Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Splits by class and division

Collecting A's

I like to keep track of things like splits and transition to to mark my progress along with the other skills we practice, so...

What are your splits on different targets that you can repeat and successfully hit A's 90 - 95% of the time?

It has always been a question in my head and I think everyone could learn what's possible from better shooters.

Limited

B class

10 yard open - .27

10 yard partial - .35

15 yard open - .35

15 yard partial - .50

25 yard open - .48

All those above are pretty consistent for me + or - .002

For me, the sight stops around the .35 and for to work the trigger with success it's in the .45 to 5. range.

If I slack on anything at a match it's the 10 yard partials, they can turn into .45 pretty quick playing it safe.

I like to keep track of things like splits and transition to to mark my progress along with the other skills we practice, so...

What are your splits on different targets that you can repeat and successfully hit A's 90 - 95% of the time?

It has always been a question in my head and I think everyone could learn what's possible from better shooters.

Limited

B class

10 yard open - .27

10 yard partial - .35

15 yard open - .35

15 yard partial - .50

25 yard open - .48

For me, the sight stops around the .35 and for to work the trigger with success it's in the .45 to 5. range.

If I slack on anything at a match it's the 10 yard partials, they can turn into .45 pretty quick playing it safe.

This doesn't really say much... the splits are determined by the shot, nit by the distance, though distance does have some to do with it. Are you talking wide open targets stand and blast? Shooting on the move, around a barricade etc etc. The stand and blast times are pretty useless cept for classifiers.

JT

Edited by JThompson

I think whenever you track progress you are learning and hopefully progressing. While split won't win you a match, being confident in you abilities and calling shots will.

Keep tracking your progress for all kind of shots and you transistions.

Try to get your partial and open targets at the same splits, but make sure you are calling your shots

Limited

B class

10 yard open - .27

10 yard partial - .35

15 yard open - .35

15 yard partial - .50

25 yard open - .48

***Disclaimer*** I don’t know it all, this is my opinion base on my own experience!

Two aimed shoots with two “A” hits is what you need at any giving distance at any given time. However, you cannot take forever to take two shoots, so working on gun/recoil control is what makes the most difference with your splits.

I believe anywhere around mid .30s splits at 25 with two A's is REALLY good. Once you master the .30 split at 25 yards with two aimed shoots and two A’s walk back 5 yards. The same magical .30 split should apply 30 yards as well. It is really hard, but it can be done. The tricky part is doing it on demand at the match.

DVC,

Sandro

• 1 month later...

Along this same vein: When I used to shoot with Jay Christy, I was pulling .12-.13 splits, fairly regularly, with .20 transition times, on a course such as an El Pres. Jay was doing .20 splits, with .20 transition times, and shooting the same scores. He made it up with draw time and consistent reloads. And, because of the slower splits, his hits were more consistent.

I swear, the man sounded like a metronome, because his rhythm NEVER changed thru a course of fire.

And, because of the slower splits, his hits were more consistent.

I can promise you he wasn't more consistent because of his slower splits.

I swear, the man sounded like a metronome, because his rhythm NEVER changed thru a course of fire.

That isn't necessarily a good thing. In my opinion, shooting with a cadence at all times is often an indicator of expectation more than visual awareness.