Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sinus Infections

Paul Burtchell

I just got over a sinus infection that I had for nearly a month. I've maybe had one good week and BOOM I'm getting another one. :angry2:

I went through this same thing about 4 years ago. I basically had a constant sinus infection for over 4 months. I finally was scheduled with an ENT Surgeon who was going to "Roto Root" my sinus cavities. :sick: I asked them to give me another round of steroids first and it worked so I elected not to have the surgery. Looks like now I probably should have had it done........

I'm in that "Sick & tired of being sick and tired" mode. It's 4:30am I woke up feeling like crap, so I thought I would just vent a little. Maybe I just need a little cheese to go with my Whine :roflol:

Edited by baerburtchell

Baer, a couple of "home remedies" you might try -

they won't hurt, and might help.

1. try gargling with 40% (80 proof) booze

(your favorite) at night before going to bed,

swish it around your mouth real well, and

slowly swallow it - helps kill any microbes

in your mouth / throat that might cause the

sinus problems

2. beef up on your Vitamin C (1,000 grams/day)

and beta carotene, take a B-complex 50 mg

pill (50 mg of each b-vitamin) and take 400

units of Vitamin E a day - helps with your

immune system.

Cheap, can't hurt (may not help), but, with enough

of the booze, you may care a little less:))

This is not a joke - I used to suffer from URI myself

all the time - just get over one bout and I'd start in

on another - went to allergists (another idea to try

if 1 & 2 don't work) - and took an awful lot of antibiotics

trying to keep the infections down.

In the past year or so, I gargle after dinnner, at bedtime

and when I wake up in the morning - small amount of

booze, but it seems to keep the throat more sterile,

and I get a lot fewer infections - hope it helps.

Baer, a couple of "home remedies" you might try -

they won't hurt, and might help.

1. try gargling with 40% (80 proof) booze

(your favorite) at night before going to bed,

swish it around your mouth real well, and

slowly swallow it - helps kill any microbes

in your mouth / throat that might cause the

sinus problems

2. beef up on your Vitamin C (1,000 grams/day)

and beta carotene, take a B-complex 50 mg

pill (50 mg of each b-vitamin) and take 400

units of Vitamin E a day - helps with your

immune system.

Cheap, can't hurt (may not help), but, with enough

of the booze, you may care a little less:))

This is not a joke - I used to suffer from URI myself

all the time - just get over one bout and I'd start in

on another - went to allergists (another idea to try

if 1 & 2 don't work) - and took an awful lot of antibiotics

trying to keep the infections down.

In the past year or so, I gargle after dinnner, at bedtime

and when I wake up in the morning - small amount of

booze, but it seems to keep the throat more sterile,

and I get a lot fewer infections - hope it helps.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a bottle of Crown Royal :roflol: Hey, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

i'm right there with you this year. I've had two sinus infections since nationals. Try a neti pot or something similar....I actually just use a measuring cup. You use warm salt water to flush out your sinuses.

The saline formula they use is a bit heavy for me. I use 1/4 teaspoon per cup of water. I'll nuke a bit of salt water and take it with me into the shower. Winter for me is always a challenge because of the heater running in the house. When the humidity drops, I'll rinse my sinuses more.

BTW, gargling with cider vinegar does the same thing...it just doesn't taste as good or have the same side effect! :roflol:

Try a neti pot or something similar....I actually just use a measuring cup. You use warm salt water to flush out your sinuses.

The saline formula they use is a bit heavy for me. I use 1/4 teaspoon per cup of water.

+1 My mother uses this solution.

I used to have several sinus infections a year until my GP recommended using Ocean Spray (Saline Nasal Mist). I keep a bottle everywhere. Desk at work, car, range bags, bedside table, recliner.

Ocean Spray is pretty expensive however, Sams has 2 pack of generic stuff that works well for $ 3-4.

I was suffering with repeat sinus infections until a guy in the office turned me on to the nasal saline rinse deal. Went to the drug store and bought a NeilMed sinus rinse kit and it's the bomb. I keep a couple of jugs of distilled water around, fill up the bottle, nuke it for 15s and then mix the powder from the kit in it....works wonders!

Thanks for all the info. I used the nasal rinse last night prior to bedtime and slept much better. :cheers: I used it again this morning prior to heading off to work.

I'm headed to and old nearby country grocery store and picking up a jar of locally made bee honey and then headed to the liquor store for a bottle of Crown. I'm going to try the shotgun approach. "If a little is good, more is certainly better". :roflol:

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving Day!

Edited by baerburtchell

This may not work for everyone, but I have suffered from sinus problems my whole life. Every morning one side is plugged, sneezing, dripping. Some times worse.

Then I got a cold and tried the ZiCam cold remedy, the gooey stuff you put up your nose with the pump bottle. It worked great but it had an even better side effect.

I noticed that the cold did go away fast but also my sinus problem had vanished. So now I've been using it every night and for first time in my life I don't have sinus problems. Can breath through both sides all night and every day. Haven't had cold since. Doctor says it is just a Zinc solution that changes the PH in your sinus and you can use it all you want.

The usual allergys from pollen have even mostly disappeared.

Try it for a week and see.

Paul, sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly, it especially sucks during the holidays.

As for a remedy, a lot of the above looks promising. I haven't experienced it myself but I'm told that if you get hit in the face with pepper spray, EVERYTHING in your sinus cavity will be ejected. You'll have the clearest head in town. :wacko:

Paul, sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly, it especially sucks during the holidays.

As for a remedy, a lot of the above looks promising. I haven't experienced it myself but I'm told that if you get hit in the face with pepper spray, EVERYTHING in your sinus cavity will be ejected. You'll have the clearest head in town. :wacko:

Hey, I've got one of those Kimber pepper sprays devices. I might just try it :roflol:

Dear God, yes, that's true! It's like a faucet has turned on in your sinus cavities... :surprise:

• 4 months later...

Dear God, yes, that's true! It's like a faucet has turned on in your sinus cavities... :surprise:

I'm down, but not out, with the first full-blown sinus infection I've had in a while....actually since starting to use the sinus rinse at the first sign of something wrong.

Ugh, I remember how much I HATE these :angry2:

I'm down, but not out, with the first full-blown sinus infection I've had in a while....actually since starting to use the sinus rinse at the first sign of something wrong.

Ugh, I remember how much I HATE these :angry2:

Got Pepper Spray? :P

Seriously, a buddy of mine (not Paul) just had his second operation to clear out the infection. This time they had to go in surgically through the mouth to get behind the bend in the sinus cavity. OMG.

Sorry to hear that your not feeling well Bart. Hope you feel better quickly.

I had my adenoids & tonsils removed when I was 6. Definitely helped in reducing sore throats, but still have had the sinus infection stuff all my life.

I had allergy test performed and found out I'm alllergic to just about everything :roflol: Thats how mine starts(with allergies) and then my narrow sinus passages can't handle all the "gunk". It backs up and gets infected.

I'm Just trying to make my mind up if I want to go in every week for an allergy shot cocktail. Kinda of pain to schedule that in every week.

Edited by baerburtchell

Sorry to hear that your not feeling well Bart. Hope you feel better quickly.

I had my adenoids & tonsils removed when I was 6. Definitely helped in reducing sore throats, but still have had the sinus infection stuff all my life.

I had allergy test performed and found out I'm alllergic to just about everything :roflol: Thats how mine starts(with allergies) and then my narrow sinus passages can't handle all the "gunk". It backs up and gets infected.

I'm Just trying to make my mind up if I want to go in every week for an allergy shot cocktail. Kinda of pain to schedule that in every week.

Thanks....yep, I'm pretty sure it's allergies that get mine started as well. I try to do the daily rinse and that prevents it most of the time, but I do get lazy and/or forget...which is what probably got me this time.

Yiks...a shot a week would be annoying to have to schedule. I'm not a big fan of surgery but I'm still considering getting the sinus Roto-Rooter done.....everyone I know that's had it done said it was more than worth it, if a bit unpleasant recovery wise. R,