Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Build Suggestions

rider82

I'm in the process of deciding about which parts to purchase for an open gun. I plan on using the lower from my Eagle and adding a Koenig hammer. I was thinking about purchasing an STI slide, and possibly a Brazos modified S-2 comp. At this point I don't plan on popple holes. I'm hearing that some smith's prefer non bull barrels and cone type comps for weight reasons(slide speed?). I'm looking for general observations on the slide/barrel/comp issue. Being new to open guns, and the amount of money this is going to cost, I'd like to get this close to right from the beginning. What are some known good combinations. I want the gun primarily for steel, but would like the ability to shoot major if necessary. Thanks in advance.

I'm in the process of deciding about which parts to purchase for an open gun. I plan on using the lower from my Eagle and adding a Koenig hammer. I was thinking about purchasing an STI slide, and possibly a Brazos modified S-2 comp. At this point I don't plan on popple holes. I'm hearing that some smith's prefer non bull barrels and cone type comps for weight reasons(slide speed?). I'm looking for general observations on the slide/barrel/comp issue. Being new to open guns, and the amount of money this is going to cost, I'd like to get this close to right from the beginning. What are some known good combinations. I want the gun primarily for steel, but would like the ability to shoot major if necessary. Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest talking with the smith that's going to build the gun and see what they like to work with. Some have very particular preferences they've come to over the years. For a steel gun you can go with a shorter, lighter slide setup that will give you a gun that's quick handling and flat shooting, but it'll be a bit snappier if you run major ammo through it. Most smiths should be able to set you up with a decent compromise that will work great for both. If I was going to shoot steel a lot I'd just come up with a lighter load and spring combo for my shorty Open guns and not be worried one bit about the gun holding me back.

Bull barrels will add a little weight to the slide compared with a non-bull and a cone comp setup (depends on the exact parts of course). For steel you're probably going to want to keep the gun light since you're not shooting multiple shots on each target and you want less weight for faster transitions.

STI and Caspian both make good slides, but lately it seems hard to come by the STI slides for some reason. I'm a little biased about barrels, but I think Schuemann makes the best barrel out there. Most of the good smiths I know like them because they take less effort to fit. KKM, Bar-Sto, Kart, and Nowlin all make outstanding barrels and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

If you're interested, I have a brand new Brazos Thundercomp 2 (cone for non-bull barrels) and a new Caspian 9/38S slide with front and rear cocking serrations, but no sight cuts. The slide has the Area-2 Desert Classic gecko logo and "Desert Classic" engraved on the right side...pretty cool looking. Either or both would save you a fair amount over retail prices (normally the comp is $179 and the slide is $247 at retail).

I have two new 9mm Open guns that were built with cone comps at the suggestion of my gunsmith. Both have run 100% since day one. They both were built with Caspian slides and Nowlin barrels. I have had very good luck with Schueman and Nowlin barrels. Just my opinion on what I have that I know works.

If I were building a gun primarily for steel and a little USPSA I would suck it up and shoot minor for USPSA. I want a steel gun absolutely as light as it gets, light enough that it would not be prudent to shoot major ammo through it.

The Brazos comp is a really good comp, and very light for a steel comp.

I also wouldn't convert your eagle, I would just pick up a frame and start over. I won't ever build another on a frame that I didn't cut, way more hassle than it is worth.

I seem to be leaning toward a 5 inch gun. I have only shot one open gun, a full size in 40 cal(Flyin40). What are he disadvantages of a lightened 5 inch compared to a shorty, are we talking 2-3 ounces. At this point I'm shooting an Edge and don't know how a light gun would feel, I guess I'm trying to split the difference. I do like the looks of the Brazos comp. HSmith, Thanks for the heads up on the frame, I guess I was just trying to reduce the pain of the build.

My personal Open gun is a 5" gun too, I have built and shot a BUNCH of short guns and try to talk people out of them. There is nothing a short gun will do that a 5" gun can't, including making the same weight and balance point. I personally like a relatively light full 5" Open gun, only one hole in the barrel (same one it had when you bought it ;) ) with a light comp and a slide balanced to meet the weight of the barrel/comp assembly. My open gun is about 4 ounces lighter than your Edge and balances on the face of the short trigger.

Pick one, steel or USPSA. Build the gun for what you will do most with it, and limp it through the other sport. Steel guns aren't major power factor guns and USPSA guns aren't steel guns, but you can do both sports with either. Just recognize the compromise you make to do so.

I don't think there is much, if any, compromise. Some of the best shooters...with the best transitions...shoot with heavy guns. I think it all comes down to your personal frame of mind. (and, I'm not saying one is better than the other...just different)

- Some pick up a gun that is 90-95% there from them. They then look at it and ask what they can change about the gun to make it better.

- Others will take that 90-95% gun and ask how what they need to do (personally) to make it better.

I am...most decidedly...in the "pick one and practice" camp. So, take the following with that in mind.

In my experience, newer shooters (and most of the seasoned ones too) benefit from have a more robust open gun. It doesn't jitter around on them.

A more robust gun should also be easier on the gun and on the shooter (especially at Major). It will soak up some of the beating.

It will probably run a little bit better too...when the shooter gets a marginal grip on it.

You can always take weight off the gun later. Putting weight on after it's been lightened...much more limited on the options (don't get it chromed right off, either way).

Have you made up your mind to be a World Champion in Steel Challenge, or will this be more for local stuff?

Open guns and resale....hmmmm. Well, there are far more USPSA Open shooters than there are steel Open gun shooters.

Flex, resale is one of things I'm thinking about. If I build a gun that I know can make major with no problem, it seems like I'm not limiting myself to steel shooters. I guess that's why I'm thinking a full size with some slide lightning. I agree with you on the weight issue, I think I will prefer a slightly heavier gun. One more question, how do most people finish out the build as far as frame parts, do they go with the completion kits, or buy parts individually?

Flex, resale is one of things I'm thinking about. If I build a gun that I know can make major with no problem, it seems like I'm not limiting myself to steel shooters. I guess that's why I'm thinking a full size with some slide lightning. I agree with you on the weight issue, I think I will prefer a slightly heavier gun. One more question, how do most people finish out the build as far as frame parts, do they go with the completion kits, or buy parts individually?

They let their smith decide. ;)

resale is one of things I'm thinking about

Resale should be the last thing you should be thinking about. Make the gun what you want it to be, fit it to your shooting style, and then run it until it needs a complete rebuild or replacement.

If you look at resale, first you will be making compromises to what you perceive a future buyer might want in a gun, not what you need in a gun. Second, you will never get back the dollars you put into an open gun.

Also, make sure it has a slide racker. Just MHO.

Bill

They let their smith decide. ;)

+1

What Matt (and others) said...

Most smiths have pieces and parts that they prefer working with. Ask them what they would like to use and ask them why. They should be able to give a solid answer. If that doesn't jive with what you want, then hold off on the order.

I am speaking from personal experience here. I had a 9 major with the S-2 cone comp and a Nowlin barrel. (Would still have it if I had not switched to a DR mounted gun)

I talked directly to Brazo's before I bought the that comp. The comp is designed to have more gas put through it than you are going to produce shooting steel loads. I used Silhouette and 121/125 grain loads. It took a power factor of about 170 to get the dot to stay straight up and down and within the lens. I don't believe you want to shoot that high of a PF in a steel gun.

:surprise:

Ask George at EGW which comp he has that works best for what you want, He will sell you the

right one, He has several differant comps he makes and knows whats what.

For steel guns I use a four port comp that has extra material on the end so you can

remove a little at a time to balance the thingout.

If you go with what your smith says you should do , you wont go wrong.

Or you can aks differaant shooters to try out their guns and give your smith some ideas

to help you along , If you go with a steel gun that is pretty and cool you probaly did wrong.

Jim/PA

sailors :sight::devil:

I just had EGW build an open gun I plan to use for Steel Challenge. It started out as a Springfield 1911 9mm with a Kart barrel. I had them lighten the slide, put on a 3-port steel comp, a magwell and checker the frontstrap. Also had a 2 pound trigger job and a c-more mounted. Finally it was hard-chromed and I put on VZ Diamond back grips. They did a great job.

post-11116-1226506464_thumb.jpg

post-11116-1226506483_thumb.jpg

post-11116-1226506500_thumb.jpg

Edited by speculatorking

I shot a 38 SC shorty for several years, when I had my two new open guns built in 9mm I had them built full size based on advise from my gunsmith. I will never go back to a shorty. They function 100% and have since the first magazine I ran thru them.