Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win 231 and 147gr JHP bullets

slavex

So I've been looking all over for data on using 147gr 9mm JHP (or TMJ) with some old 231 I've got (16lbs). I've been using Tightrgroup for years, and want to use up my 231 stock instead of having it go bad on me. I've found a few loads here and there and the guys on gunnutz managed to find some old data, but Win/Hogdon don't even list it for jacketed bullets anymore. What gives? So far I've worked up a load of 3.6 grs, shoot great, no pressure signs or anything like that. No idea on velocity yet as I haven't had a chance to chrono it.

Any of you guys have pet loads for this combo?

Dito on his load data......chrono that load and see where you are at in your gun.......It more than likely will be as accurate or better with W231 than the TG.....I would load out to at least 1.130 if your gun/mag combo will allow too....

DougC

Dito on his load data......chrono that load and see where you are at in your gun.......It more than likely will be as accurate or better with W231 than the TG.....I would load out to at least 1.130 if your gun/mag combo will allow too....

DougC

Good point, I'm currently loading out to 1.135 (using a truncated cone bullet, even longer with round nose 147gr) I do load long for this type of load.

thanks guys. I was sure I was using 3.5 prior to switching to TG, but couldn't find my old data books on those loads. Funny thing is that the setting on my Dillon powder measure for TG gives me the 3.6gr of 231 that I wanted. that's handy! Since I am using a Stock II, I can load fairly long, and intend to do just that.

So I've been looking all over for data on using 147gr 9mm JHP (or TMJ) with some old 231 I've got (16lbs). I've been using Tightrgroup for years, and want to use up my 231 stock instead of having it go bad on me. I've found a few loads here and there and the guys on gunnutz managed to find some old data, but Win/Hogdon don't even list it for jacketed bullets anymore. What gives? So far I've worked up a load of 3.6 grs, shoot great, no pressure signs or anything like that. No idea on velocity yet as I haven't had a chance to chrono it.

Any of you guys have pet loads for this combo?

I have never seen factory data for W-231 with 147 gr. jacketed bullets. For lead 147 gr. bullets the factory maximum was 3.5 gr. W-231.

• 3 weeks later...
I have never seen factory data for W-231 with 147 gr. jacketed bullets. For lead 147 gr. bullets the factory maximum was 3.5 gr. W-231.

I used to have a Winchester pamphlet that listed 231 with 147's (but can't find it since the last time I moved).

I'm loading 3.8 with a Zero 147 which gives around 950 +/- in various pistol-length barrels. I was hoping to get about 100 fps more, but I'm not sure where this powder maxes out for that barrel length.

• 5 years later...