Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Try a search buddy"

Bigpops

The hate list?? I do not have much that falls into that category…but one thing chaps my butt regarding website forums!

I see it every day. A newbie, a seasoned pro in a hurry, or someone that wants a quick answer fires off a question in the forums only to be met with “TRY A SEARCH BUDDY” or “this has been discussed a million times”.

Are these forums not designed to be informative?....to create open communication amongst users with the same interest?

If not, perhaps you should lock everyone else out…all of you that have discussed this “for the millionth time” can have your private group. The rest of us will just bore each other with repetitive questions.

Nothing turns people away like a bad attitude. As we all know a lot of meaning and interpretation is lost with the written word.

On that note…I will perform a search on molded hearing protection. Like a good boy! :cheers:

“this has been discussed a million times”.

Nothing turns people away like a bad attitude.

I hate to see this one, too. There are many things that HAVE..but everyone is new at least once ;)

The ability to post any question and have someone respond with an answer is a REALLY cool thing (think pre-internet here)...and is the basis for the bulletin board/forum design and success. The "search" ability is the lessor known feature of the forums. Also the results returned can be overwhelming esp. for the "non-database types" out there with great "search-fu". Also, the search button usually gets no special attention in the user interface...

The search tool has provided me tons of knowledge in the last week or so, as I have been deciding on an AR build for 3 Gun. I wondered,"What trigger AR" 8 pages of results - wow that's a lot...Type in "AR" - 36 pages!!

So there must be some of both...my $0.02...too much coffee~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I understand that particular bit of hate --- especially when that's the totality of the response.....

I've been known to occasionally write that, though usually not all by itself --- and in large part that is because there's a ton of valuable information on this board, some by members who've long left us, that can only be unearthed by a search.....

So --- sometimes, we (mods and other longtime members) actually use that phrase in an effort to be helpful, especially when we're time challenged ourselves....

I understand that particular bit of hate --- especially when that's the totality of the response.....

I've been known to occasionally write that, though usually not all by itself --- and in large part that is because there's a ton of valuable information on this board, some by members who've long left us, that can only be unearthed by a search.....

So --- sometimes, we (mods and other longtime members) actually use that phrase in an effort to be helpful, especially when we're time challenged ourselves....

What Nik said. Often the longtime members get tired of posting the same answer for the 37th time, and there are plenty of very knowledgeable types that have been and gone. It's not too likely TGO or Brian is going to answer shooting questions these days, but they did at one point, and those posts are (mostly) still here.

I hate rebuttals, and discussion, in the hate forum. :rolleyes:

I hate that I am one of the "do a search" posters. Searching takes a minute or two, and almost always turns up answers right away. It's great that some posters have lots of time to wait around, in the hope that someone will eventually answer a question. I hate that the value of my time, is so unequal with theirs.