Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I've Got A Fixed Sight!

ErikW

I got my slide back from EGW today. They welded up the Bo-Mar cut and installed a Novak's fixed sight and a taller front sight. They also fixed my recoil plug tunnel and reblued it all. Very nice. Not cheap.

You gotta love this sight: it's one piece with a set screw. And if that breaks, I'm still in business.

I'm going to put it together right now and sight it in.

If you break a Novak sight then it is time to fix your gun. ;)

BTW, I shoot with a Heinie, but I really like the Novak for some reason. Good clean sight picture (We have one on the G17). I (almost) always shoot well with it

The crew at Novak's pretty much started my home club, Rayner's Range. They seem to have given up shooting matches though. :( Joe Bonar shoots on the move rather well.

Woo Hoo !!!

[RogerDaltreyVoice]I'm free ... free from the tyranny of adjustable sights

I had a little trouble in that it wouldn't go back together right. The firing pin wouldn't spring back through the hole in the firing pin stop. I guess the blueing was a little thick there in the slide and didn't allow the stop to go all the way. I stoned it (the stop, not the slide; I didn't just fall off the truck) and finally got it all working.

I loaded only 5 rounds in the first few mags just in case the pin stuck and it went full auto, but no trouble.

I chased the windage all over the place until I finally nailed it. From 45 yards, resting the magazine on a sandbag, I made sure the windage was right in the sight picture and ignored the elevation. Got a nice 3" wide column of holes down the center of the target.

I filed and filed the front sight to get the elevation close. I'm going to have a machinist take off .005" or .010" to get it flat.

At first the rear notch seemed too big but that's because the rear sight isn't as wide as a barn door. Out on the range, it's perfect. :wub:

Now all I need is a fixed sight solution for my hard-chromed Bo-Mar cut in my other Limited gun. :huh:

Uh-oh, bad news from the range today. I can't shoot fast with this thing's sight picture. I fling shots way to the right. The way the Novak is carry-shaped, there's sunlight on the curved outsides, and dark around the inside (around the notch). It becomes a two-tone rear sight, with the busy-ness of three-dot or white outline sights. I lose the front sight when shooting fast.

Next up: Heinie.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have a Heinie SlantPro on there now. I liked it sighting it in long range slowfire, I liked it hosing up close, I liked it when I won the first match I shot with it.

I don't notice the extra-deep serrations on the blade, nor its forward slant. The notch seems wider than its advertised .125". This is actually a good thing, as EGW put a wider front sight on my slide. I've got the best of both worlds: a very visible front with a lot of daylight around it.

I got lucky after filing down the front sight to get the elevation right for the Novak; the Heinie rear sight is only .002" higher.

Unless I can improve the B gun's trigger, I'm shooting this gun at the nationals.

• 2 months later...

I still don't understand all this SMACK about BoMar sights breaking.

Fixed sights:

1. Drift it to the right

2. Drift it back to the left

3. Drift it more to the left

4. Too far left, back to the right

5. Ahhh, Damn, close enough...

A. File on the front sight

B. Don't take too much off it

C. Careful now, careful now

D. Make the top leveeeeellllll

E. Make the top levelllll,

F Ahhh, Damn, close enough

G. Take it to a machinist, errr, pistolsmith

I now want to shoot some 185 gr stuff at steel, repeat steps 1 thru 5 and A thru G.

I now want to shoot some 200 gr stuff for IDPA, repeat steps 1 thru and A thru G.

I now want to shoot some 230 gr stuff for Bullseye, 1 thru 5 and A thru G.

Get a BoMar, replace the pin, go forth and conquer, the rest is BS

PS Eric, hope your new fixed sight holds up...

rhino, thank you very much! I got so excited I had to take a cold shower.

TL, you don't have to understand it. Just accept that different people have different results. BTW, your "replace the pin" solution doesn't prevent the elevation screw from breaking, launching the springs into the gravel, and flipping the top leaf.

P.S. Update on the fixed Heinie... sight picture is fine, notch size is fine, all is well.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, no digital camera now or in the near future, unless I can borrow one again. I will say the Heinie for the Novak cut looks a lot like a regular Heinie. It doesn't look particularly attractive nor ugly, if you are concerned about cosmetics.