Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawn Of The Dead

Yeah they knew how to make zombie movies back in the eighties. Of course the remake of John Romero's Night of the Living Dead is also very cool. I don't know what it is about zombie stuff, but I like the movies, the games (Resident Evil etc.)...

I saw 28 days later for the second time a couple of days ago. It is a pretty cool movie, but it just lacks something essential that the older zombie movies still have.

I must admit that (despite the fact that I was born in 1978) I think the movies they made "back in the days" without the fancy special effects, are often better than all the hi tech stuff they put out now.

Jeez, I'm rambling like an old fart ;) Better stop now

I saw 28 days later for the second time a couple of days ago. It is a pretty cool movie, but it just lacks something essential that the older zombie movies still have.

The thing it lacked for me is that the uninfected people were so helpless because they were essentially unarmed. Those Brits will rue the day they outlawed guns when the spikey haired mutant cannibal zombies start eating their way across their island.

What did you think of the alternate ending? I'm going to wait for the DVD to see it again, but I saw it before they started running the alternate ending along with the film in the theaters.

I'm in Europe (Amsterdam, The Netherlands to be exact). I've done some searching, and it appears that the alternate ending was the original ending, and was replaced with something more "upbeat". Appearantly the die-hard horror fans thought the happy ending was crappy, so the company that produced the film put the dark ending in theatres from july 25th.

I would think that the DVD contained both endings.

• 7 months later...
Don't you mean "George A Romero"... Spook

Uhmmmm....yeah, of course....did I say John? :unsure::D

"George A" sounds like "John" doesn't it?

Thank God this never happens with the names of my girlfriends at the wrong time :lol:

Saw the new trailer. Man that's going to be a verrry cool movie. Can't wait!

Yeah, the new version of "Dawn of the Dead" looks really scary!

I was scared by the previews when the little girl jumped up and went Zombie on her parents ... very creepy. Her posture and body movement combined with the creative camera work really did the trick.

I'm going to see this ASAP. Fortunately I have a full case of XM193 5.56x45mm ammo in the back of my truck in case any hordes of killer mutant cannibal zombies attack me as I'm leaving the theater.

Always be prepared! ;)

They played the first 10 minutes of it on USA during Monday's presentation of Final Destination (ironic that that was on since this is finals week at school ;) ).

It looks badass. I vaguely remember the original; it's been on sometime in the last two years on one of the movie channels... first and only time I saw it.

No nonsensical background story trying to build up to the action or anything (no sense in making a B-movie bad by trying to make it an A-movie, ya know?), it just goes straight into being bloody. Mikey likes.

As for the little girl, she's a next door neighbor that the blonde rollerskates with... or somesuch.

The freakiest thing is how quickly the zombies move. Being used to all the other zombie flicks where they move slow (which does kinda add to the suspense), it adds a bunch of shock value when they're moving like lightning.

A couple more spoilers...

Her husband/boyfriend is bitten by the neighbor girl and goes zombie. The blonde escapes, gets outside and sees mayhem. She gets into the car and gets it started with hubby on the hood of the car attempting to bust the windshield. She then tears out of the driveway and gets headed down the road with hubby running after her... it looks like its going to be a long run for him, but there's another neighbor out in her yard and hubby peels off and starts gnawing on her. We've been viewing hubby from inside the car, at first through the windshield and then from the front seat through the back window... for whatever reason the way that he peeled off struck me as funny and I almost choked to death (was taking a swig of water at the time).

Final spoiler is that there does seem to be a bit of incongruity... even in the first 10 minutes. The little girl zombie seems to know how to use door knobs as the blonde locks the door in her face and the doorknob gets rattled a bunch. Then when hubby goes zombie, the blonde goes flying into the bathroom and slams the door behind her without locking it--unless I blinked, that is. Hubby then puts his head through the door without ever trying the doorknob. Not the kinda thing that would ruin a movie for me, but I'm just anal enough that I noticed.

Anyway, yeah, I'll see it... looks fun. B)

I remember going to see the origianal Dawn of the Dead when it came out. Way cool. Im going Sunday to see the new one at a local spot. Just remember Joeseph, ya gotta shoot 'em in the head!

I remember going to see the origianal Dawn of the Dead when it came out. Way cool. Im going Sunday to see the new one at a local spot. Just remember Joeseph, ya gotta shoot 'em in the head!

We really need to get those USAS 12ga guns de-regulated for just such an emergency!

In the meantime, I'll be taking the Rem 1100 with me (in addition to the AR, of course) everywhere I go.

I might not take both into the theater with me, though. The managers prefer that I only bring one long gun with me since "the incident." ;)

I was going to go see the movie tomorrow at the earliest show in Lafayette, but BigDave is taunting me with some shooting practice. It's a tough decision, but it looks like I'll have to wait until Tuesday to see the movie. RATS!

Heh... speaking of USAS-12s, I love how that's the weapon of choice against Replicators on SG1. They got good prop guys on that show. :)

Indeed ... I like Maj. Carter's current short barrelled AR with the freefloat tube and a Beta-C mag! She can rock with that baby!

We're going to see the movie at the first matinee today.

I'll be the one dressed like a tactibilly, carrying the 35-inch black nylon case with five pockets on the sides. :rolleyes:

I won't identify who's going with me in case there's lots of screaming like little girls during the scary parts (hint: he's very tall). I'm sure he'll identify himself in the aftermath, especially when I imply that I was not a 'fraidy cat.

I think I'll take an extra flashlight. The four I usually carry (two Scorpions on the belt, one UK2L in the pocket, and a Brinkman two cell Lithium in the vest pocket) may not be adequate for this occasion. That doesn't count the light on the AR (a Streamlight G2 Nitrolon). You can't wax killer mutant cannibal zombies if you can't see their heads. ;)

Now, should I take my blankie to hide behind when it gets really bad, or just close my eyes? :unsure:

The freakiest thing is how quickly the zombies move. Being used to all the other zombie flicks where they move slow (which does kinda add to the suspense), it adds a bunch of shock value when they're moving like lightning.

That's what I really liked about 28 days later. The slow zombies are scary when there's a lot of them in confined spaces, but in a mall, with lots of open space I'd prefer the fast ones B)

Eh, I don't know what I was worried about. I wasn't scared at all. <-- LYING

I was calm and collected during the whole show. I'm not sure if BigDave got a little nervous,

but he looked composed and comfortable the whole time. <-- more LYING

:unsure:

Okay ... my pulse and respiration are finally returning to normal, but I'm still a little on edge.

"Dawn of the Dead" scared the crap out of me! I don't know what kind of sounds I was making because I was too busy trying to hide in my seat. I'm pretty sure I peed a little a couple of times.

I haven't seen a truly scary movie in a long time, but this was it. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. :unsure::blink: The whole package had me caught in the world of the movie until well after the credits were finished. The people who produced this movie did their jobs well.

The question is, do we go see it again while it's in the theater, or wait for the DVD?

Oh, and the theater management really should let me know ahead of time that the projection screen isn't suitable for live fire (a la FATS systems). I really don't know what else they expected me to do under those circumstances. Any time I see a bunch of killer mutant cannibal zombies coming at me, naturally I'm going to start putting rounds through those undead upper A zones. Oddly, most of the other patrons chose to leave early. Perhaps there was a special on Sno-Caps or Raisinettes at the snack bar? :unsure:

On the bright side, I'm glad I remembered to drop a couple of extra loaded magazines in my vest pocket before I left the house. A guy has to have gettin' home ammo, right? ;)