Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield HiCap

JeffCSR

Anyone use these in competition? I only found 1 thread that was 2-3 yrs old. I have 1 and question the durability as a high round count competition gun. Springfield has discontinued them and only offer a "G.I." version although I haven't handled one yet.

Any input is appreciated.

I read a thread on 1911forum.com where a user had 2 of these guns and they both suffered cracked frames. Since this gun isn't that popular with that crowd I was hoping to hear more on this forum. When Isearched thru here I discovered only 1 thread and it also contained a user complaing of cracked frames... So I'm a little worried about shooting mine.

Am I overeacting? Or are cracked frames just part of the game (weld it up and get back to shootin...) Or is the frame trash after it cracks?

Doesn't Robbie shoot one?

The problem with that is the only thing that Robbie shoots that we can buy is the XD :rolleyes: In the end your shooting a para, even takes para mags. Somebody on here made GM with a really sweet one that Rich from Canyon Creek tricked out. I was going to go that way but ended up following the leader and going STI. STIs are lighter, have better mags, come in .40 :-)

Edited by steel1212

There are something about the the para frames that i like over the S_I platform though.

If that is the case and you have the funds to turn a .45 into a .40 or to shoot .45 in limited then brother have at it! I think the loaded model high caps are better guns that the paras anyway. :cheers:

Jeff... that's a great hi-cap loaded you've got there! Very nice indeed. I wish they still made them, but market demand for hi-cap 1911's of any brand is very, very small compared to market demand for single stack 1911's.

I have a Springfield Hi-Cap GI model which has turned out to be a really wonderful gun. I really, really like shooting this gun... very soft shooter in .45 due to the weight and large in-hand contact surface area to spread the recoil out nicely.

For mags, I bought a few nickel plated MecGar 13-round mags and installed Wollf Xtra power mag springs in them and the gun is stone reliable. Of course the sights on the GI model were pretty much useless, so for a while I used the slide (for the sights) off one of my early Kimber 1911's and the set-up was SWEET!

I wanted to return the slide to the Kimber, so I did. At present, the gun is with John Harrison for a sweeping make-over. Premium parts throughout, night sights, and everything refinished in IonBond DLC BLACK is what will return. I can't wait to get it back. I love the gun!

Here's what it looked like with the Kimber slide on it.

Kimfield_Custom-1292.jpg

Kimfield_Custom-1288.jpg

Kimfield_Custom-1286.jpg

Kimfield_Custom-1281.jpg

I'd like to find another if I can.

I asked Dave Williams at Springfield Custom Shop about frame cracking and he said it is not an issue at all. He also said that they have replacement frames if a replacement frame was ever needed. I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by DHart

Very cool DHart, great seeing you over here too, the internet truely is a small world!!

I recognize your gun, didn't realize that was you though :cheers:

The only slide I have to play 'swap' with is a Springfield Loaded w/Novak sights.

I've cracked 2 frames on a SA high cap. Using nothing but factory 230. No longer have the gun. Gun would run until the frame cracks then FTF ever other round.

SA was great at replacing the frame, when they replaced the frame the second time they installed a new barrel. Never shot the gun after that I just left it at the GS.

edit:

I had the semi loaded one.

Edited by Gregory_k

I've cracked 2 frames on a SA high cap. Using nothing but factory 230. No longer have the gun. Gun would run until the frame cracks then FTF ever other round.

SA was great at replacing the frame, when they replaced the frame the second time they installed a new barrel. Never shot the gun after that I just left it at the GS.

edit:

I believe you were one of the original users I read who had issue of broken frames. Had you put a lot of rounds thru these between failures?

I've got a couple of them. Haven't had any cracking issues and honestly, have done a decent job of putting one of them through the paces.

I'm a fan.

J

That's good news... hoping to find all the positive feedback on these guns :)

I exchange emails with Springfield a while ago, less than a year. The Hi cap is available in almost any 45 model. You do have to ask/order it but they ARE available.

Also good news! Since it's no longer on the web-site I had wondered.

I found the communication I had with the Springfield Custom shop.It was June of this year. Here it is in its entirety:

There are very few pictures of the custom shop pistols online. However, we are able to build you whatever you want in a custom 1911-A1 model, with some exceptions. Listed below is the basic package for the high capacity 1911-A1 .40S&W that Rob uses in Limited class competitions. It can be varied to meet your individual needs and wants, as it has been for him. Please feel free to contact me at any time with any questions, comments, or concerns.

PC9751: High Capacity Ltd. 1911-A1

Features:

Custom fit slide to national match high capacity frame

Custom fit match barrel & bushing

Polished feed ramp & throated barrel

Springfield Custom tool steel match hammer & sear

Custom speed trigger w/custom tuned 3.5 lb. trigger pull

Tuned for total reliability

Lowered & flared ejection port

Tuned & polished extractor

Full length recoil spring guide w/recoil buffer system

Springfield Custom fitted beavertail grip safety

Extended ambidextrous thumb safety

Low mount Bomar rear sight w/dovetail front sight

Beveled & polished magazine well

Hand checkered flat mainspring housing

Serrated front strap

360 degree magazine well, matched to bevel on frame

Checkered thin Springfield grips

Premium matte blue finish

Lightening cuts in slide (optional at additional charge)

Fiber optic dovetail front sight (optional at additional charge)

Squared trigger guard (optional at additional charge)

Deb

Custom Shop Coordinator

Springfield Custom

420 West Main St.

Geneseo, IL 61254

800-617-6751

customshop@springfield-armory.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: sharonanne9x23@msn.com [mailto:sharonanne9x23@msn.com]

Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 2:16 AM

To: Deb Else

Subject: wide body

I have seen nowhere in your web pages that one can find information on wide body 1911s such as what TGO uses in USPSA Limited class matches.

The Springfield HC frame that has the plunger tube riveted on is the better frame(forged). The newer HC frame with the with the plunger tube that is part of the frame isn't as good(cast). The forged frame will accept S_I mags with the mag catch modified. I've only come a crossed one cracked frame and Springfield replaced it, I've had a number of them come into the shop.

Rich

If the Para and the Springfield are the same frame...have no worry. I have a Para pin gun (Para frame) that has digested many thousands of very hot pin loads and has no signs of cracks or wear. The pin loads have a power factor of around 215! That is a lot of thump.

Buddy

edit:

I believe you were one of the original users I read who had issue of broken frames. Had you put a lot of rounds thru these between failures?

1st time yes several cases worth. Frame was Made in CA, 2nd time not as many maybe 2 to 4k frame was Brazil.

I've got two, both non-loaded military, one remained 45, added bo-mar rear site and dawson nose cap, wilson beavertail, kart barrel it will use the springfield or para magazines with dawon base pads and get 16 or 17 in magazine (can remember getting old) every now and then had ftf issue but was bad ammo, ajusted that and it rain fine. Other on had rebuilt in 40 by local gunsmith and never did run right :angry2: , put them away 3 yrs ago when remodling home and health became first priorty, but that's all done now, hoping to restart next year, bottom line if you have a GOOD gunsmith slightly modifiy your springfield hc and strighting your magazines and good ammo, it will run like a striped ape :cheers:

CDNN's web site has listed Para 15+1 mags. I have 4 and they each hold 16 reloadable 45 ACP's.

Have not tried to fit them in a box yet. It might be close.

I use them in a Bul M5 by Charles Daley. It's slide cracked after about 25,000 192 PF loads. CD replaced it with no problem.

I use 172 PF loads now.

It shoots real nice but I retired it when I got my STI Edge in 40.

Hey Jeffcsr.... great to see you too! :cheers:

I think the SA hi-cap is a great 1911 indeed.

That "swappin" slide you've got is a goodie to pop onto a GI hi-cap.

Of course, if you order one from Springfield, you won't need to be

doin' any swappin!

Can't wait to get my customized hi-cap back from John Harrison!

Let us know what you wind up doing.