Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring Question

kend

It may be a simple answer but I've looked around and didn't see it in the rule book or here so I'll ask... the max time per stage is 30 secs, IF I were to shoot a stage consistently in the 25 second range is there a penalty for drawing to the stop plate and taking the 12 second penalties for the 4 missed plates? Let's say my draw at that speed (speed?) is 5 seconds, add the 4 missed plates and I have a time of 17 seconds. I just saved 8 seconds over shooting all 5 plates. Penalties?

That's 30 seconds per run, not stage. Your time would be 68 seconds for the stage.

Yep, I meant string, let me re-figure this with the right numbers....4 strings X 25 secs = 100 seconds for the stage. 4 strings X 17 secs = 68 seconds for the stage. 32 seconds saved over 'trying' to shoot all the plates. (Does this look right?)

How much fun would it be to draw and shoot 1 steel plate 5 times anyway??

None for me but if somebody that was very slow used this as their strategy to win a stage, is there anything in the rules to prevent it?

How would this win a stage? The best are doing the whole thing under 80 seconds! I even think the average would be around 130 seconds.

Ok, it wouldn't 'win' a stage, let's just say you could have a better stage time doing this than you could by shooting it as it's supposed to be shot, IF you were that slow. Or, you wanted to just because you can, is there anything in the rules to prevent it?

How much fun would it be to draw and shoot 1 steel plate 5 times anyway??

None for me but if somebody that was very slow used this as their strategy to win a stage, is there anything in the rules to prevent it?

Rules? Probably not, but how about a simple code of honor or desire to improve? Sportsmanship perhaps. If someone is going to pull something like that why even participate?

Do you care to explain why you would even consider such a thing? By shooting it the way you describe you will still be at the bottom of the results and have an almost zero chance of ever improving. Not to mention what everyone else will think of you for not even trying.

<_< come on down to San Antonio and we will wash all them kinda thoughts out of your head ;)

The old missed plate penalty used to be 5 seconds for the past several years it is 3 seconds.

With it at 3 seconds some revolver shooters will snap into the stop plate it they have more than one miss on a run. as a for instance, Linda has a hard time betting a 3 second reload to the stop plate. so if she gets off with a few shots she stops the clock. The this years world shoot she only did that two times for the entire match, and only one of those ended up on her "keeper" score.

I assume that this was a hypothetical question. However if it is not, you just need to practice and your times will drop. Practice the draw and the first shot and everything else will fall in place.

Good Luck

Either hypothetical, or kend is looking to drop kick someone at the match he shoots at. Sounds like they might need a swift kick. :rolleyes:

Steel Challenge has no FTDR of any sort, and this is the Steel Challenge subforum.

Not-shooting plates is a perfectly valid way to shoot the stage. As Jamie says, Revo and Cowboy shooters sometimes choose that option when they are about to run dry.

However, it seems unlikely that somebody could draw and consistently shoot the stop plate in 5 seconds and not be able to shoot any of the other plates in less than 3 more seconds unless they're shooting a muzzleloader or something. All the stages except Pendulum and 5 to Go have easier plates than the stop on them.