put upward pressure on prices (I haven't found sleeves at less than $100 ($20/1000) in some time), and since the election there's been panic-buying/hoarding in fear of what the next administration might do. I suspect that when we look back, this will be "the great primer famine of 2008/2009".

At some point when the panic calms down, there will probably be a period when supply gets caught up (on a lot of things, not just primers), even though prices may not come back down.

So, bottom line... from a historical perspective, this shortage is a bit of an anomaly. But it is an anomaly that's been going for a while, and may go for a while longer.

Wideners has CCI Large pistol primers for $24.75/1000. If you order enough, the hazmat can be diminished. I usually try to purchase at gun shows for the best price per 5000.

Edited by h2osport

I talked to a commercial reloader today that i get my 223 brass from and he said that primers are nuts right now. they will only us US made stuff so they are living with the issues but said that he cannot get all he wants. Sounds like allocation.