Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has a SureFire suppressor

HSMITH

I want a suppressor, and going by the propaganda I can find it seems like SureFire makes a VERY good one. Anyone have experience with them?

EDIT: DUH, for an AR type rifle in 223/5.56.

Edited by HSMITH

The surefire stuff is top notch, but I am of the opinion that there are better values out there (AAC M4-1000, M4-2000 (AKA 416-SD), SPR/M4)

www.silencertalk.com

www.silencerresearch.com

Silencer Research just posted a 5.56 silencer shoot out. It's $30 for the premium reviews, but $30 could save you more if you were to get one that wasn't good enough for you.

FWIW, the AAC SPR/M4 is more quiet. I have the M4-1000, which was only $600 and it's been great.

From AAC's testing (Indoor, not mil-spec, but still representative of the sound differences between the models):

aac_soundtesting_070708_results.jpg

http://www.aacblog.com/?p=482

ETA:

Pictures and Videos:

Anyway, here is a short video of a 10/22 + Pilot, STI 2011 + Evo 9 and my AR + M4-1000...

(Click the pictures for the videos, The first one is the largest at 13MB or so)

thumb.jpg

A few shots from my M4-1000, where the case hits the camera:

thumb.jpg

Also, My suppressed STI I built:

thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris Martin

I have one for My 16" 308 dpms rifle and it is great! I cna shoot the darn thing without ears. The sonic crack of the 308 is about like a 10-22...now I also got an adaptor to use the 308 can on my .223. In side by side testing we couldn't tell any difference between a Gemtech dedicated .223 suppressor and the 308 Sure-Fire on the .223. Now it should be a bit louder as the hole in the end is a bit bigger .33 rather than .25, but we sure couldn't tell a difference. I would agree that there are, more economical suppressors out there, BUT I went with weight. Outside of Shark and Jet the Sure-Fire was the lightest by a whole bunch! It is onjly 2 oz. hevier than an all titanium Jet. Also the quick on off feature so I can switch between rifles is priceless AND, like the add says NO point of impact shift! I like them! KurtM

BTW That mag is BEAUTIFUL Howard! well worth the wait! I am going to function it tomorrow. I can only get 21 in it for now, but after the spring gets some use I bet it will hold 22 it is close right now! Thanks amigo!!! KurtM

Thanks guys. The main reason I am looking at the Surefire is the quick attach/detach and light weight without point of impact shift, they also make a good case for durability being very good. I will look at some of the new info I have gotten and see what shakes out.

You are welcome Kurt!

Take a hard look at the AAC M4-2000. It's QD, only .25oz heavier that the surefires, full inconel inside (baffels and inner core, outer core is steel, both the inconel and the stainless are of higher grade than the surefire cans, that said I doubt any of us could wear out the SF, much less the M42K's), fully welded, cheaper, minimal POI and quieter too.

wrt POI shift, it has a lot to do with the barrels too. If you hang any dead weight at the end of a barrel it can shift POI, change the barrel harmonics, etc.

The BEST silencer for that is the SPR/M4 because it has 5 adjustable start points so you can tune the can to your barrel and get it just right.

All that does me no good though, since I got mine, I NEVER shoot without it :)

Take a hard look at the AAC M4-2000. It's QD, only .25oz heavier that the surefires, full inconel inside (baffels and inner core, outer core is steel, both the inconel and the stainless are of higher grade than the surefire cans, that said I doubt any of us could wear out the SF, much less the M42K's), fully welded, cheaper, minimal POI and quieter too.

wrt POI shift, it has a lot to do with the barrels too. If you hang any dead weight at the end of a barrel it can shift POI, change the barrel harmonics, etc.

The BEST silencer for that is the SPR/M4 because it has 5 adjustable start points so you can tune the can to your barrel and get it just right.

All that does me no good though, since I got mine, I NEVER shoot without it :)

That STI is real cool :cheers:

A suppressor on .223 is still pretty loud. As above the crack is like an unsuppressed .22lr. At this link http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/can/ in the videos you can hear the difference between an AAC M4 1000 08 and my Form 1 9mm upper (subsonic).

To help you judge the sound the bullet is impacting a 9X9X.75 steel plate (at 50 yds in the first two videos) the misses you can here ricocheting through the tree branches. The last one best revels how much the sonic crack is the limitation as you can here it running down our 300 yd range then the bullet impact.

Edited by jmorris

A suppressor on .223 is still pretty loud. As above the crack is like an unsuppressed .22lr. At this link http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/can/ in the videos you can hear the difference between an AAC M4 1000 08 and my Form 1 9mm upper (subsonic).

To help you judge the sound the bullet is impacting a 9X9X.75 steel plate (at 50 yds in the first two videos) the misses you can here ricocheting through the tree branches. The last one best revels how much the sonic crack is the limitation as you can here it running down our 300 yd range then the bullet impact.

A suppressor with ANY supersonic ammo is going to have that effect. The sound is the bullet breaking the sound barrier as it travels down range. The only way to eliminate that is to never break it. Subsonic .223 rounds will not cycle the action on an AR. I would not call it "pretty loud", my braked 7WSM is pretty loud. A .223 or .308 shooting supersonic ammo is still quite pleasant to shoot without hearing protection, and it has a LOT less recoil than without the can.

I've got 4 different .223 cans and a few other calibers as well. I have a John's Guns thread on can which is a boat anchor and doesn't suppress all that well. It was the first can I bought and then realized I better do my research before I buy another. Next purchase was an AAC SCAR SD. Very small and it is QD. Weights just a tad under 17 ounces and has no zero shift on two guns I use it on. A 10.5 and a 16". My next purchase was the Surefire 556k. It is 16 ounces and is QD as well. The AAC and Surefire both suppress the same to the naked ear. They are very hearing safe. I've shot as much as 150 rounds in a day without hearing protection and no ringing. The AAC is definitely a more durable can as better materials are used and it is fully welded....not just spot welded like the Surefire. I like my Surefire because of the mount. I use it on an 18" SPR configuration because of the muzzle brake QD mount it attaches to. I really like the Surefire QD muzzle brake when not using the can. It is extremely effective. If AAC had a QD brake like Surefire.....it would purely be the catz azz. The newest can I have is the AAC SPR. Its a bigger can and it suppresses awesome. Much quieter than the SCAR and K model Surefire. Action blowback is also non existent. One thing you get alot of from the SCAR and K model.It has the new Miter system which allows you to index the can onto the same position on the barrel for minimal zero shift of which I can only start to see at 300 yards. My favorite can is the AAC SCAR SD. Its very short,very durable,lightweight and suppresses well. I have heard through the grapevine from the boys here at AAC that the muzzle brake QD is in the works as they have it now for the 338 can. I also have an AAC 762 SD(30 cal),an Evolution 9,and a pilot .22. They are all very cool.

I prefer AAC to other brands based on the experiences I have had with them.

I have a John's Guns thread on can which is a boat anchor and doesn't suppress all that well.

I'm going to take offence if you are talking about my can, It's a big mofo but loud it is not (relatively).

What are the external dimensions of your can? The weight? How many decibels of noise reduction does it offer? First round pop? How many and what type of baffles?

I have a John's Guns thread on can which is a boat anchor and doesn't suppress all that well.

I’m going to take offence if you are talking about my can, It’s a big mofo but loud it is not (relatively).

Well....if you are talking about the 24 ounce can with the hex in the end cap and a medium gray color about 6" in length that says John's Guns in Voss,TX model number M16 5.56.....then yes.....I am. And yes.....it is much louder than my AAC or Surefire.

I'm sorry if I offend you.