Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Queston for all you Solo 1000 shooters

98sr20ve

I like the powder a lot with all my 147gr 9mm loads. I am a little tired of the Moly Coated bullets so I tried a batch of Precision Delta 147gr with the Solo 1000 and Titegroup. Surprise surprise the Solo had less smoke even with the jacketed bullets. A noticable amount less the titegroup. I make 130+ pf with both powders easily with 147’s. Same can not be said if I try and make PF with the 115gr bullets and Solo 1000. I max out in the 1000fps range and the load data I have. I don't really care about the 115gr bullets as I will probably never buy any more of those. But I can see me fiddling with 124gr to save money and just try different things. I don't know how Solo 1000 works with that bullet weight. I like the bulk of Solo 1000 as well. Does it work OK with the 124's? Is it still accurate with that bullet?

I just placed an order for some Solo 1000 after reading a lot of positive reviews on it here. I'm replacing n320 as the Solo is much cheaper and readily available. I plan on using it with 124 gr moly bullets.

I somewhat recently loaded 500 rounds of 124 gr plated Rainiers with S1000. Appears accurate enough offhand, though I have not benched it.

4.5 gr of Solo1000, 124 gr Rainier, 1.140"OAL.

4" barrel, mixed cases, Wolf SP primers

15-shot avg

1035 fps (sd=11),

PF avg = 128 (Low PF 127- High 130)

Edited by ben b.

I love it for 147's, I loaded a bunch of 124's very accurate, just couldn't chrono them I couldn't make minor with solo, so I had to switch to unique for 115's but I wouldn't use 115's as a habit I just tried them.

I just placed an order for some Solo 1000 after reading a lot of positive reviews on it here. I'm replacing n320 as the Solo is much cheaper and readily available. I plan on using it with 124 gr moly bullets.

Thats over book by a good amount. Any pressure signs?

Thats over book by a good amount. Any pressure signs?

I haven't gotten them yet, 240.

I'll report back when I do and get out there.

Solo 1000 is the new shizzle for powder.

I use 4.2 grains under a MG 124 JHP(1.120") for 130pf out of my Glock 34 with KKM barrel. It did 132 pf in the stock barrel.

I use 4.5 grains under a 180 MG JHP(1.190") .40 for 170pf out of my Schueman barrel

I use 4.3 grains under a Precision 185 RFP(1.190") .40 for 169 pf out of same Schuemann barrel

Solo has very little smoke with the Precisions. A thin white smoke about like shooting jacketed bullets. It smokes about as much as N320 at way less cost.

Solo 1000 also provides a good feel and a great sight track at a very low cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Todd, I tried your load data for the precisions and it does feel pretty good, I was wondereing if Solo worked for jacketed bullets, I'm gonna give it a shot with Montana Gold 180s.. You seen any pressure signs with this?

Todd, I tried your load data for the precisions and it does feel pretty good, I was wondereing if Solo worked for jacketed bullets, I'm gonna give it a shot with Montana Gold 180s.. You seen any pressure signs with this?

No pressure signs at all.

:roflol: That made me laugh, thanks! Actually Solo 1000 is an old Scot powder. Ya know... "Back your best shot with Scot".

So old they don't even list handgun data for it any longer on their website. Kinda funny in a way.

• 2 weeks later...

went out and chrono'ed today overcast 31 deg

40 cal 180 grain round nose black bullets international

4.5 grains solo 1000

glock 35

1.151 OAL

1045 avg power factor 188

147 gr 9mm precision

3.5 grains solo 1000 OAL 1.094

glock 17

970 Average 143 Power Factor

I guess i need to adjust them both down.

I think most want about 5 points or a 170 pf for major and a 130 pf for minor. There are those who consider about 3 points sufficient. It also depends on what powder as some are more sensitive to temperature changes than others. A cold day (or a hot day for reverse temp sensitivity) may send you to minor - or worse - to the house with no score if you are shooting in a division scored as minor to start with.

When you get your grip down properly you will find that the time of recoil recovery in a 5 or 8 point PF difference is negligible...

I try for about ~170 for major and about 140 for minor.

Just my .02 opinion... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I use 4.2 grains under a MG 124 JHP(1.120") for 130pf out of my Glock 34 with KKM barrel. It did 132 pf in the stock barrel.

I got 132 PF today, with exactly the same recipe and gun.

Tried the stuff out.

4.1 gr with a 124 gr moly out of a 5" STI bbl got me just around 129 PF.

I do think it's a touch smokier than N320 but not enough compared to the difference in cost.

This is my new powder for moly bullets.

No pressure signs with WSP primers.

Edited by al503

Man... I should have hit Accurate Arms and Precision up for a retainer before I played around with that stuff and moly bullets. Hell, I should have mentioned it to Hodgdon and VV to see how much they would have paid me to stay away from the keyboard.

Ah, well. I stole it all from Carlos anyway...

:roflol:

Its all good bro

BTW - me & Jeff are back in business running a new indoor USPSA at Silver Eagle Group here in VA (Ashburn VA actually). Hope you can check it out when you are back in town.

d :cheers:

Man... I should have hit Accurate Arms and Precision up for a retainer before I played around with that stuff and moly bullets. Hell, I should have mentioned it to Hodgdon and VV to see how much they would have paid me to stay away from the keyboard.

Ah, well. I stole it all from Carlos anyway...

Ain't that the truth. The other thread is alive again as well.

Hey guys, lots of good info here. I just tried some S1000, 125 zero JSP, 1.130 nailed my target of 130pf. Question I have is, how temperature sensitive is this powder. I'm in Texas, and it was 65 degrees yesterday, but I'm worried when the temp goes above 100 if the load will hold.

Thanks