Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Match Today

saibot

Well I finally was able to make it to a match today. It was my first match and I wasn't really sure if I was ready because I'm such a newb; not just to the sport but I really don't have much experience with shooting in general. But the people were extremely friendly and helpful and paired me up with a guy whole really stuck with me all day and made sure I understood everything and didn't DQ myself.

It was a blast!!! I was definitely nervous but I was having too much fun to really notice. It was really different than I had imagined it would be. Prior to this I had really only shot at static targets. I did go through an IPSC class but there wasn’t really any stress like there is in a match. It was very surreal. It was kind of like looking through a keyhole once the timer sounded. I don’t remember how I was holding the gun, my stance, my breathing, trying to walk smoothly, any of the things I try to refine at the range, just the sights at the center of the keyhole. Is that strange or what? The stress made it a totally different experience.

But much to my surprise I shot better than I ever did while group shooting. (except that darn Texas star). I hit mostly alphas and got 2nd place for something or other. Gotta love beginner’s luck!

So anyway, I thought I’d share my experience and also thank everyone in the forum for answering all of my questions and all the good advice. I’ve never seen a sport with a nicer community!

You are now hooked on a new drug called USPSA. Resistance is futile. Sure, somebody once tried to develop a 12-step program for it, but we kicked the stuffin's out of him before he could complete his fool's errand.

Welcome!

Welcome! I'm still a newbie myself... got into the sport just a few months ago to 'appease' my hubby so we could shoot together. However, 1 ladies camp and 7 local matches later, I'm HOOKED! Not to mention all the time I now spend on Enos instead of working... ;) Hope your experience is as great as mine is. Here's to a long and exciting shooting journey! :cheers:

Hahahha! I know, I'm already getting OCD on this! :)

OpenShooterGirl, I'd love to get my wife in a match but she doesn't seem too interested. What got you interested initially?

Thanks for all the good info...you crack dealers ;)

OpenShooterGirl, I'd love to get my wife in a match but she doesn't seem too interested. What got you interested initially?

I started out going to the matches and playing 'paparazzi' for the husband. Lots of folks on here will tell you that one of the best ways to improve your skills is to film yourself at the match and watch it later. You'll learn what to focus your training on (and it can be great for laughs down the road!)

Anyway, after a few matches as a spectator, and getting lots of "why aren't you doing this" from other shooters, I figured 'What the heck, why not?'. My hubby set up some targets on our farm for me to practice before the first match and the rest is history... I've got a LONG way to go in terms of improvement and haven't even gotten classified yet, but I am having a blast! And it sure beats sitting on the sidelines watching while everyone else is out there having all the fun!

Perhaps if your wife comes along to some of the matches and sees the same thing I did, she will catch the fever too... Good Luck! :D

I started out going to the matches and playing 'paparazzi' for the husband. Lots of folks on here will tell you that one of the best ways to improve your skills is to film yourself at the match and watch it later. You'll learn what to focus your training on (and it can be great for laughs down the road!)

Anyway, after a few matches as a spectator, and getting lots of "why aren't you doing this" from other shooters, I figured 'What the heck, why not?'. My hubby set up some targets on our farm for me to practice before the first match and the rest is history... I've got a LONG way to go in terms of improvement and haven't even gotten classified yet, but I am having a blast! And it sure beats sitting on the sidelines watching while everyone else is out there having all the fun!

Perhaps if your wife comes along to some of the matches and sees the same thing I did, she will catch the fever too... Good Luck! :D

I might have to try this on my wife when I start shooting next year....Thanks for the info!

Edited by mjohns930

Well I finally was able to make it to a match today. It was my first match and I wasn't really sure if I was ready because I'm such a newb; not just to the sport but I really don't have much experience with shooting in general. But the people were extremely friendly and helpful and paired me up with a guy whole really stuck with me all day and made sure I understood everything and didn't DQ myself.

It was a blast!!! I was definitely nervous but I was having too much fun to really notice. It was really different than I had imagined it would be. Prior to this I had really only shot at static targets. I did go through an IPSC class but there wasn’t really any stress like there is in a match. It was very surreal. It was kind of like looking through a keyhole once the timer sounded. I don’t remember how I was holding the gun, my stance, my breathing, trying to walk smoothly, any of the things I try to refine at the range, just the sights at the center of the keyhole. Is that strange or what? The stress made it a totally different experience.

But much to my surprise I shot better than I ever did while group shooting. (except that darn Texas star). I hit mostly alphas and got 2nd place for something or other. Gotta love beginner’s luck!

So anyway, I thought I’d share my experience and also thank everyone in the forum for answering all of my questions and all the good advice. I’ve never seen a sport with a nicer community!

Great reading this. I started about 2 years ago and even though the "keyhole" isnt much bigger I look forward to every match. Thanks for sharing.

LP