Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bridgeport Lubrication

CSEMARTIN

Hello: My mill has grease fittings that my dad added oh, 40 years ago or so and it is still working great. I think proper lubing with keep the machine running for years. Sounds kinda dirty but it is true. There are some wonderful greases and oils out there now that should do the job. Thanks, Eric

Did you already put the thing together in the basement? You could have put a one shot system on it while you were assembling it. I think you have to take it apart for most if not all of the systems.

No, it's still in pieces. I had a feeling it would be easier to install a lubrication system if I hadn't put it together yet.

Right now, as it sits, I have oil cups X 2 on the head, 5 grease fittings on the saddle and 2 on the knee.

A couple hundred bucks and messy doesn't bother me. What I saw when I took the machine apart does bother me. The old grease I cleaned out has fine metal shavings in it. That really bugs me.

When I'm working with something really tight, I want the best lubrication possible.

You want the use Way Oil on the table, grease will be too heavy and make it hard to move. There are different oils for the fittings and cups in the head. You should find a manuel for your machine, it will tell you what kind of oil and how much in each cup/fitting. My Sharpe has a metal plaque on the head with oiling instructions. A one shot system for the table is nice, just pump the handle and your ready to go. Its total loss system, the thing drips all the time from the table and head. If you want the machine to remain spotless don't plan on using it :D

If you want to buy the Bijur you can probably pull the grease fittings and replace them with small hose couplers and run tubes to them. Most brands of machine oils are similar but I like Mobil. Vactra #2 way oil on the ways and Velocite #10 spindle oil in the head.

There is also a grease port on the left side of the head with a pipe plug. It takes a special tube of grease that screws into the hole.

You can call Bridgeport about that. They were bought by Hardinge a while back. You can Google to find them.

Hello: It is a cutting machine you are going to get metal shavings if you are cutting metal :roflol: If you want to keep it clean don't use it :roflol: I am just kidding as you can tell. These old machines were used in there day and most were not very well taken care of. Most shops today put a life on there machines and say they will last only a couple of years then they have paid for themselves and time to get a new one. If you also notice that the new machines are not built as strong as the old ones were. HSSMITH can tell you that there is whole industry rebuilding old machinery. Whether you use oil or grease just remember to lubricate it and you will be fine. Some of the old machines had fittings that look like grease fiitings but where actually oil fitting. The oil gun looks something like a grease gun with just a rod you pushed on the end. They even have a leather seal to push the oil out. I will see if I can find one from my dad's old shop. Thanks, Eric

Most of the chips in the grease is from lazy bastidges cleaning the machine off with an air hose. BAD for the machine and patently stupid. Use paintbrushes for cleaning the machine and the air hose for blowing off the parts.

There is also a grease port on the left side of the head with a pipe plug. It takes a special tube of grease that screws into the hole.

You can call Bridgeport about that. They were bought by Hardinge a while back. You can Google to find them.

I've done some more research on this. I believe the grease port you are referring to is on pre-1970 machines. I can't find this port in the manual I bought from Hardinge, but I did find it in a manual I downloaded for free off the internet. I don't see one on my machine.

Where do you guys buy your oils?

I get most of my supplies from MSC (mscdirect.com), McMaster-Carr, or Enco (use-enco.com). Enco was bought by MSC a few years ago.

There are different kinds of lubrication ports. Grease fittings, or zerks, require a grease gun. Oil will leak out of a grease gun and make a

big mess, so you can only use grease in those. There is a kind of oil or grease fitting that's a spring loaded ball in the middle of a brass

circle. The whole thing is usually about a 1/4 inch in diameter. Those use a grease gun or oiler that comes down to a point on the end so

it pushes the ball in and the grease goes around the ball. That is a straight push, in-line type dispenser. Then there is the oil cup with a spring

loaded lid that is filled with a pump oil can. I hope this description is good enough to be of some help.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a kind of oil or grease fitting that's a spring loaded ball in the middle of a brass

circle.

Thanks Toolguy. I found a supplier for a device that will dispense oil through a grease fitting. It's made in Germany, and it looks like it should work well.

I have decided that I will never use grease on a Bridgeport. It makes a horrible F*&cking mess. Over time, it looks like it turns into 20 grit lapping compound. All those metal chips get caught in the grease in places you don't want them. I'll bet (at least on the machine I just bought) that this is from some idiot using an air compressor instead of a shop vac to get the chips off the work piece.