Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PB92's Open Beretta 92CompGun

PB92

My project after the Open Beretta is a Limited 90-Two. I started it already. The comp on the Open gun is aluminum, hand polished to blend with the polished slide flats (an un-official trademark of mine over the years). Beacuse of the Beretta's Operating system (OS) a comp much heavier then aluminum will pull the muzzle end of the barrel down with too much force, and cause the rear top of the barrel lugs to pre-maturely wear the frame where the barrel lugs ride in.

Some shops put stainless comps on Beretta's..........go figure.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot a Beretta 92 for steel plate rack speed shooting for about five years when I use to live in the New Orleans area. Very similar to PB92's. They are FFFast!! They have naturally what most 1911's/2011's want to be. Light fast slide, wide open ejection port, and utter reliability. And once you get used to it you can pull thru the DA first shot just as fast as a SA gun can drop the safety. They have slightly more muzzle rise than a 1911, but since you are doing a transition on each shot it makes no difference whatsoever, only matters trying to do fast dbls on cardboard.

PB92, I definitely would recommend some sort of a bushing on the fwd end of the slide/barrel/comp area. The exit gases leaving the comp move the barrel around quite a bit, hurting consistent accuracy. A simple bushing works wonders for the accuracy and stops the barrel lugs from taking all the load. A simple sleeve over the barrel and soldered in is all you need, polish the bore in the slide, and size everything to match. Or a small cone on the comp works the same. Anything for a little fwd support.

Hey BerettaRacer! I have the DA to SA transition so slick I cant tell the difference anymore. I mean everything that moves in this gun is polished.....have the blisters to prove it...... I did put a conical barrel bushing threaded onto the KKM NM barrel.........................

Here's a pic some months ago before the optic and stippling....................

Picture331.jpg

And you are right bro, it is fast!! I have this gun with the right load shooting like a .22 with long rifle ammo......gotta luvit. You still shoot Beretta's?

Edited by PB92

Still have 2 of the open guns but rarely shoot them. They've been reconfigured a little over the years since I stopped shooting the plate racks. One has a C-more ( had a Docter for a while until it died) and the other has big laser on an upper rail for indoor shooting. Not real pretty, mostly work guns not show.

Now mostly shoot Production, have a matched pair of two Steel I's, with Barsto barrels and Elite II slides (wanted to stay w/ the "G" config and decocker) but have the steel frames.

• 1 month later...
Hey BerettaRacer! I have the DA to SA transition so slick I cant tell the difference anymore. I mean everything that moves in this gun is polished.....have the blisters to prove it...... I did put a conical barrel bushing threaded onto the KKM NM barrel.........................

Here's a pic some months ago before the optic and stippling....................

Picture331.jpg

And you are right bro, it is fast!! I have this gun with the right load shooting like a .22 with long rifle ammo......gotta luvit. You still shoot Beretta's?

PB92 thats a nice beretta. I do use a beretta for steel and I have been looking for a barrel and comp such as yours.

also the magwell. where can I get these items?

Thanks in advance.

• 11 months later...

Hey guys. Well, the ceracoater didn't coat it correctly with the blue titanium, so I then decided to have the frame hard chromed. After months of experimenting with finding the correct voltage ( the frame is aluminum and the frame rail inserts are A2 tool steel, dis-similar metals), I could not hard chrome it. Sooo, I sent it off the Florida to have the frame properly ceracoated in bright Beretta blue. But I had to wait my turn, there were 200 guns in front of mine. It took forever.

The frame is done, and will ship in the next few weeks. Then I put it together, and dial it in. This project took much, much longer then I had planned. But remember, there are no custom Beretta parts warehouses out there, had to contact a bunch of people and have parts made. That takes time. I will post some pics of it when it gets here. Thanks for all the interest guys, this IS a sweet, smooth fast shooting pistol!!

>Bob

PB92, what are you doing to the trigger? I wouldn't mind some hints on how to make my Beretta Elite II trigger lighter than it already is.

I can't say much right now, but it will be an initial limited run comp pistols, 100-200 guns. I can say my specs call for a Brig slide and S/A frame mounted safety with a steel frame.

I thought the Brig slide wasn't coming back?

Edited by DyNo!

DyNo, the easiest way is to put in a "D" model spring, it can be ordered from Dave Olhasso. www.olhasso.com I would suggest you just contact Dave as there are a few ways to lighten and smooth the trigger group up.

USMC1974, firstly, SEMPER FI my brother, kilo 3/3 here. The black grips you see are real carbon fiber (CF), from Carbon Creations. I have blue CF grips from them also. They are slightly thinner then the factory plastic grips. They really grip well, much better then the factory grips. The blue grips with the splash design were made by Tom Novak, not long before he closed his shop. I actually had another order for grips but he closed. I am currently looking for a grip man to make some more custom comp grips.

The magwell also came from Dave Olhasso.

Flyin40, will do. Next few weeks probably.

Edited by PB92

PB92, what are you doing to the trigger? I wouldn't mind some hints on how to make my Beretta Elite II trigger lighter than it already is.

I can't say much right now, but it will be an initial limited run comp pistols, 100-200 guns. I can say my specs call for a Brig slide and S/A frame mounted safety with a steel frame.

I thought the Brig slide wasn't coming back?

Beretta USA approached me on a gun build, I spec'd it out, and my specs called for a Brig slide. BUSA has the final word though, but remember, anything is possible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, that is a first for me to see a Beretta open gun.

Actually, it should be the second if you saw Dave Olhasso's. I believe he sold his open Beretta. So I may be the lone ranger on this one. These are lightning fast steel guns......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New photos yet?

The frame will be here in about a week. I want it done right, in no hurry actually. Been working on some other stuff.... 40 Limited Beretta. Putting some "bushings" in the Open Beretta for the trigger lateral movement, and also for the hammer to reduce lateral movement. I dont need to, but I like the gun tight.

The shiney comp is aluminum. On Beretta's you dont want too much weight hanging on the front of the barrel.

Edited by PB92

• 1 month later...

Well here is the frame coated in Cerakote Ridgeway blue. Grips are black carbon fiber, blue carbon fiber with gold Beretta inlay, and my standard blues splash grips. I'm currently doing different grips for it, the slide is out for comp reshaping, and specific internals are being plated with NP3 Plus then hand polished.... These grips are real carbon fiber, not that fake crap.....Its comin boys..........

009.jpg

007.jpg

004-1.jpg

Edited by PB92

Can't wait to see this when it's done!

Wow, why blue? just my opinion and hope I dont offend you,

My taste would be to put a futted cut on the barrel and use a compensator

they used in the movie underworld or another movie with Christian Bale. Cant remember the title

but it was bad ass!! They were doing GUN KATA!

Can't wait to see this when it's done!

Wow, why blue? just my opinion and hope I dont offend you,

My taste would be to put a futted cut on the barrel and use a compensator

they used in the movie underworld or another movie with Christian Bale. Cant remember the title

but it was bad ass!! They were doing GUN KATA!

No offence taken at all my friend. I wanted a color close to the "Beretta blue", which will really highlight the hand polished NP3 parts. I wanted it flashy and to draw attention, plus I didn't want it to look like every other open gun (not that there is anything wrong with them)....this Beretta will be going with me to Beretta USA for some talks........well, the comp on this gun is made specifically for the 92. I dont want a "movie comp" on it. This is used in open class, it's not just show. She's a working gun........

I love seeing guys who take original routes for guns. I would really like to see Beretta get more into the competition market.

Thanks Will_M Thats the plan. I talked to the custom shop who has my slide/barrel/comp for some recontouring, I'm next in line. This gun is so tight that I can't use my favorite Slide Glide on the rails, have to use Gunbutter...which is a thinner consistency. But I use SG everywhere else.........with the open top slide, the slide cycles wicked fast, its a blast to shoot......

I may have missed it, but what weight recoil spring are you using?

Hey Will, currently using an 11 lb. Factory is 13. With the tungsten guide rod the 11 is perfect. With the weight of the slide as it is it cycles just fast enough. Plus I have very light loads just for this gun, ringing steel loads. I can get by with a 10 (the slide comes back a little sharper) but no lower. I'm not looking to beat the gun, thats why I will not shoot major in it, though I could but not for very long.

I run a Heitt buffer in it also.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...