Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon clip question alert!

stipo

Moon clips for the 627-4 (38 Super) seem hard to find (other than the Hearthcos).

Where else are these available....OK, Smith. Are theirs any good?

I got the revolver but I only got 14 moonies with it, and know not much else!

Thanks, Stipo

Moon clips for the 627-4 (38 Super) seem hard to find (other than the Hearthcos).

Thanks, Stipo

Stipo, from one geezer to another, If I was going to pay $4 a pop for the moonclips I would make sure they were Hearthcos. the ones I got from Smith with the revo were not much good. Just my opinion. Later rdd

Thanks, Stipo

Try Ranch Products. They have added the 8 shot 38 Super moonclips to their line. The last moonclips I purchased from them were $74 per 100. Go to their website and call them on the phone number found on the website. You cannot order directly from the website. Great people to dela with. They also make 6x38 Super, 6 & 8 x357, 6x40 and 45 ACP moonclips.

HEY guys are those ranch product clips loose or tight like Daves. Thats the reason i use his stuff the brass just fits better. I have has success with r-p brass and federal only in the hearthcos.

I have used the Ranch Products moonclips in 8x357 with all brands of brass. Some bands are a looser fit than others. Starline brass is particularly loose and I avoid using it in moonclips. I prefer te Remington and Federal brass with moonclips but WW brass is also acceptable.

I've found that moon clips are ALL brass specific when you talk about the 38Spl stuff. I separated my brass by head stamps, and was just shooting Federal and R-P brass for a while, using the moonclips I got from Pinnacle when I had the S&W 586 cylinder cut for moon clips. They came with recommendation that Federal brass worked best and Winchester would probably not work at all. That was correct.

After a couple of years, I bought a new batch of moon clips, and found that now the Federal and R-P brass was a little "floppier" in the new clips. But these clips were still too thick [or tight] to handle the Winchester brass.

Using some gift certificates off a prize table, I bought some new Starline brass, and found that these casings were so floppy in my moon clips as to be unusable for rapid reloading. Hearthco clips worked fine with the Starline brass, but the outer diameter of these clips was marginally larger than the older clips. That prevents me from using those clips until I can open up the diameter of the machine cut in the 586 cylinder. As it is, the brass goes in, but doesn't seat fully because the outside edge of the moon clip hangs up on the rim of the depression cut to fit my original moon clips.

In summary:

Winchester has the narrowest width of the groove, and I couldn't find any moon clips that worked with this brass [which also includes a bunch of other head stamps.

Federal and R-P were one category re depth of the grooves, and their groove width is OK for all moon clips.

Starline was the loosest brand of brass, with about the same width of the groove, but greater depth than the others, which is why they are held looser. With 6 rounds in a clip, the tips of the bullets will touch, which makes it quite a job to get the clip into the revolver cylinder with the bullets flopping around.

You just have to match your brass with the moon clips.